2018 Honda Accord Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I just replaced the battery in my 2019 2.0T, 6MT. Needed two jumps in two weeks (including 18 hours on a battery tender between the first and the second jump). I was surprised, given that:
1) the car was 3 years, 4 months old
2) at the 20k service, a month earlier, the battery tested good
3) because I don’t put in a lot of miles, I put the battery on a battery tender for at least 24 hours, twice a year.
4) the service writer suggested I was lucky to get 3 years out of it. What the heck??

What’s this group’s experience been? Have you replaced your battery? How many months of service before replacing? How many miles? What kind of driving patterns/what climate are you in? I’m in Florida; car gets out 3-4x per week… mostly short (15 minute) trips. Car is garaged at home.

·
Administrator
2,865 Posts
I too drive my car (2018) very little (currently at 10.8 K) and replaced my battery in Aug 2021 (about 49 months). With all the electronics in our cars it will wear on a battery, especially if it's not driven much and those trips are short mileage. Since I don't drive my car much, I try to take it on a 50/60-minute highway drive couple times a month. This helps the battery charge back up and also get oil up to operating temperature to burn off any impurities.

You mentioned your car is garaged and you use the battery tender twice a year you may get better luck/longevity of the battery if you kept it connected at all times when it's in the garage. I own a motorcycle that I use a battery tender on and keep it connected at all times when parked. I've gotten 6 - 8 years or longer out of a battery doing this.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I too drive my car (2018) very little (currently at 10.8 K) and replaced my battery in Aug 2021 (about 49 months). With all the electronics in our cars it will wear on a battery, especially if it's not driven much and those trips are short mileage. Since I don't drive my car much, I try to take it on a 50/60-minute highway drive couple times a month. This helps the battery charge back up and also get oil up to operating temperature to burn off any impurities.

You mentioned your car is garaged and you use the battery tender twice a year you may get better luck/longevity of the battery if you kept it connected at all times when it's in the garage. I own a motorcycle that I use a battery tender on and keep it connected at all times when parked. I've gotten 6 - 8 years or longer out of a battery doing this.
Thanks for the feedback. What part of the country do you live in?

I get your points about the demands the electronics put on the car; and also about keeping the car on a battery charger more often. However I'm given to think about the fact that I got through 18 years of ownership of my last vehicle, a 3-series 2003 BMW that I bought new, that lived it's entire life in Cincinnati and Minneapolis (think COLD!), that was driven even fewer miles/year in the second half of it's life (avg 4k miles/year from 2007-2019), and was going strong on just it's 3rd battery when I sold it last year. I think a battery life of 3-4 years speaks to an significant under-engineering of the electrical system...either the alternator or the battery, of our cars. But let's see what other Accord owners have experienced, before drawing conclusions. Also, I pity the owner who lives in cold weather, who parks their car out-of-doors, and/or who doesn't have access to plug in their car to a battery tender on a regular basis. If 3-4 years for you and me is the "best case scenario" what does the average, or worst case look like?

·
Administrator
2,865 Posts
@Bill in SRQ I live in the northern part of Southeast USA. I would be interested in knowing who makes the "Honda" branded battery... that may provide information as to the quality of the battery. I didn't replace mine with another "Honda" battery... replaced with a DieHard. Time will tell if it lasts longer than the OEM branded one. :unsure:

·
Registered
15 Posts
I work for an Acura dealer and in our area we see them usually last around 3 years with all of the electronics and computers constantly pulling on them. From what we know we get ours from Interstate. We do offer better warranties on the batteries than most of the aftermarket options. for us that the major selling point 3yr free replacement and a total coverage of 100 mo.

·
Registered
2 Posts
So I just replaced the battery in my 2019 2.0T, 6MT. Needed two jumps in two weeks (including 18 hours on a battery tender between the first and the second jump). I was surprised, given that:
1) the car was 3 years, 4 months old
2) at the 20k service, a month earlier, the battery tested good
3) because I don’t put in a lot of miles, I put the battery on a battery tender for at least 24 hours, twice a year.
4) the service writer suggested I was lucky to get 3 years out of it. What the heck??

What’s this group’s experience been? Have you replaced your battery? How many months of service before replacing? How many miles? What kind of driving patterns/what climate are you in? I’m in Florida; car gets out 3-4x per week… mostly short (15 minute) trips. Car is garaged at home.
My car is a 2019 2.0 and today my battery started smoking and smelling like sulfur. Has this happned to anyone else?

·
Registered
2018 Accord Sport 1.5T
6 Posts
2018 2.0T Touring with 52K miles. Battery still going strong (last tested in August at 90%) after 4 years 8 months. Has anyone replaced the battery with an AGM? What's your experience?
2018 Accord Sport 1.5T. My factory battery lasted until 8/8/2021. Replaced it with an Interstate AGM from Costco. (Gray/Silver Battery). It’s been great! The OEM battery was going out slowly. Noticed my Screen was dimming and wouldn’t go to full brightness anymore. Then I installed a Kicker Amp and Kicker Comp R 12 sub, which spelled the end for that battery. 🤣. Another reason why I went with AGM. They last a lot longer and are more efficient, especially with high power pull from all the electronic gizmos and added audio system. 💪🏼

·
Registered
76 Posts
2018 2.0T Touring with 52K miles. Battery still going strong (last tested in August at 90%) after 4 years 8 months. Has anyone replaced the battery with an AGM? What's your experience?
I replaced mine with a XS-POWER D4800. I also have 2 lithiums in my trunk XS-POWER Titan8. I run a lil over 6kRMS across 4 amps. Same stock alternator and I hardly have any voltage drop. ⚡

·
Registered
24 Posts
I bought my Accord HYBRID new in the spring of 2018. The battery lasted until ONE week before the anniversary of buying it in the last year of its initial warranty. It did all sorts of very strange things before it finally quit, and I had no idea what was going on. I called AAA and they came to jump the car... it would not jump with what the guy had. He said it was like trying to Jump a rock. Just NOTHING there... no power in the battery at all. He had never seen one so dead. So the guy towed my Accord to the local dealer. They dealer say ..."yeah you need a new battery, we see this all the time. The factory batteries seem to last about three years", and I got in just under the wire so to speak.... The replacement didn't cost me anything. BUT now that I know how it all works I will replace the 12 volt battery just before three years goes by from now on... especially since I got another "factory battery" in the car.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I bought my Accord HYBRID new in the spring of 2018. The battery lasted until ONE week before the anniversary of buying it in the last year of its initial warranty. It did all sorts of very strange things before it finally quit, and I had no idea what was going on. I called AAA and they came to jump the car... it would not jump with what the guy had. He said it was like trying to Jump a rock. Just NOTHING there... no power in the battery at all. He had never seen one so dead. So the guy towed my Accord to the local dealer. They dealer say ..."yeah you need a new battery, we see this all the time. The factory batteries seem to last about three years", and I got in just under the wire so to speak.... The replacement didn't cost me anything. BUT now that I know how it all works I will replace the 12 volt battery just before three years goes by from now on... especially since I got another "factory battery" in the car.
Your story fits what I heard from my dealer. Apparently a 3-year battery life is the "New Normal."

1 - 11 of 11 Posts