2018 Honda Accord Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bought a 2018 Honda Accord new September 2018. Now have 6700 miles and today checked the crankcase oil level to find the oil level was about 1" over the "fill" mark on the dipstick and had a strong odor of gasoline. I took the car to the dealer who is going to do an oil change tomorrow and stated he will get an analysis of the oil done. I am also going to take a jar of the used oil and have an analysis done on it.
I know there is a class action lawsuit at this time against Honda for this issue.

·
Registered
7 Posts
My advice is not to get bent out of shape and believe what Honda says; some amount of oil dilution is normal.

Let the dealer change the oil, make sure they note the high level on your invoice, and be done with it.

Monitor oil levels as normal, checking the level per the manual, a few minutes after shut down.

Do NOT worry about the smell of the oil on the dip stick! But if the smell is getting into the cabin, that's worth another dealer visit.

·
Registered
880 Posts
I Would Be

Bought a 2018 Honda Accord new September 2018. Now have 6700 miles and today checked the crankcase oil level to find the oil level was about 1" over the "fill" mark on the dipstick and had a strong odor of gasoline. I took the car to the dealer who is going to do an oil change tomorrow and stated he will get an analysis of the oil done. I am also going to take a jar of the used oil and have an analysis done on it.
I know there is a class action lawsuit at this time against Honda for this issue.

I Would be Putting Tune on it and Crank the Boost Up - Hit Hard for few 100 miles as in High Speed Highways and High Speed Mountain Passes . .

then Add 2-3 Oz of ~ Lucas Oil Syc. Oil Booster - Hit It for another Long Trip 200 Plus Miles Good - Get it on Moving Down the Road ..

Get Back see If the Oil Smells ~ Same ~ as Your Complaint . . If Not just - Pull Tune and Drive Normal or as You have been Doing .. ( Recheck ) 300-400 miles ..

Which Sounds like a lot of Very Short Trips ? Or Describe Your Normal - Driving Style and Loads ?
How did You Break this Drive_Line In ?

·
Registered
880 Posts
OK, Not Sure where that Post Is ?

OK , Response to the Oil Level Rising and Very Cold Engines .. I for One would 'Never Run My Motor' for a long Haul with just two Bars ..

as I have read on other Post - which - when Going back to Respond to those - I Never able to Find _ Locate etc. , so like others Stuff gets Posted , Re-Posted and Posted in Places

that sometimes don't make any sense . ( Personally I'm Not using My E-Mail as Library on to Organize this Site .. )

OK China , Upper 48 USA , Siberia etc. the 1.5T is in Larger Package Accord with Lots of Grill this allow Huge amounts of Cool Air In - Especially at -20F even Zero for that Matter ..
I have Noted another Item - I'd like to bring to Attention - Please Note Picture of the 2.0T - Note the Smaller Inlet Line of Coolant Into the Turbo - I found this to be Odd seeing the 2.0T Runs very Hot in Southern States - Working Hard Up into Mountains ..for Hundreds of Miles .. Investigating .. I Noted that the R Type has the Larger what I refer to Normal Inlet Pipe .. Like I have seen on 2.5T Motors ..Now in Odd Twist the 1.5T has the Normal Inlet Pipe Also ?_? Ssoo What's Uuupp ? Seeing 1.5T is Having Issues staying Warm Obtaining Proper Temps ?

I for one would be Insulating this Pipe with some Wrap , I'd also be Removing that Top Heat Shield and getting Turbo Blanket on this Motor - Now !
Any Type of Gasoline in the Oil - is Not Good ! ( I Just Find it so Odd that Accord 2.0T ) which came out 1 Yr. Later has this 8mm Pipe ~ vs ~

1.5T that was Developed for the Civic - 1 Yr. Earlier ! !:surprise::nerd:

Small Grill , Tighter Engine Bay , Smaller Fans ~ ~

Attachments

·
Registered
133 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Well I'm at just under 1,500 mile and ~2 months into ownership of my 2018 Accord Sport 1.5t and so far oil level looks good and no smell of gas.

·
Super Moderator
2,319 Posts
From what I'm reading in the article I linked to (and others) is this is showing up more in cold climate areas....

"The automaker claims the problem occurs due to a combination of a cold climate and short driving trips that cause condensation and excess fuel vapors if the engines don't have time to reach temperatures that would normally burn off the contaminants."

·
Registered
133 Posts
From what I'm reading in the article I linked to (and others) is this is showing up more in cold climate areas....
If anyone new needs this info either have them make a sticky or let them look it up. You've been on this board about as long as I have. I have a 2.0l but have seen enough threads on this that it just clutters up the board.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Gas smell in oil

I have a 2018 2.0T Honda Accord with 1800 miles on my car. I checked the oil and it smelled like gasoline when I checked the dip stick. I called up Honda and made an appointment to have that checked out. The oil level did look normal on the dip stick, but it smelled like gasoline.

·
Super Moderator
2,319 Posts
I have a 2018 2.0T Honda Accord with 1800 miles on my car. I checked the oil and it smelled like gasoline when I checked the dip stick. I called up Honda and made an appointment to have that checked out. The oil level did look normal on the dip stick, but it smelled like gasoline.
Hoping that there is no gas confirmed when it's checked out... might want to have an independent test done too. Keep us informed.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Way back in 2014 I was in contact with an Accord owner who like me had bought the '14 Accord. He was Canadian (I'm in upstate NY) and had problems with gasoline in the oil. I thought it was a freak thing. Never had a similar issue.

I do have concerns about running with gasoline in the oil. Unless I am deeply mistaken it can reduce the effective lubrication and cause a bent piston shaft. So I am not sure the advice to smile, be happy, and drive with a lot of gasoline in the oil is a good thing. I started getting Blackstone reports on my old Accord because I wanted to document my oil changes and I was worried about this Canadian guy who had had all these issues. So I figured it was worth it to build up a documented record. And I intend to do that now with my new Accord (I have a '19).

I don't think every post on this topic should be pooh-poohed. These cars are new and this topic is going to slowly gather more information over time.

I will say that I went to a foreign car shop in my area, they only work on Japanese cars (except Nissan, they don't do Nissan) and the guy at the desk didn't think there was anything likely amiss with the accords. It is true that I didn't ask much about the gasoline in the oil problem. We talked quite a bit about the potential for carbon build up on the valves. He said he had run up 150k on his GDI Mitsubishi without issues and he didn't foresee issues with the Accords.

That's what I know as of today. I have been up and down the internet and mostly what it does is make me worry more than I would like. In another thread I'm reading about windshields cracking spontaneously at low mileage and difficulty getting a replacement. I don't know whether to laugh or cry.

Sometimes we get too much information. Sometimes the information we get is ACCURATE. I remember back in the 90s my Nissan 240SX, I buckled up one day and a piece of plastic broke off the seat belt buckle and, unbelievably, fell inside the buckle and jammed it, so that it was worthless. This is a safety system I believe in so at my personal expense I had a new seat belt installed. A couple of years later I received a recall notice to replace the driver's seat belt saying "It might possibly fracture and a piece of plastic might possibly fall in making it inoperable." Might possibly my a$$. That was EXACTLY what happened. So these weird things....sometimes they happen to YOU. Or to me, anyhow.

That's about it,

Greg N

·
Registered
82 Posts
I forgot to add that Blackstone has very specific acceptable levels for gasoline in oil. It should not exceed 2%. You get to 4, 6, 8% you want to take those Blackstone reports to your friendly dealer and maybe also your friendly lawyer.

And one more thing to consider. Gasoline in the oil would be bound to raise the emissions profile of a car and this is something the California Air Resources Board very much does not want to happen. Since GDI is going into more and more cars one would expect a notice of some kind--but so far they haven't produced one that I can find. Their main concern about GDI is that it somewhat raises particulate emissions from gasoline engines, which apparently was expected but which they would like to get lower in future designs.

Greg N

·
Registered
82 Posts
I saw on youtube a guy who "winterized" his car by taking the pipe insulation that they sell at places like Home Depot. It's usually a gray foam in various diameters with a slit in it so you can pop it around a pipe. I'm afraid I didn't retain the details of his rather elaborate set up, but what I did "get" was that you could stuff this foam in between the plastic slats of the front grill and it will stay put and not even be that visible. By blocking the grill you decrease the flow of air over the radiator and engine and, in very cold weather, get a modest increase in the operating temperature. And an increased operating temperature, or more to the point a faster route to a warm engine, decreases the gasoline that will be burned in the recycling process as opposed to condensing into the engine.

It's a well known midwest trick, in the old days they would drop in a flattened piece of cardboard to block the radiator and pull it out when the winter season was over. These days car makers are less sloppy and there's not as much space, it's hard to get that cardboard in there. And even harder to fish it back out. But the foam pipe insulation strikes me as a good bet and easily reversible when the season is over, and the cost is ultra cheap.

I have given some thought to taking another page from the book of midwest car practices, and use one of those engine oil heaters in the winter time. Then the oil would already be at a decent operating temperature and in theory the engine would get up to its optimal heat for burning off the gasoline vapors very quickly. The problem I've had with these systems is the ones I dug out of the internet required some mods with which I am not familiar. And I'm not sure I can do those mods to my car here in upstate NY because while it gets very very cold, it doesn't quite get mind numbingly end of the world cold as it does in the midwest.

As a result we don't seem to have any mechanics familiar with installing engine oil heaters.

Greg N

·
Registered
880 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hoping that there is no gas confirmed when it's checked out... might want to have an independent test done too. Keep us informed.
The dealer told me it was normal for the break in oil to have that smell. I don't believe them.
My car now has 8000 miles on it and after the oil change , it still smells like gas is mixed in the oil.

·
Super Moderator
2,319 Posts
The dealer told me it was normal for the break in oil to have that smell. I don't believe them.
My car now has 8000 miles on it and after the oil change , it still smells like gas is mixed in the oil.
You might want to get an independent lab to analyze your oil. Once done and depending on their report take it back to your dealer and contact Honda Corporate to start a claim. Also make sure any opinions or details giving by dealership or Honda Corporate is documented.

It is my understanding due to the nature of these cars being direct injection there could be some gas getting in the oil. What is too much or acceptable I have no idea.

American Honda Motor Co., Inc.:
Honda Automobile Customer Service
Phone: (800) 999-1009
Fax: (310) 783-3023
Mon – Fri
6:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m., PT

·
Registered
26 Posts
A class Action suit on the Accord ? Did you get your models mixed up? Was it not on the Crv and Civic?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts