2018 Honda Accord Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,

I bought a brand new Honda Accord 2018 Sport 2.0T about a month ago. First off, I love the car - the way it drives, the way it looks, I am having a ton of fun with this car. However, I have run into an issue that is bothering me and I have gotten no resolution from the dealership or Honda corporate.

When the car is idled while in gear such as stopped at a red light, the hood/engine starts vibrating. The vibration is observed with both ac on and off. The vibration is very moderate to nonexistent when the engine is cold. On a hot day and having driven it for a bit, the vibration gets almost violent. I have brought it into the dealership, they have acknowledged the issue and looked through everything top to bottom, according to them everything is in pristine condition. They brought another car off the lot and they are seeing the same vibration. I went to a different dealership to test drive a sport 2.0T and I see the same vibration. I raised the issue with Honda corporate hoping they could get some engineering resources to look at the car but they are siding with the dealership and the official diagnosis is "normal by comparison".

Fellow 2.0T drivers - are you seeing this same vibration? Is a vibration while idled in gear cause for long term mechanical integrity/safety concern? Is this a lemon? Do I escalate legally?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Not sure if it's the same, but i have a 18' Touring 2.0L w/ the 10 speed and I'm not experiencing any vibration at idle. AC on or off it feels the same. Buttery smooth. I don't think the sport is different as far as motor mounts go. That's the only thing i can think of that would cause vibration at idle. Seeing as the rpms are normal. If it's shaking enough that the hood vibrates, i would not take "it's normal" for an answer. That doesn't sound normal at all.

·
Super Moderator
1,554 Posts
If it's "just" the hood vibrating (and you haven't raised the hood to notice actual engine vibrating) that has been noted and posted about by other members on this forum. I too have noticed my hood vibrating and as abnormal as it is it is normal for these car's. I'm on my phone at the moment otherwise I would find the thread discussing this issue.

·
Super Moderator
1,554 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the link to the post. You said your hood is vibrating as well? When you saw it vibrating did you escalate it with the dealer? Any integrity issues that you can see so far?

·
Super Moderator
1,554 Posts
Thanks for the link to the post. You said your hood is vibrating as well? When you saw it vibrating did you escalate it with the dealer? Any integrity issues that you can see so far?
No, and no. After reading the posts here of others experiencing the same thing as odd as it is, it's normal for these car's. As you mentioned in your original post when you checked out other car's it was doing the same thing. I'm not going to worry about it since it's not isolated to just my car... probably a design feature... lightweight materials w/lack of support to keep the weight down. :confused:

·
Registered
736 Posts
OK , Make a Video - or It didn't Happen !

First Up Honda went with the Single Fly Wheel I believe or is that Only on the Civic R Type - should check that out - see If the Civic R is Doing the Same thing ?

If indeed Honda did Go with the Single Flywheel - Instead of Dual Mass - which have - Shorter life and will cause issues down the Line .. that could be what Your Feeling . .

Dual Mass Fly - You should be Feeling any Vibrations - in Trans , I Mean U are Telling Up it's the Trans or are You saying - Vibration just in the Engine ?

Trying Coasting with Clutch in and In Neutral to Give Us a Better Idea of Symptoms . .

·
Registered
163 Posts
Hello everyone,

I bought a brand new Honda Accord 2018 Sport 2.0T about a month ago. First off, I love the car - the way it drives, the way it looks, I am having a ton of fun with this car. However, I have run into an issue that is bothering me and I have gotten no resolution from the dealership or Honda corporate.

When the car is idled while in gear such as stopped at a red light, the hood/engine starts vibrating. The vibration is observed with both ac on and off. The vibration is very moderate to nonexistent when the engine is cold. On a hot day and having driven it for a bit, the vibration gets almost violent. I have brought it into the dealership, they have acknowledged the issue and looked through everything top to bottom, according to them everything is in pristine condition. They brought another car off the lot and they are seeing the same vibration. I went to a different dealership to test drive a sport 2.0T and I see the same vibration. I raised the issue with Honda corporate hoping they could get some engineering resources to look at the car but they are siding with the dealership and the official diagnosis is "normal by comparison".

Fellow 2.0T drivers - are you seeing this same vibration? Is a vibration while idled in gear cause for long term mechanical integrity/safety concern? Is this a lemon? Do I escalate legally?
Is this your first 4 cylinder car with an automatic trans?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Agree with the 4 cylinder comment. Everyone I have ever driven has a slight vibration at idle.

I have noticed the same vibration at idle and shake in the hood. I have been able to flex the hood with the palm of my hand, so with it being aluminum and that flexible, I can understand the shake. For engine vibration, there are balance shafts to mitigate some of them but I wouldn't worry about the vibration unless you felt it at cruising speed or heard a clunking noise.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Same here with my 2019 Sport 2.0 auto. The car vibrates while idling when in D, so I have been putting it in Neutral a lot while I am at stop lights. This essentially raises the RPM's by about 100 and eliminates the vibration.

