2018 Honda Accord Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have never owned a car that needs rear brakes with only 13000 miles on the car before. I don't do much stop and go driving. I usually get between 30-40000 miles on a set of brake pads with my previous cars. What is wrong with these brakes?

·
Registered
2018 Honda Accord LX Unmodified
11 Posts
I have never owned a car that needs rear brakes with only 13000 miles on the car before. I don't do much stop and go driving. I usually get between 30-40000 miles on a set of brake pads with my previous cars. What is wrong with these brakes?
There's been a lot of chatter about rear brake pad replacement on this and other Accord forums. I currently have 87k miles on my Accord and am about to replace the rear pads for the second time. I do a lot of highway miles and use the ACC whenever I can. I do notice that the ACC uses the rear brakes, if not exclusively then primarily when it needs to slow to adjust to traffic. I know not a whole lot of people ascribe the ACC to rear brake pad wear, but I can't explain it any other way. Luckily, the pads are cheap and easy enough to change and the rotors tend to stay true over the changes.

·
Registered
30 Posts
i changed my rear pads around 16-18k, it just seems to wear really fast for some reason. changing them was actually pretty easy. i will say that now im at about 30k miles and they seem to still be as thick as when they were new. it is possible that the first few model years had defective brake pads and the newer brake pads have been changed to wear less quickly.

·
Registered
2018 Honda Accord LX Unmodified
11 Posts
i changed my rear pads around 16-18k, it just seems to wear really fast for some reason. changing them was actually pretty easy. i will say that now im at about 30k miles and they seem to still be as thick as when they were new. it is possible that the first few model years had defective brake pads and the newer brake pads have been changed to wear less quickly.
you may be right... to a point. Defective pads? I wouldn't call them that. Bad engineering or choice of pads by Honda would be more accurate. When I first changed my pads the usual online dealers didn't even have them on their sites. When I called, the dealer gave me the PN and said they were available, but that Honda was in the process of changing PNs and thus the parts themselves. In the last couple years Honda has changed the rear pad PN 3 additional times. So are they defective? Nope, the original pads did their job, they stopped the car when needed, but they may have been designed so poorly that they wore so quickly. I'm about ready to change mine again and will use the 4th iteration of the pads. My last set, the 2nd iteration lasted much longer than the originals and maybe the latest will last even longer. BTW, I still believe that for us adaptive cruise control users in areas where traffic tends to be somewhat congested, the braking provided by the ACC and that is plenty of times over the course of a trip uses the rears primarily to slow the car and thus accelerates the pad wear.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Are you using brake hold feature? When I was using brake hold I could, at best, get 15k miles out of rear pads. I have not used it since 28k miles (third time I had to change rear brakes). I just hit 50k miles and I'm still on that third set. Brake hold is hard on rear pads.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Are you using brake hold feature? When I was using brake hold I could, at best, get 15k miles out of rear pads. I have not used it since 28k miles (third time I had to change rear brakes). I just hit 50k miles and I'm still on that third set. Brake hold is hard on rear pads.
I never use brake hold and I hardly ever use adaptive cruise control and still only got 13000 miles on rear pads.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts