2018 Honda Accord Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After just 2 years of being very pleased with my 2018 Accord, @ 29K miles this past month a very serious safety issue arose...

Out of nowhere one night, all the warning lights illuminated on the dashboard, several error messages appeared on the audio screen, and the car speed dropped to 10 MPH - HOLY CRAP!

Over the past few weeks, after 3 tows to the dealer following 3 more similar incidents (one which occurred on an interstate highway with a truck right behind me), the dealer’s service department discovered a very small crack in the left taillight, where water apparently entered and tripped the main sensor for the electrical parking break, among others that are wired to it.

The taillight crack was news to me w/this car extremely well-kept - likely from a shopping cart bumping into it. Regardless, this is a SERIOUS DESIGN FLAW & SAFETY RISK!!

I no longer trust this car and I’m working with the dealer on my options going forward, but wanted to post this here as a warning to anyone with a 2018 Accord.

This ordeal has been pretty traumatic, with more than one potentially fatal accident over the past month and areal disappointment to the Honda brand once known for its reliability - WOW.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I can see how this would be frustrating- however I don’t think a majority of Accord X owners have had this, or a similar, issue. I’ve had 2 Accord X’s and 0 issues so far.

None the less, this seems like absolute bullish for you, and hopefully you can damage control the situation.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I can see how this would be frustrating- however I don’t think a majority of Accord X owners have had this, or a similar, issue. I’ve had 2 Accord X’s and 0 issues so far.

None the less, this seems like absolute bullish for you, and hopefully you can damage control the situation.
I agree that most owners have likely not experienced this issue - although the dealer’s service manager researched this with other dealers nationwide and confirmed similar cases, including one within the same week at this dealer - in each case, it was a cracked left taillight with subsequent water that came into the fixture and caused the exact same events.

So if your taillight gets cracked, don’t ignore it - replace it!

·
Administrator
2,839 Posts
Can't really say this is a safety issue since it's a result of a damaged taillight. Now, if for some reason this would happen w/out any damage to vehicle that IMO would be an issue that Honda would be accountable to mediate. It is definitely prudent information that we as owners need to be aware of and look out for... thanks for sharing.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Can't really say this is a safety issue since it's a result of a damaged taillight. Now, if for some reason this would happen w/out any damage to vehicle that IMO would be an issue that Honda would be accountable to mediate. It is definitely prudent information that we as owners need to be aware of and look out for... thanks for sharing.
To clarify - the safety issue is in the design flaw of encasing an important emergency brake sensor inside a taillight fixture that’s prone to being hit by another object or vehicle. In my case there was a minor crack in the taillight - perfect height for the common shopping cart that likely ran into it - but barely noticeable (otherwise I would’ve replaced it).

Regardless, water came in & built up around an apparently unsealed brake sensor (another design flaw or just overlooked during production?), and wreaked havoc on me while I was driving. The same result has happened to other 2018 Accord owners also, including sudden drastic reduction in speed - some while driving on a highway with young kids as passengers.

So with all due respect, I beg to differ - the design of this taillight/sensor combo most certainly IS a safety issue...

·
Registered
1 Posts
To clarify - the safety issue is in the design flaw of encasing an important emergency brake sensor inside a taillight fixture that’s prone to being hit by another object or vehicle. In my case there was a minor crack in the taillight - perfect height for the common shopping cart that likely ran into it - but barely noticeable (otherwise I would’ve replaced it).

Regardless, water came in & built up around an apparently unsealed brake sensor (another design flaw or just overlooked during production?), and wreaked havoc on me while I was driving. The same result has happened to other 2018 Accord owners also, including sudden drastic reduction in speed - some while driving on a highway with young kids as passengers.

So with all due respect, I beg to differ - the design of this taillight/sensor combo most certainly IS a safety issue...
I too have recently had a similar incident with my 2018 Accord 2.0 Touring Turbo. On the interstate, going 70 mph and using ACC, when all the warning lights came on and the car went from 73 to 35 mph in an instant! Needless to say SCARY! And the car is currently at the dealership (managed to limp to it luckily) and I'm now waiting to hear what they say. I am beginning to not trust this car.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I too have recently had a similar incident with my 2018 Accord 2.0 Touring Turbo. On the interstate, going 70 mph and using ACC, when all the warning lights came on and the car went from 73 to 35 mph in an instant! Needless to say SCARY! And the car is currently at the dealership (managed to limp to it luckily) and I'm now waiting to hear what they say. I am beginning to not trust this car.
Be sure to check the driver side rear twilight for any cracks where water may have gotten and tripped the sensor. Also check your ez pass location - I had mine top center of windshield behind rearview mirror and it apparently was too close to the mounted camera, which also caused several warning lights to come on including the ACC. What a PAIN - Good Luck!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.