2018 Honda Accord Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While we've seen plenty of comparisons to that of the new Camry, VW's Passat is worth mentioning as well. The base Passat is actually cheaper than the new Accord, though there are some concerns with long term reliability and resale value. The new GT trim of the Passat is worth looking at for the VR6 engine alone. Here's a breakdown of specs.

·
Registered
736 Posts
Well New CC replacement will certainly even things Up as that Older Chassis is at Least 9 Years Older .

That said New Accord is Very Nice right Up there - Transmission is Better - Little Things Matter , Like when You Pull the Rear Seat Release the Seat needs to flop down ..
Why would I go all the way ti the Back , just so I have to walk around to the rear side Door Again to Lower the Seat ?
Plus Where the H are the Bag Carriers or Hooks - Every Car in America has Hooks . so $3.00 for No Hook & $2.00 Bucks for the Truck Seat Release with Spring that Flops Seat Forward ..
WOW maybe $4.00 US Dollars when they Buy those buy the Thousands . .

·
Registered
318 Posts
While they may be similar on paper, I think most people will find the driving characteristics in the Passat to be quite different. The VR6 engine is pretty impressive however, and its hard to find a 6 cylinder at the GT's price point.

·
Registered
163 Posts
The new Buick Regal is worth considering as well. 250 hp 2.0 turbo or 3.6 liter 310 hp V6, 8 & 9speed automatics, 2 or 4 wd, almost exactly the same size and profile as our Accord, and liftback utility. There is a station wagon available as well. The styling is gorgeous. Built in Germany by Opel. Pricing from the mid 20s through the low 40s list. Buick does have a history of heavy discounting after a year or so. I love my Accord Sport, but a need for the utility of this car has surfaced since my purchase. Media reports are positive but the driving dynamics are probably not as good as my Sport 2.0T. If Honda had offered a liftback, I wouldn’t be writing this.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Here is my 2 cents regarding a comparison of the Honda and VW. First the back story:

Have owned 3 Volkswagens in my adult life. I have also owned 2 Civics and 4 Accords.

Volkswagens are sturdy cars that run like a typical German car. However, there is a reason why VW has the 6/70K warranty. You can bet that there will be an expensive repair after the initial 36K period. All 3 of my VWs had expensive repairs around the 40K mark. My last VW purchase was a 2012 CC. There was an issue with the timing chain tensioner that was repaired under warranty. I went thru 4 sets of tires in 60K miles because of tire cupping that could NOT be fixed via an alignment. This issues with the suspension also lead to the replacement of the shocks which led me back to Honda. (Just Google VW litigation and you will find tons of class action lawsuits in addition to the Diesel deception.) I bought the CC as it was a great looking car that ran like my wife's Benz. Honda typically designed vanilla looking cars but the 18 designed drew me back to the Accord. I looked at Audi as well, but they are VWs with a high cost of ownership.

My point is VW can not hold a candle to Honda in terms of reliability and cost of ownership.

·
Registered
736 Posts
The Lift Back is going to be a Nice Feature on the New CC & Buick which Copied VW and Audi took the Design from the Original CC
Adopted for Their Sport Back . . My CC 2nd Edition does have a Huge Trunk with Larger Access then the Honda Accord ..

DSG I didn't Like as it would Not do what You wanted all the Time only 85% of the Time unless You pay $695.00 get Custom Programming .
Honda's 10X Auto is Very Nice and Right On with It's Programming ..Actually Offers Towing ( Be It only 1000 lbs ) but Hey sure Beats - No Towing for VW !

If one wants to Add a Rear Bike Carrier Type Tow Bar set up No Issues ..

New Version of the CC Arteon is Heavy 3695 Lbs , Must Run Mid Grade Fuel , every single one anywhere to be Found is So Loaded
Price is Over the Top ..

1 - 8 of 8 Posts