2018 Honda Accord Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone just added a new amp, front, and speaspekers to the touring model? I want to improve the weak sound system and every stereo shop I go to wants me to add all kinds of stuff - DSP, New sub (with a box and amplifier) or replace existing sub with a Free Air version, a 4 channel or some places say a 5 channel amp, ect

This whole process is just getting out of control and potentially expensive. So, I wanted to know if just adding some new quality speakers (Focal etc) to the front and rear, a 4 channel amp like a Morel or Alpine and leaving the factory subwoofer - if this would be a noticeable improvement? I'm not trying to recreate a music studio environment, just a nice improvement.

Thanks for your input.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have the sport, so only 8 speakers, no sub. I first replaced all 4 speakers with Alpine r-s65c.2 component speakers and the Alpine X-A90V 5 channel amp. It was a great improvement but it has to have in my opinion a dsp. I went with the budget friendly Dayton audio dsp-408 for $148. Then, I was seriously missing low end so put a small down firing box and a kicker 12 inch sub and I'm real happy. Not sure how the stock 8" inch sub you have would work.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have the sport, so only 8 speakers, no sub. I first replaced all 4 speakers with Alpine r-s65c.2 component speakers and the Alpine X-A90V 5 channel amp. It was a great improvement but it has to have in my opinion a dsp. I went with the budget friendly Dayton audio dsp-408 for $148. Then, I was seriously missing low end so put a small down firing box and a kicker 12 inch sub and I'm real happy. Not sure how the stock 8" inch sub you have would work.
Thanks. All In, how much did you spend and would you do it again ( was it worth the money)?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Approximately 1000 all said and done. I got killer deals on the Alpine stuff online. I'd do it again, it is a huge difference. Then again, everyone is different

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Approximately 1000 all said and done. I got killer deals on the Alpine stuff online. I'd do it again, it is a huge difference. Then again, everyone is different
Great. $1,000 seems about right. Lastly, did you install it all yourself?

·
Registered
6 Posts
I am coming from my 2013 BMW 335i with a Harmon Kardon system. I bought this wretched "2019 Accord Touring" and cannot stand the horrid thing. One reason I loathe it is the awful and pathetic sound coming out of these "10 speakers" Should that be "tin"? anyway, what am I going to do? I have to try to deal with this hideous vehicle for a while, so please know that I am aware that I should get rid of it. But in the meantime, as a sales rep, i drive a lot and cannot deal with this rediculously weak and sickening sounding system. Zeppelin's "All of My Love" came on during the 7 minute drive home from my mom's just now and I thought I was going to freak out at the 'sound' of this "premium" 10 speaker system.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Did you test drive the thing? Sheesh.
Yes. My BMW got an electrical gremlin and I felt betrayed having only gotten 200k out of it (2013!) and so I felt I needed to try to like a different car. I went to the dealer and tried a civic, a Corolla (exactly like a weed eater with a seat and steering wheel) THEN got into the accord. I said out loud “this is more like what I am accustomed to”.... I should have walked away and Thought more about it. But I put 30k a year on cars so....yeah. My thought process was that “Hondas last a long time. You get 300k out of them”. (I was very enthusiastic and happy with all of my many Hondas before I got onto the BMW habit-so I figured it was a good car) I don’t doubt that they are ok cars, in many ways, but I really don’t care if this car goes 300,000 miles, I don’t even wanna go 3 miles in the hideous thing. To put an additional thousand dollars for fixing the sound in this car and still be driving around in an ugly looking front wheel drive thing, that’s awful. I didn’t think all of this through. I had no idea that I would not be able to handle this. I thought I could handle it. Some concessions simply should not be made in life. Don’t even get me started about the floor liners that are made of plastic! I feel like I’m on a city bus. My foot slides ever so slowly, my left foot, as I’m driving. And the gas pedal, why would they put it like that? It’s about 3 inches away from the floorboard for Pete’s sake! And there’s literally no possible way to get comfortable in that wretched seat, ventilation be damned. Nothing can make that seat get to a comfortable setting. I have no idea how I ended up with this thing other than being upset about my BMW having to go to the doctor a couple times. Never act out of fear. My plan of action, I think, from here on out is to take the wretched thing and trade it in on a 440i ASAP and move on with my life and at least be able to feel happy and exhilarated about driving. The flawless sound of the Harman Kardon system that’s stock in a BMW is the least of the goodness of those cars. I had no idea how important it was. And don’t even get me started about this pathetic 2 L turbocharged four-cylinder compared to an absolutely beautifully smooth responsive in-line 6! And oh—-the front Wheel drive, OMG. I got out onto the main road and simply wanted to accelerate just like I would normally do -but wow -in that front wheel drive it’s terrifying. There is no precision driving instrument feel. In a BMW it’s all precision. Graceful. Effective. And I read that the top speed of this accord is 155! I would not feel confident going 100 miles an hour on a straight line desert highway in this front wheel drive. 140 in a bmw feels fast yes. But not perilous. But at my age, 50, I figured I don’t even need to go 100 anymore so who cares, another really stupid line of thinking on my part. It’s not that I want or need to go 100, but if I ever do, at least I don’t wanna feel like I’m going to inadvertently change lanes in the process because of the strange handling. Are these things a front wheel drive one Legger? Because that’s what it feels like. Very horrible. All I can say is don’t try heroin, and don’t try Bmw. Think about it: if you gave a heroin addict an aspirin he would hate the aspirin. Giving me this Honda accord when what I really need is a BMW makes me hate the accord. It’s no fault of the Honda. I’m sure they are ok in their own class but Asians and Germans are two different levels of acceptable. I’m sorry to give such a rough appraisal to the car that people on this site somehow like, but honestly it just is of no comparison to the BMW at all whatsoever. It’s an insult to the bmw to try to compare the two actually. And reactions from friends and family—nobody would belive me when I told them I bought it. One thought I was driving a rental! Lololol.

·
Administrator
2,552 Posts
Yes. My BMW got an electrical gremlin and I felt betrayed having only gotten 200k out of it (2013!) and so I felt I needed to try to like a different car. I went to the dealer and tried a civic, a Corolla (exactly like a weed eater with a seat and steering wheel) THEN got into the accord. I said out loud “this is more like what I am accustomed to”.... I should have walked away and Thought more about it. But I put 30k a year on cars so....yeah. My thought process was that “Hondas last a long time. You get 300k out of them”. (I was very enthusiastic and happy with all of my many Hondas before I got onto the BMW habit-so I figured it was a good car) I don’t doubt that they are ok cars, in many ways, but I really don’t care if this car goes 300,000 miles, I don’t even wanna go 3 miles in the hideous thing. To put an additional thousand dollars for fixing the sound in this car and still be driving around in an ugly looking front wheel drive thing, that’s awful. I didn’t think all of this through. I had no idea that I would not be able to handle this. I thought I could handle it. Some concessions simply should not be made in life. Don’t even get me started about the floor liners that are made of plastic! I feel like I’m on a city bus. My foot slides ever so slowly, my left foot, as I’m driving. And the gas pedal, why would they put it like that? It’s about 3 inches away from the floorboard for Pete’s sake! And there’s literally no possible way to get comfortable in that wretched seat, ventilation be damned. Nothing can make that seat get to a comfortable setting. I have no idea how I ended up with this thing other than being upset about my BMW having to go to the doctor a couple times. Never act out of fear. My plan of action, I think, from here on out is to take the wretched thing and trade it in on a 440i ASAP and move on with my life and at least be able to feel happy and exhilarated about driving. The flawless sound of the Harman Kardon system that’s stock in a BMW is the least of the goodness of those cars. I had no idea how important it was. And don’t even get me started about this pathetic 2 L turbocharged four-cylinder compared to an absolutely beautifully smooth responsive in-line 6! And oh—-the front Wheel drive, OMG. I got out onto the main road and simply wanted to accelerate just like I would normally do -but wow -in that front wheel drive it’s terrifying. There is no precision driving instrument feel. In a BMW it’s all precision. Graceful. Effective. And I read that the top speed of this accord is 155! I would not feel confident going 100 miles an hour on a straight line desert highway in this front wheel drive. 140 in a bmw feels fast yes. But not perilous. But at my age, 50, I figured I don’t even need to go 100 anymore so who cares, another really stupid line of thinking on my part. It’s not that I want or need to go 100, but if I ever do, at least I don’t wanna feel like I’m going to inadvertently change lanes in the process because of the strange handling. Are these things a front wheel drive one Legger? Because that’s what it feels like. Very horrible. All I can say is don’t try heroin, and don’t try Bmw. Think about it: if you gave a heroin addict an aspirin he would hate the aspirin. Giving me this Honda accord when what I really need is a BMW makes me hate the accord. It’s no fault of the Honda. I’m sure they are ok in their own class but Asians and Germans are two different levels of acceptable. I’m sorry to give such a rough appraisal to the car that people on this site somehow like, but honestly it just is of no comparison to the BMW at all whatsoever. It’s an insult to the bmw to try to compare the two actually. And reactions from friends and family—nobody would belive me when I told them I bought it. One thought I was driving a rental! Lololol.
Not every car is for everybody (that's why there are so many different manufacturers).... sorry you don't like the Accord and wish you well finding the car for you as it would appear that X Gen Accord's isn't the car for you.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts