2018 Honda Accord Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Obviously Honda tuned this engine for 87 octane. I seem to remember reading that Hondata did some dyno tests that confirmed that this enginehad a bump in performance when using a higher octane gas.

Has anyone seen any other corroboration that this is the case? Hondata always does their due diligence with testing and hard data, but I was hoping someone here had a few beers with a Honda engineer one night and he/she gave a breakdown what Honda's own numbers revealed about this performance delta between 87 and higher octanes.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Obviously Honda tuned this engine for 87 octane. I seem to remember reading that Hondata did some dyno tests that confirmed that this enginehad a bump in performance when using a higher octane gas.

Has anyone seen any other corroboration that this is the case? Hondata always does their due diligence with testing and hard data, but I was hoping someone here had a few beers with a Honda engineer one night and he/she gave a breakdown what Honda's own numbers revealed about this performance delta between 87 and higher octanes.
The numbers for 93 octane would be great as well.

·
Registered
83 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
I use 93 and notice a slight difference, though no benchmark between fuel types but +6PSI

·
Registered
33 Posts
http://www.ktuner.com/dyno/AccordX/2L/93vs87Stock.png

Both ktuner and hondata have posted Dyno results. You do make some extra hp. Not much but some is better then none. I’m switching to 93 next tank.... figured it’d be safer to here in FL with the heat and all.

·
Registered
33 Posts
http://www.ktuner.com/dyno/AccordX/2L/93vs87Stock.png

Both ktuner and hondata have posted Dyno results. You do make some extra hp. Not much but some is better then none. I’m switching to 93 next tank.... figured it’d be safer to here in FL with the heat and all.
Maybe this will work now, haha...

Attachments

·
Registered
31 Posts
I run 91 in all of my cars mainly for knock resistance (except for the GTR which is on E85). The little bit of performance gain is a side benefit, but given that CA has crappy gas to begin with I use the best pump gas possible to keep the cars happy. For the $.20/gallon difference in cost, the benefits outweigh the negatives.

·
Registered
33 Posts
IDK.... I finally switched to Shell 93 the other day, and my butt dyno says it made a bit of a difference, my Avg MPGs are up about 2 also, driving the same.

·
Registered
534 Posts
Glad these are E85 Rated - 15% as they Cheat in TN .
Try to be Careful about where to Buy Fuel , Breaking it in with Reg. after 75K or If Necessary in Real Hot Weather - I'll take Motor to 91 .

Anyone got anything Plugs & Heat Ranges for this New Motor ?

·
Registered
534 Posts
Running Reg. as Road Trip Not High Speed Track .., I will say this on Tuned B5254T3 stock Exhaust , but Ported

& Matched Upper & Lower - Tweaked Intake - Customs SS Hard Pipe - which removed 3 , 90 Degree Bends
and Increased Size with Perfect Smooth matched Hoses - Dumping Straight into Ported End Tank - IC
Keeping Air Flow Speed - Extra Smooth , Balanced - Plus Relieving Turbo - Spool up ..

Any Day above 85 degrees T5 would start Drinking Fuel - Running 91 Octane .

Tweaked and Tuned TSI - CC would get all Laggy on any Day above 93 Degrees , Stock IC

Took the Accord for an Extra long Day Trip went from 72 Degree to 94 Degrees and Many Mountains Climbed

The Accord will Dust Both those Older Units .. Stock the Day Got Very Hot and It Never started Drinking Fuel.
on 87 Octane - several 85 Mph Passes - 1 - 90 Mph Pass and XXX Out around 3 Big Rigs , 2 Cars , Diesel Truck Pulling Boat ( 3 Clicks on the Down Paddle ) Gone ! Still got Mpg in Pic .. attached .
Now the Last Pass - Pull Mpg down to 34.7 Mpg , but with Cruising at 75Mph brings it right back up 36 Mpg- in

Normal Mode All Day .. Tanked Up after a Great Lunch and Returned on same Route in Heat of Day

on Sec. Tank Hovered around 35 Mpg ..2 Persons & 200 lbs of Gear .. More Aggressive Driving ..Never Heard 1 Wrong Note from Motor or Felt Soft ..

Attachments

·
Registered
534 Posts
Further Up the Road another 400 Miles - on the Way Back came down from all the Cool Forest to the Hot Valley's and Hot Traffic , Really Hot Road - started chewing some Fuel - even thou I was taking it mostly easy
75 Mph , some 80 Mph .. When We Stopped - I had the Hood up 20+ Min. letting Motor Cool , took a Cool Refreshment break anyhow .. I topped Off with 92 Octane - just to bring that Up and I reset ..
Approx 7 Gallons , so ended up with Tank of 91 Octane .. Next Mpg of course after a Reset everything You always get High Mpg .. 44.5 after 20 miles . The Hit Stopped Traffic , Idling , Red Lights , more Traffic
Even Hotter - is that even Possible .. then got out in the Country again was able to cruise - Now at 35 Mpg where it pretty much stayed - till a - Newer SHO wanted to play , so it was 4 clicks 2/3 thirds throttle 40-100 Had Him .
SHO stated Reeling Me in , I was now at 3/4 Throttle - He was coming - still had 2 car lengths , but I wasn't going Full Throttle - Not enough Miles on Motor .. ( just Hit 5200 Rpm 4 times ) .. I let Off .. He Blew by 107 . .
Don't Know If would of even done any good anyway as 2.0T was Hot . This Guy was just going Home from Work , so only drove like 15 miles ..SHO - His set up was still Cool .. and I didn't want to Hammer on It or I would have been Flat Down 9-11 seconds back .. Really seemed like the Extra Gears Helped .. or it Took that SHO awhile to get Spooled . . Got back in the Garage had 35 Mpg .. so 91 Octane in Heat does Help ..
Thinking this :
Or This : Aliexpress.com : Buy WLR Universal 13 ROWS Trust type OIL COOLER + AN10 Oil Filter Cooler Sandwich Plate Adapter + 2PCS NYLON BRAIDED HOSE LINE from Reliable sandwich plate adapter suppliers on WLR racing Store
https://www.ptpturboblankets.com/products/honda-civic-fk2-fk8-type-r-turbo-blanket

·
Registered
534 Posts
To Get those Higher Mpg Numbers - 91 Octane

Up above I had straight Reg. , but it was early morning 8-11 am .. We did Pump the Tires to 33Psi all 4 Corners - Dealer Topped Tires Off with Nitrogen .
Also had a bit of Head Wind .. on way back .. Late Afternoon ..4pm-6pm . . Very Hot .. so 35 Mpg with all the Traffic , Idling , then Sprint with SHO got - 35 Mpg ..

Looked up the Fusion 2 FWD 2.7 V6 Twin Turbo - it's No Slouch , but 3900 lbs - listed 14.5 in Qrt. doing a lot of that in second Half . 325HP & Tq . 380 Ft lbs . .
Here's the Link . https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/2017-ford-fusion-sport-first-drive-review

When Honda 2.0T has enough miles on , proper oil changes and sec. Filter is Off , as I dumped the Original Filter , just in case of
Build Up from Mating all the Surfaces In. : read Keeping ( High Flow Rate ) . .

Will Be Using :
PurolatorBOSS Oil Filters after reading up on SYN OIL & How this Filter is Designed with that in Mind .. Flow Ratings , Debris Removal Very Best in Smallest Size ..

Anti-Drain Back - Sealed the Deal for Me .

Purolator: PurolatorBOSS?
I Like K&N High Performance Filter Also ..

·
Registered
534 Posts
OK - Under the Chassis Today ..
Noted some Air Flow - Idea's

Swamped Out the Filter - just in Case it Had Break In - Loaded Debris . . I'll say it fills Up on Restart Super Fast - I could have place some Oil in it few OZ. , but Not Necessary .
Unlike a Volvo or VW which have the Top Oil Filter Mount for Cold Weather Start Up's - as those would stay Warmer and Mostly an easy Place to Grab and Go -
Quick for Service & DIY Owner .. But these Filter - locations take slightly Longer to Fill - Up Hill and Placed Farther from the Oil Pump , so One would Hear - slight Valve Lash Clicking for 1 sec.
Rollers Valves but all the same a True Motor Head doesn't Like that Stuff ..

Honda has Filter Placed Oil Filter in Hot Air Stream . and somewhat Wrapped by Oil Pan a Air Guide , and close to Warm Trans & Hot Mid Pipe ..Extra Hot Cat Area .. all the Manufactures are
Trying to Keep Starting Up as Clean as Possible to Obtain Highest Fleet Average - which means Thousands saved in Cost Levied from the Government to meet Fuel & Pollution std.'s . . !

Currently have the Firewall Seal Removed , and I'm leaving Off the "Small Air Guide" .. : Read : ( Guides all Hot Air - Right Past Metal Filter ) . . Testing this Tweak for summer Temps . .

·
Registered
534 Posts
I'll Try to Pace Pic's in some Order , but seeing the Label doesn't Show and I can't - Place Topic - right next to them Good Luck ! Right . .

The Pic's are Heat Shielding , Mid Pipe Heat Shield - Output Shaft and Output Shaft Seals - for give the Puddle I Hit Today - Now I have to Wash Her .. Bottom .
I'll Be Laying on My side at the Car Wash . . LOL

First Up Heat Shield on Mid Pipe - Hey there is 8 inch of Room above , but Heat Shield on Mid-Pipe - I Know Why - do You !
Look at the Pictures those _ will tell You . .
Second one I'll throw in Seals :
Third Tunnel Shield from Mid Pipe . . Extra Hot !
Fourth Up - Oh Joy this is PITA - Not to Mention all have to be Smallerized - Oil Pan Heat . -
Ladies & Gentlemen It's all about Heat Control . .

Attachments

·
Registered
534 Posts
OK , New Data on MPG Topped Off with 91 some 95% Tank is Now 91 BP Octane which has 10% Ethanol - USA Version .

OK - had 4 cold starts ran 4 errands 7 miles , 8 miles , 12 miles, The 14 miles Errand included a freaking Long Train wait Idling - then Today's Run : 61 Miles & 84 miles - -
all this Time I had an Old Tank Figures showing on Tank as Trip A&B ,so back @ Head Qrts.
266 miles on Trip A & Trip B :All Toal : This Morning started out 5th Cold Start down the road 5 miles 31.5 Mpg . Time I got to 1 Run this Morning 9am 75 Degrees @ 33Mpg and I Hit 4 Long Red Lights . .
Did the Mountains up for a Hike & Fresh O2 - ( They Call It - Forest Bathing ) I just Know it as Home . . Left up the Lake with - 31.9 Mpg Mostly Up Hill . ( 1 Stop @ Post Office )
Heading Back - Back @ Head Qts. 32.5 Mpg ..

Summary : Early Morning Cool Air - able to Pull average UP fairly easily .. later in Heat of the Day with Fully Hot Drive-line - even coming down out of the Mtn's -read ( Mostly Down Hill ) Not as easy to pull Average Up
In Garage 32.5 Mpg .. Engine Bay Rear Seal Removed .. and I have the Oil Filter Splash Shield or Warm Winter Air Guide - Off !
To Allow for Greater Exit Space of Hot Radiator Air - 1 Note - Air-Conditioning is ICE COLD . .:smile_big:

·
Registered
534 Posts
I Bought Heat Shields as I was looking into Better ways to control Engine Bay Heat on this Hot Engine Bay - with - Tight Compact Area ..

I was able to get Better look at the Mid -Pipe Shields - which look to Function for Intake Plume or Stater Wiring First ~ Then Drive Axle & Seals for said Trans Axle on 10X Auto .

Attachments

·
Registered
534 Posts
If You look at Longer then 5 Seconds , You'll Notice it's Like a Young Flower Opening Up , also Note the Directorial Orientation

Backwards going with Air - Flow , also the Up & Down Placement , Up Away from the Trans Axle Power Take Off , Second Heat Shield
Down or Away from Sending Heat Toward Motor or It's Intake - Pushing the Heat _ into the Center Tunnel . .

·
Registered
534 Posts
Just so You Know in Case You missed It : Grandfather Won Daytona on the Beach in the Sand , I Grew Up in His Shop where they took care of Everything from Tractors
To Big Rigs . His Mechanic & He set the Land Speed Record in 1919 with a Modified . NOT STOCK - had - First 4 Barrel ever Produced Custom Tweaked
On Dirt Road - 131 Mph in state of Illinois - People & Cows were Running as they came Screaming Up the Road - with Open Header Pipes . . Over 1 Miles Runs ..

Lets just say He told stories of the Dust that went on forever ..Haaa LOL

I have Tweak many Items in My Day - I'm going to leave this Post with a Few Photo's of only small portion as when I began these Excursions Off into the Unknown ,
There was No Internet , No Tech Support , Had to Mail Order Parts which took 30 Days to Arrive ..
I have Chased Pheasants through Fields doing 85 Mph in 200 Acre Hay Lots . . in 1960 Thunderbird 390 Cu. In. ( Motor Swaps )
I have Raced Snowmobiles on Ice & Grass ( All Mod & Ported )
I Even Took a Harley Up one those Big Dam Hills - throwing - Dirt 50 ft High and 120 ft behind Me , and Yes it had ( Ported Heads ) 12.5:1 Compression stock was 7.5-1
I stated Porting & Tweaking Turbo's around 2008 ..- some before and Afters . .

Attachments

1 - 20 of 23 Posts