2018 Honda Accord Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Help Please! This is my 4th Honda I've purchased new 3 accords and 1 CRV and I love them, but this one is going to be the death of me. We have 145K on it and I've kept all the maintained on it current. Recently, I've started feeling a misfire but no code. It finally gave me a code and put the car in limp mode misfire bank 3. I went to O'Reillys and bought a new coil pack and plugs and changed them out with no issues for 3-4 days again misfire bank 3. I warranted out the parts replaced and 3-4 days no issues then bam again. Took it to the local mechanic and he put BG K-44 in it and told me to drive the tank, so I did and for over 350 miles ran outstanding! Well here comes the misfire so I took it to dealership and the said I needed OEM coil and plugs, so I did and ran well 300 miles and again misfire. Took it back to the dealership and they felt fuel injectors and valve adjustment. Still has a random misfire and the fuel mileage is still just as good as I bought it brand new. Help, I'm at a loss! Thanks in advance!

· Registered
7 Posts
sounds like you and I are experiencing the same thing my friend. see my situation that i just got done posting on another board. I sitting here scouring the forums for others experiencing the same and BAM! here you are.

"Well...I just came back from the dealer with a diagnosis of a blown head gasket and coolant leaking into cylinder 2 & 3 on my 2018 accord 2.0 with 95,000 miles. I received a back pocket estimate of $5k to repair and I am absolutely shocked at not only the cost to repair but the fact that I am having to deal with this on a religiously maintained, supposedly reliable vehicle. The service manager has agreed to reach out to Honda corporate and request a goodwill repair and I hope they will be successful because this feels like a punch in belly.

Some quick history:
I noticed coolant loss about 5 mos ago in the reservoir and radiator but did not see any leaks, white foam under the oil fill cap, smoke out of the exhaust, visually contaminated oil, coolant smell from the vents, wet floor boards or overheating. Pretty confident it was simply a pinhole in the radiator somewhere I decided to refill and observe for any further loss since the vehicle ran fine otherwise. In total I added 2/3 of a gallon. About a month ago, the check engine came on with cylinder 2 misfire. I replaced all the spark plugs since i was so close to 100k and also changed out coil pack on spark plug 2 myself with honda OEM parts. I had suspicions of what was going on but was hopeful for the best outcome. Vehicle ran fine for ~750 miles and then the misfire came back. I brought the vehicle in for diagnosis and my fears were confirmed...a blown head gasket and a $5k bill.

Wondering what everyone's thoughts are on:
1. Likelihood of Honda agreement to goodwill the repair on a vehicle with religious, single dealer service?
2. how much damage has been done to the engine internals (bearings, etc) should I decide to repair?
3. likelihood of damage to the catalytic converter?
4. likelihood of future issues cropping up in the engine from this?

I appreciate any help or advice you all can provide. I also hope this may serve as a warning for anyone else experiencing similar symptoms. I was really excited about this vehicle when I bought it to replace my totaled 2015 1.5 CVT that was experiencing significant oil consumption. I was glad to see that vehicle go the way of the scrap yard but with this being my second Honda to have significant engine issues before hitting 100k I am not likely to purchase or recommend to others. These high output 4 cylinders are a blast to drive and fuel efficient but not at the expense of longevity. What happened to the Honda reliability the brand was built upon?"

· Registered
7 Posts
your plugs are likely fouling because of coolant entering the combustion chamber. Have them scope the cylinders. I am hoping my dealership will get Honda corporate to cover through goodwill warranty. If not, this will definitely be the last Honda I buy.

· Registered
32 Posts
could be time for an engine cleaning perhaps? i know DI engines build up carbon overtime in the engine. not sure if an internal walnut-blasting method (expensive) or that IV style where they hang a big tube of engine cleaner and floor the engine repeatedly for like half an hour will be what you need. maybe opening up the engine could be beneficial so you can examine everything for any damage. im not too familiar with the intake/outtake layout but perhaps that cylinder with the misfire is the closest or furthest one from outtake/inttake and is the most gummed up. please come back and let us know the results if you ever find out...i am interested in case it happens to me.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts