2018 Honda Accord Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm negotiating with a local dealer on a 2018 2.0 Manual. I would probably be doing about 80% highway mileage. Does anyone have any feedback for real-world gas mileage?

·
Registered
83 Posts
I get around 24-25 MPG with some heavy footing and I do about 80% highway from between work and home. I believe you can get 27-28 MPG if you leave Econ Mode on all day and drive normally.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Mileage varies depending on how you drive and what tires you have. It's always going be lower in the winter with snow tires or if you have a heavy foot when accelerating.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Obviously the 1.5 litre is a better option if you are really focused around fuel economy, and that's largely impacted by your driving style. Regardless I don't think you'll be disappointed with its performance no matter what trim you decide on. I remember Honda originally said they aimed to be the most fuel efficient car in the midsize segment, but unfortunately didn't quite reach their goal.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Its a challenge. Even the new 1.3-liter turbo engine from renault and mercedes can only produce 162lb-ft of torque which in a compact like the a-class can still be a challenge. That in proportion to the new 1.5's like what Honda is offering in the Accord seems to be the lower they can go.

·
Registered
318 Posts
The new variable compression engine technology out of Nissan may solve a lot of these issues if it has the capability to be widely used across all engine sizes. From what I read it not only vastly improves torque but also provides a 30-35% increased to fuel economy. That is a substantial increase and may give some extra life to ICEs.

·
Registered
98 Posts
I periodically look at fuelly and the Accord Sport's range seems to hover around 25-26 mpg. Not bad for a 2.0 L though other engines do get more mileage if that's what your main priority is.

·
Registered
242 Posts
I periodically look at fuelly and the Accord Sport's range seems to hover around 25-26 mpg. Not bad for a 2.0 L though other engines do get more mileage if that's what your main priority is.
Too bad that they don't push the boundaries of how many MPG's an engine like this could get because Mazda has and right now the new Mazda 6 gets 31 MPG's combined out of a similar displacement engine.

·
Registered
318 Posts
But can the Mazda 6 match the torque numbers of the CTR with a tune? Because the Accord can. Have to take the hit to fuel economy, for this sleeper powertrain setup. Honda has plenty of other models to look at, if your focus is fuel efficiency.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Well there's also the manual gearbox that some have set their heart on. Mileage these days tend to be better with automatic transmissions because there's just no way you can shift as smoothly manually. But this is just nitpicking and the Accord's mpg number is honestly fine.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Hopefully one day they make the Accord RWD one day and introduce an SMG like transmission. Its was one of the best things BMW did and sort of set a trend throughout the industry. Honda should adopt it.

·
Registered
73 Posts
But that's BMW and their vehicles costs more to compensate for all the fancy features they offer. I'd be happy to do without the SMG like transmission if it means paying less. Over time fuel economy will improve because of stricter emission standards, just a matter of waiting.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have a 2.0 touring. The car has 295 miles on the clock,Automatic.I took a 85 mile trip to go fishing on two consecutive days. The speed averaged 50 mph over hilly curve roads. The car got 30.4 first day and 30.5 the second. I didn't baby the car. Computer generated milage.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Hopefully one day they make the Accord RWD one day and introduce an SMG like transmission. Its was one of the best things BMW did and sort of set a trend throughout the industry. Honda should adopt it.
Actually I prefer the dual clutch (DCT) type trans. Way faster and smoother than the SMG. BMW, MB, Audi, and VW Versions all work great, but they are not making it into main stream cars either. Apparently their inherent low speed jerkiness cannot be solved for a market used to torque converters. I agree with RWD, but that will never happen in main stream cars. The latest versions of FWD work pretty great. I have a new Accord Sport 2.0T 10 speed and a 2015 VW GTI m/t. Both are excellent handing cars. Admittedly, starting traction with big hp can be problematic, but handing is not compromised.

·
Registered
98 Posts
I honestly can't tell when something is a DCT or just regular transmission when driving. So long as the vehicle is responsive when I put my foot down then it's generally good enough for me.

·
Registered
162 Posts
The new variable compression engine technology out of Nissan may solve a lot of these issues if it has the capability to be widely used across all engine sizes. From what I read it not only vastly improves torque but also provides a 30-35% increased to fuel economy. That is a substantial increase and may give some extra life to ICEs.
Car and Driver tested the Infiniti QX50 this month with that engine. Seemed to run well, fairly quick with a combined EPA number of 26 for the awd version. I am trying to understand how all this complex motion happens. Mazda is bragging about their new compression ignition gasoline engine works as well. All this tech aimed at moving the 4 cycle gasoline engine beyond 30% efficient. Read somewhere that electric is only 40% given all the factors; electric generation, manufacturing process’s, etc. Mazda claims their engine can match it.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Car and Driver tested the Infiniti QX50 this month with that engine. Seemed to run well, fairly quick with a combined EPA number of 26 for the awd version. I am trying to understand how all this complex motion happens. Mazda is bragging about their new compression ignition gasoline engine works as well. All this tech aimed at moving the 4 cycle gasoline engine beyond 30% efficient. Read somewhere that electric is only 40% given all the factors; electric generation, manufacturing process’s, etc. Mazda claims their engine can match it.
Yeah I saw that Mazda is claiming its next gen Skyactiv-3 engine will actually run cleaner than an electric car. They are hoping to achieve a 56% thermal efficiency, which would surpass even that of Mercedes AMG's Formula 1 team aha. If they can deliver it'll certainly extend the lifetime of ICE's.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Yeah I saw that Mazda is claiming its next gen Skyactiv-3 engine will actually run cleaner than an electric car. They are hoping to achieve a 56% thermal efficiency, which would surpass even that of Mercedes AMG's Formula 1 team aha. If they can deliver it'll certainly extend the lifetime of ICE's.
Even better for Mazda fans is that fuel prices in the states have remained relatively cheap and could very well stay their even well into mass hybrid car availability.
I hope people know that jumping ship to a hybrid right away isn't the greatest idea.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I bought the 2.0 W/ 10 spd auto, I do about 70/30 highway to city and run around 75-80 mph on highway. The indicator on the dash is telling me I am getting about 31.5 mpg.

·
Registered
162 Posts
I bought the 2.0 W/ 10 spd auto, I do about 70/30 highway to city and run around 75-80 mph on highway. The indicator on the dash is telling me I am getting about 31.5 mpg.
My new 2.0, 10 speed is getting at least as good by actual measurement as the electronic display. 33.5 entire tank, 75% freeway. I do miss the larger tank from previous Accords though.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts