6MT - which engine?

• Total voters
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey Everyone!!

I am in the market for a new car, and right now a 6MT 10th gen Accord is in the lead. I am leaning toward a used 18-19 in Sport trim, but trying to decide between the 1.5T and 2.0T engines. The 1.5T is much easier to find, and so far I actually have not found a suitable 2.0T with a 6MT. Obviously the 2.0T has more power, but are there any other factors I should consider? Is one more reliable or cheaper to maintain than the other? Gas mileage seems fairly close and isn't a huge concern.

EDIT: I added a poll option for the 2.0T 10AT as well. I am a big fan of MT's but am open to getting the AT. Anyone happen to have driven both (2.0T 6MT and 10AT)? I have not driven a honda CVT, but in general I am not a big fan of CVT's. My Girlfriend has a Crosstrek CVT, and something about the way it drives I just don't like.

Thank You!!

·
Registered
22 Posts
When I looked into it- The 2 Liter had heated seats and a sunroof.. I utilize the sunroof almost all the time I drive. I average around 24 to 27 mpg with it. It feels considerably faster for sure- but I haven't gone anywhere close to redline or taken it to the limit. I don't know about the reliability or maintenance costs. I only have 9k on mine so far.

Only thing I can tell you is- it feels damn good to overtake someone with ease. I had a camry before (2011 CE) and it was such a struggle to overtake above 50 mph.

The other cars I was looking into around the time I got the accord was the Jetta GLI and Genesis G70.. both of them offer stick too.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
When I looked into it- The 2 Liter had heated seats and a sunroof.. I utilize the sunroof almost all the time I drive. I average around 24 to 27 mpg with it. It feels considerably faster for sure- but I haven't gone anywhere close to redline or taken it to the limit. I don't know about the reliability or maintenance costs. I only have 9k on mine so far.

Only thing I can tell you is- it feels damn good to overtake someone with ease. I had a camry before (2011 CE) and it was such a struggle to overtake above 50 mph.

The other cars I was looking into around the time I got the accord was the Jetta GLI and Genesis G70.. both of them offer stick too.
Thanks! I am hoping to drive a 2.0L 10AT EX this weekend. I'm not sure if I can bring myself to get an automatic (my current truck is MT and I have always owned/loved MT's) but I might do it. I know the AT is both faster in a straight line and probably better on gas, but there is just so much more fun factor when you have to shift IMO. We shall see :)

·
Super Moderator
1,650 Posts
Never have driven the MT or 1.5 Gen X Accord's and when I was looking into purchase neither were in the discussion. I have owned a MT Honda (daughter's first car) and they are easy to drive, however for me I didn't want to be constantly shifting gears in city driving. Older and arthritic now makes it not as fun as it was in the past. What I did want was the performance of the 2.0T and have not been disappointed.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I have the 2.0T manual. I drove the 1.5 CVT when I had a loaner and it was snooze inducing. Do yourself a favor and hold out for a 2.0T with manual. You will be entertained for far longer with a manual not to mention the power and buttery smoothness of the 2.0. If you are concerned about reliability I have a hunch the manual transmission will last a lot longer than the automatic.

·
Registered
2020 Sport 2.0T
1 Posts
I suggest the 2.0T for many reasons, including the ancillary options that come at that trim. I drove both the day I bought my 2.0T and to me at least it was no contest. The regular sport felt nimble but I wouldn't quite say fast. I basically bought the 2 because of the rear facing vents, larger screen and sunroof. However, it shocked me with how hard it pulled on the way home from the dealership, I had no idea it would have torque like that. I sided against manual in the end, in part because of problems with my knee but now I am happy I didn't get the 6MT. The manual in the 6MT is considered a mediocre manual transmission with a mediocre clutch. But the 10 speed they stuff into the 2.0T is actually mostly used as an Acura transmission in large, powerful models. Its tough as nails and amazingly sporty. They tune it to allow for engine braking which is very unique in an AT. Its also such a quick transmission that the 10AT is about .8 seconds faster in the quarter mile than the manual. I know people running 400 WHP through the 10 speed and its held up for some time. My advice is to not hold out for 6MT if its the difference between 1.5 and 2. Get the 2.0T even if it means getting the automatic.

·
Registered
38 Posts
We have the 2.0 AT. It’s crazy’s fast for a family sedan. The one thing I don’t like is that first gear is so low the you get more wheel spin than acceleration when you launch on a wet road. I live in snow country so that is important to me. YMMV

·
Registered
21 Posts
I suggest the 2.0T for many reasons, including the ancillary options that come at that trim. I drove both the day I bought my 2.0T and to me at least it was no contest. The regular sport felt nimble but I wouldn't quite say fast. I basically bought the 2 because of the rear facing vents, larger screen and sunroof. However, it shocked me with how hard it pulled on the way home from the dealership, I had no idea it would have torque like that. I sided against manual in the end, in part because of problems with my knee but now I am happy I didn't get the 6MT. The manual in the 6MT is considered a mediocre manual transmission with a mediocre clutch. But the 10 speed they stuff into the 2.0T is actually mostly used as an Acura transmission in large, powerful models. Its tough as nails and amazingly sporty. They tune it to allow for engine braking which is very unique in an AT. Its also such a quick transmission that the 10AT is about .8 seconds faster in the quarter mile than the manual. I know people running 400 WHP through the 10 speed and its held up for some time. My advice is to not hold out for 6MT if its the difference between 1.5 and 2. Get the 2.0T even if it means getting the automatic.
The mediocre clutch and shifter seems to be born of the few Youtube reveiwers who were not impressed. Savagegeese comes to mind. Most people took this as sacrosanct and the opinions of a few became the general consensus. No wonder Honda canceled the manual for 2021. Imagine if people actually drove the manual and experienced the exact opposite how many would have bought it and another manual optioned car would have been saved? Maybe my car is the exception, but the shifter is every bit as good as the last 15 Honda's I have owned. As much as people convince themselves they are getting a "fun" experience with an automatic, I assure you it is not the case. I suppose the bad mouthing of the manual convinced many to stay away, as will praising the 10 AT will convince drivers it's great.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts