2018 Honda Accord Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
Need schooling here.

If my plan goes well, Il end up buying a 2.0T Sport. However the 19 inch rims are a No Go for me.

I would like recommendations on normal 17 inch rims/tires to go with.

Is there any special work that needs to be done that I am unaware of? Will there be issue with the Pressure sensor or other meters/readings on the car that need to be modified if I were to change the wheels?

I do not need FANCY rims, they can be ugly old rims with hubcaps for all I care ( like every other car ive ever owned). I just want suggestions, recommendations, and of course any info so there are surprise costs or issues.

Thanks!

·
Administrator
2,545 Posts
Have no knowledge of what will work but Tire Rack would be a good resource to find tire and wheel combinations that would fit your car.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Man so many ugly and expensive options. I get the feeling im going to end up cheaping out and getting some really basic black rims in the 17 inch size.

The only ones I semi liked tht werent expensive were the
MOTEGI RACING
MR140

The cheap Tires:
KUMHO
ECSTA LX PLATINUM

I have no knowledge of either of these brands lol! I have no idea if the rims are sturdy, light or heavy, if the tires are good, crap or just Meh. Ive never once owned anything outside of pretty normal every day brands.

My Budget would be about 1k for the whole package if anyone has any other recommendations. Car Color will likely be the Luna Silver or the Darker Silver from there. Never White, and Never Black. So Black or Silver rims are good for me.

Has anyone ever had issues with going to the smaller size on the 2.0T sport? since I see people have had issues with the Tire Pressure sensor with aftermarket wheels, is there some sort of a calibration that needs to happen?

·
Administrator
2,545 Posts
Since the TPMS on the Accords doesn't measure the actual tire pressure once you install new wheels/tires and set pressure in all four a recalibration may be all that is needed. From Owner's Manual (page 497)...

"Tire Pressure Monitoring System (TPMS)
Instead of directly measuring the pressure in each tire, the TPMS on this vehicle monitors and compares the rolling radius and rotational characteristics of each wheel and tire while you are driving to determine if one or more tires are significantly under-inflated. This will cause the low tire pressure/TPMS indicator to come on and a message to appear on the driver information interface.

You must start TPMS calibration every time you:
• Adjust the pressure in one or more tires.
• Rotate the tires.
• Replace one or more tires.
Before calibrating the TPMS:
• Set the cold tire pressure in all four tires.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Very Interesting, so If I read that correctly, that is a calibration done by the car, not a mechanic?

What a lovely world we are in today lol

·
Administrator
2,545 Posts
Yep, done by the car not a mechanic... unless you want to call yourself a mechanic. :ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
22 Posts
The 17" wheels that are standard on the EX-L work fine. They have the resonators in them that supposedly keep noise down.
Talk to your dealer. They may trade for your 19" wheels even-up. They usually have some of the 17" around that they've removed when others 'upgraded' their EX-Ls to 19".

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
That s a damn good idea, otherwise il be stealing th wheels off my old 98 if it would fit. But I dont think they are the same lugnut config.

·
Registered
29 Posts
If you buy wheels, get ones that are flow formed. They're stronger and lighter. Otherwise really cheap cast wheels will eventually bend or break when they land in a pothole. Enkei Tuning 17" wheels go for $195 on Tire Rack.

I, too, suggest asking for a dealer swap for 17" wheels. But you might have trouble selling or trading in a Sport with 17" wheels.

If you live near NYC, I'll swap EX-L wheels for your Sport wheels. I bought Enkei 18" TFRs.

Reactions: StormX2

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
If you buy wheels, get ones that are flow formed. They're stronger and lighter. Otherwise really cheap cast wheels will eventually bend or break when they land in a pothole. Enkei Tuning 17" wheels go for $195 on Tire Rack.

I, too, suggest asking for a dealer swap for 17" wheels. But you might have trouble selling or trading in a Sport with 17" wheels.

If you live near NYC, I'll swap EX-L wheels for your Sport wheels. I bought Enkei 18" TFRs.
I will certainly keep that in mind. Though It may be some time before I am financially able to pull the trigger. Kind of just info gathering and making sure I wont have any major surprises.

I am not considered a knowledgeable car guy, so I have to do the painful research and digging through peoples problems before I can make a decision lol not to mention this will be the most expensive Car I have ever been interested in so i wont have extra funds just laying around to deal with busted rims or fancy tires..

·
Registered
5 Posts
Since the TPMS on the Accords doesn't measure the actual tire pressure once you install new wheels/tires and set pressure in all four a recalibration may be all that is needed. From Owner's Manual (page 497)...

"Tire Pressure Monitoring System (TPMS)
Instead of directly measuring the pressure in each tire, the TPMS on this vehicle monitors and compares the rolling radius and rotational characteristics of each wheel and tire while you are driving to determine if one or more tires are significantly under-inflated. This will cause the low tire pressure/TPMS indicator to come on and a message to appear on the driver information interface.

You must start TPMS calibration every time you:
• Adjust the pressure in one or more tires.
• Rotate the tires.
• Replace one or more tires.
Before calibrating the TPMS:
• Set the cold tire pressure in all four tires.
I never got an owner's manual with anything approaching 497 pages when I purchased my 2018 Accord 2.0T Touring. So can you tell me how to recalibrate the TPMS? None of the tires had low pressure relative to each other or relative to what I had filled them to a few days before when the TPMS warning came up. I refilled the tires after that and the warning still comes up every time I start the car. How do I get rid of the incorrect TPMS warning? Thanks in advance.

·
Administrator
2,545 Posts
I never got an owner's manual with anything approaching 497 pages when I purchased my 2018 Accord 2.0T Touring. So can you tell me how to recalibrate the TPMS? None of the tires had low pressure relative to each other or relative to what I had filled them to a few days before when the TPMS warning came up. I refilled the tires after that and the warning still comes up every time I start the car. How do I get rid of the incorrect TPMS warning? Thanks in advance.
You can download the owners manual at the Honda Owners website. Regarding getting a printed copy this is on the Honda Owners website -

"A printed Owner's Manual, Navigation Manual, and Warranty Booklet are complimentary to the first registered owner, up to six months after vehicle purchase. These manuals require a valid VIN and mailing address. Order now To purchase printed manuals, you can order online or contact:

Helm Incorporated
(800) 782-4356
M-F 8AM – 6PM EST

Delivery time is approximately five weeks."

You may still be able to get one but it may be at a cost now.

Instructions from manual are attached below....

·
Registered
5 Posts
You can download the owners manual at the Honda Owners website. Regarding getting a printed copy this is on the Honda Owners website -

"A printed Owner's Manual, Navigation Manual, and Warranty Booklet are complimentary to the first registered owner, up to six months after vehicle purchase. These manuals require a valid VIN and mailing address. Order now To purchase printed manuals, you can order online or contact:

Helm Incorporated
(800) 782-4356
M-F 8AM – 6PM EST

Delivery time is approximately five weeks."

You may still be able to get one but it may be at a cost now.

Instructions from manual are attached below....
View attachment 4079 View attachment 4081 View attachment 4082
Thanks. What you provided me with solved the TPMS problem. And I learned how/where to deal with a lot of other potential problems!

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
That's Awesome!
Thanks for providing that, glad someone was able to fix an issue as a result of me asking silly questions =)

·
Registered
21 Posts
Hello,
Need schooling here.

If my plan goes well, Il end up buying a 2.0T Sport. However the 19 inch rims are a No Go for me.

I would like recommendations on normal 17 inch rims/tires to go with.

Is there any special work that needs to be done that I am unaware of? Will there be issue with the Pressure sensor or other meters/readings on the car that need to be modified if I were to change the wheels?

I do not need FANCY rims, they can be ugly old rims with hubcaps for all I care ( like every other car ive ever owned). I just want suggestions, recommendations, and of course any info so there are surprise costs or issues.

Thanks!
If you don't like the wheels on the Sport model, then why would you consider buying one? Just buy an LX, it's cheaper and it comes with 17" wheels.

·
Registered
903 Posts
I have only had to use the Re_Calibration system once , since Purchased New . .27K = 2018 had it's Two Yr. Birthday 60 Days ago ..

I have Upped & Lowered Air Pressure many Time . . since Adding New Tires & Running extra Air Pressure 36 F 33R as soon as Weather changed big
We went into cold Fall , Only then I got a Warning . . First Time Ever . .

This may be do to Keeping Tire Pressures within .5 or 1/2 lb Psi . .

Just got Warning on Maintenance to Flush Brake Fluid

1 - 17 of 17 Posts