2018 Honda Accord Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been looking at getting a new or slightly used vehicle, after a few test drives and such I've narrowed it down to the Honda Accord 2.0 Turbo or the hybrid, either one would be a touring model. I love power and really enjoyed the 2.0. Early torque and where the power comes on is a lot of fun and far more entertaining then any other things I drove such as the Camry and the Avalon. As I'm getting close to the 40 year old age I start doing more practical thinking, and have to give some serious thought to the hybrid Accord. What I'm concerned about on the hybrid is if I will really end up getting that much better mileage then with a 2.0t, and I also wonder if I might experience more issues and more cost down the road with the hybrid?
What is everyone's thought on this forum between the two cars? Thanks

·
Super Moderator
1,923 Posts
I own a 2.0T Touring so my remarks will be biased... It was no question for me when I purchased my car... I wanted looks, performance, and reliability (owned a '96 Accord previously). Regarding the gas mileage gain with the hybrid vs the 2.0T you may want to look in our 2018+ Honda Accord PHEV Hybrid Forum with the following threads in particular...

Low MPG on Hybrid

Hybrid mileage vs. tire inflation recommendation

What about hybrids in the Arizona heat?

It would appear that real world MPG haven't met what has been advertised. ?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I came across both those postings this morning. That's what's really making me question the hybrid. Maybe all the people that are having poor mileage issues are coming here and the rest are great.
It's hard to say just how many people are really having poor mileage issues but I ran into enough people complaining that it's making me rethink the hybrid option.
If you don't mind me asking, do you do more City or Highway type driving, what's seems to be your average? Thanks

·
Registered
33 Posts
No personal experience with the hybrid, but I have a 2.0T and it is an impressive blend of performance and economy. With eco, normal, and sport modes available, you can tweak the performance to suit your needs.

Having a turbo that can generate 0-60 times in the low to mid 5 second range is great, but that same engine easily loafs along on the highway with 33-35 mpg numbers. The ten speed auto it pairs with is a perfect combination.

Right now, with only 1500 miles on my EX-L, the car's computer shows 30.9 mpg in mixed driving, and on very hilly terrain. (The 17” tires on the EX-L do give slightly better fuel mileage numbers than the 19” tires on the Touring.)

So, the hybrid may be really good, and it may give better fuel economy, but it can't be more fun than the 2.0T.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
No personal experience with the hybrid, but I have a 2.0T and it is an impressive blend of performance and economy. With eco, normal, and sport modes available, you can tweak the performance to suit your needs.

Having a turbo that can generate 0-60 times in the low to mid 5 second range is great, but that same engine easily loafs along on the highway with 33-35 mpg numbers. The ten speed auto it pairs with is a perfect combination.

Right now, with only 1500 miles on my EX-L, the car's computer shows 30.9 mpg in mixed driving, and on very hilly terrain. (The 17” tires on the EX-L do give slightly better fuel mileage numbers than the 19” tires on the Touring.)

So, the hybrid may be really good, and it may give better fuel economy, but it can't be more fun than the 2.0T.
That is the one thing I don't like on a touring is the 19 inch wheels. A 19-inch wheel doesn't give room for much Tire on the Accord. I think I would much prefer a 17 if I could swap them out or something.

·
Registered
33 Posts
That is the one thing I don't like on a touring is the 19 inch wheels. A 19-inch wheel doesn't give room for much Tire on the Accord. I think I would much prefer a 17 if I could swap them out or something.
I would have preferred the 18's, but not an option for the EX-L. I have a Porsche with low profile 20” tires, and it's hard to protect the wheels from road damage with so little sidewall there.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I've been looking at getting a new or slightly used vehicle, after a few test drives and such I've narrowed it down to the Honda Accord 2.0 Turbo or the hybrid, either one would be a touring model. I love power and really enjoyed the 2.0. Early torque and where the power comes on is a lot of fun and far more entertaining then any other things I drove such as the Camry and the Avalon. As I'm getting close to the 40 year old age I start doing more practical thinking, and have to give some serious thought to the hybrid Accord. What I'm concerned about on the hybrid is if I will really end up getting that much better mileage then with a 2.0t, and I also wonder if I might experience more issues and more cost down the road with the hybrid?
What is everyone's thought on this forum between the two cars? Thanks
I own a 2.0T Touring so my remarks will be biased... It was no question for me when I purchased my car... I wanted looks, performance, and reliability (owned a '96 Accord previously). Regarding the gas mileage gain with the hybrid vs the 2.0T you may want to look in our 2018+ Honda Accord PHEV Hybrid Forum with the following threads in particular...

Low MPG on Hybrid

Hybrid mileage vs. tire inflation recommendation

What about hybrids in the Arizona heat?

It would appear that real world MPG haven't met what has been advertised. ?
Well, I have a 2018 Hybrid, and over my last 12 tanks I'm averaging 48.1 mpg. I don't "drive like a grandma;" about all I do is avoid very hard acceleration, and keep the tires inflated.

That 48.1 mpg figure a 2000-mile includes a road trip through the mountains (25 mpg uphill, and most of the down-hill trip was at 100% charge, so no regen) and at least 400 miles in a hard, driving rain (this is a significant hit to mileage, since you have to push water out of the way). So it could have been over 50. It also seems to be doing better since my first oil change; don't know if that is just observation bias.

But then, if you read those threads, you've seen some of my stories. It's my opinion that those who are getting less than 45 are doing something seriously wrong, but I can't get them to say anything about their driving except "I know I'm not doing it wrong!" I also find it hard to take a forum seriously when it can't even name drive train correctly - it's not a PHEV, it's just an HEV.

Cold winter temperatures makes it take maybe a 5 to 8 mpg hit (I got 40 to 43 mpg over the winter), but that affects all hybrids the same way. Both the battery and the engine are more efficient when they are warm. For the same reason, you also want to make sure that most of your trips aren't <5 miles. If so, get the 2.0T. Then there is the fact that the trip computer reads low - so you do have to adjust it if you want to compare. (Over 20 fill-ups, I've put 214 gallons in, but the TC says I've used 221.) Speeds above 70 mpg also affect it - but much of that 2000-mile trip was at such speeds. If you prefer to do 80, get the 2.0T.

But I honestly think that some people try to hard to force the car to get better mileage, and end up making it worse. Let the car manage the mileage, and you should do fine. Or at least, anything you do wrong will affect any car the same way - you just notice it more when you expect 50 but get 45, than when you expect 30 and get 27. They are the same drop.
+++++
Edit: I just added a fill-up to Fuelly.com, so it makes sense to see what they say:

2018,19 Accord Hybrid, rated at 47, 48 mpg:
  • 1,440,481 miles, 34,005.7 gallons. 42.2 mpg
2018,19 Accord 2.0T, rated 32 mpg
  • 1,279,410 miles, 46,571.0 gallons, 27.5 mpg
2018,19 Camry Hybrid SE or XLE, rated at 46 mpg
  • 697,862 miles, 16,642.8 gallons, 41.9 mpg
These numbers are consistent with each other. I expect them to be below ratings, since adverse conditions are not taken into account.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the post Jeff, if I could manage 40 to 43 that would be worth the hybrid, even though I would have more fun with the 2.0

·
Registered
37 Posts
I'm getting consistent 25 mpg around town (daily commute) with the 2.0, the hybrid might be what, 36? Not worth it if you ask me

I might sell my Accord if you're interested PM me

1 - 20 of 27 Posts