My wife's 9th gen Accord EX CVT does the same thing but with slightly less vibration. So it's the same with our 10th gen except more pronounced. It's a shame Honda did not address the vibration issue at low RPM's/idling, but let it get worse. This is when you can tell that they are using parts from the last Accord.

I also had vibrations with my '06 Civic when in neutral, so this problem goes way back. Don't Honda designers drive their own cars? They probably drive Acuras or German cars :)

·
Registered
1 Posts
Same problem plus

I just got my brand new 2019 Accord EXL 2.0T, it has now only 150 miles and I feel the same problem, when the engine is cool or at traffic lights, I can even see the Tachometer shaking. Shall I take it back, it is only 2 days old :(

·
Registered
1 Posts
Going to Honda service is a WASTEEEEE!!!! I really wanted the V6 like my old car but settled with the Sport 2.0 cause it was pretty! I hate this turbo (seems like it lags) and I think that's what is causing the hood to shake. The vibration is mostly happening near the drive side towards the windshield.

I didn't bring my car in for that but did tell them. I am more concerned on the two noises I have.
The struts which is documented on youtube where it sounds like a typewriter in temp colder than 25F. I brought it in, in Jan and played the youtube video. They don't do noises on Saturday. Yesterday they said it doesn't matter you got a youtube video, it's not a bulletin from Honda.
The second noise I have sounds like heavy machinery whine after getting the engine hot! (High pitched from the engine) The first time I noticed it was a hot day, I open a gate so the car was on in park after driving 80 miles and I heard a loud high pitch noise. I didn't think anything of it till its happen 4 more times within the last month. Brought it in yesterday, Honda can't duplicate it of course so a whole day wasted. I told them as I was picking the car up about the strut again and the hood shake and nothing. NOT ENOUGH PEOPLE REPORTED IT. I have called American Honda and the only stupid recall was the backup Camera!!!!

2018 Accord Sport 2.0 Metallic Silver

·
Registered
25 Posts
I know that the 2.0 is much more potent than the 1.5,and is much qucker,but my 1.5 is soo smooth that twice I forgot to shut off the car when exiting..A vibration at idle should not be tolorated in todays modern cars.Pester the dealer

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hello everyone,

Hi Everyone!
I am the proud owner of a 2019 Accord 2.0t 6 speed. I am really excited to have this car. It is surprisingly much faster than I had anticipated. Everything is great.....Except at idle. The engine has a rough idle. When I sit in the driver's seat with the engine running, I can feel it shake the car slightly whether the a/c is on or off. I brought it back to the dealership and they explained to me that ALL 2.0s run that way. They told me that Civic Type R owners have the same complaints. I find it hard to believe that a brand new car would vibrate as much as my car does. The vibration caused at idle won't make you spill a drink on your lap; it's more subtle but is very apparent when sitting quietly inside the car.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Hi Everyone!
I am the proud owner of a 2019 Accord 2.0t 6 speed. I am really excited to have this car. It is surprisingly much faster than I had anticipated. Everything is great.....Except at idle. The engine has a rough idle. When I sit in the driver's seat with the engine running, I can feel it shake the car slightly whether the a/c is on or off. I brought it back to the dealership and they explained to me that ALL 2.0s run that way. They told me that Civic Type R owners have the same complaints. I find it hard to believe that a brand new car would vibrate as much as my car does. The vibration caused at idle won't make you spill a drink on your lap; it's more subtle but is very apparent when sitting quietly inside the car.
You either have some serious nervous system issues or you might be slightly crazy. I have the Hasport upper and lower torque mounts and she barely vibrates even with those. You might want to take your vehicle to the local Honda dealer and have your motor and transmission mounts checked.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hello everyone,

Just bought a 2019 and this is exactly the issue I'm having. It's driving me crazy and they say it drives just like all the other brand new 2019 touring models!

·
Registered
2 Posts
A friend of mine suggested I use an ester based synthetic motor oil for my first oil change. The new oil might be able to smooth out the idle. For a while I figured that my motor mounts were damaged or defective but a local mechanic checked them and he said they were fine. He confirmed that the car had a rough idle and recommended I go back to the service dept at Honda. I'll change the oil when it's time and I'll see what happens.

·
Registered
2 Posts
A friend of mine suggested I use an ester based synthetic motor oil for my first oil change. The new oil might be able to smooth out the idle. For a while I figured that my motor mounts were damaged or defective but a local mechanic checked them and he said they were fine. He confirmed that the car had a rough idle and recommended I go back to the service dept at Honda. I'll change the oil when it's time and I'll see what happens.
Thanks. Let me know how that works. I only have 2600 miles on mine and already took it back when it had 685 miles on it. I tried a gas treatment additive also and no help there.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I saw another user posted a similar remark. I then started noticing the 'rough' idle in my 19 2.0T 6MT. When I look at the tach, the idle is only 750 rpm. That other user, who also had Hondata, simply went in and moved the idle speed up 50 rpms to 800 rpms and the vibration (rough idle) disappeared. HOpeful that will eventually solve my problem too.

Hi Everyone!

1 - 20 of 33 Posts