2018 Honda Accord Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone just an update on my car. I was finally able to get it wrapped. I thought it turned out pretty good. Before and after pictures below.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
199 Posts
What is wrapped? It looks like it was painted. I presume that's the idea but it's less expensive? The black is the before? What is that color called?

·
Registered
178 Posts
It looks like a good wrap job. But, I'm old school and have a heck of a time understanding such mod. Is this the latest thing that younger owners are doing and why?

Just curious ...

·
Super Moderator
821 Posts
What is wrapped? It looks like it was painted. I presume that's the idea but it's less expensive? The black is the before? What is that color called?
Car wrapping is the process of applying a film to the exterior of a car's body in order to change the way it looks. Car wrapping can be done in just certain sections of the car, like the bonnet or roof, or the entire car itself. In either case it is used advertisement purposes or as a way to change the color of your car without actually touching the paint underneath.
Car wrap is a vinyl material very similar to what's used for window tinting. Its composition makes it an ideal material because it withstands the impact from minor road debris, is resistant to scratching, and can handle intense heat and sunlight. As a matter of fact, when you wrap an entire car from bumper-to-bumper it protects the paint underneath from any harm, essentially increasing the resale value of the vehicle.

·
Super Moderator
821 Posts
It looks like a good wrap job. But, I'm old school and have a heck of a time understanding such mod. Is this the latest thing that younger owners are doing and why?

Just curious ...
I've seen this done a lot in the "custom car" world.... it's a way to get a custom color while maintaining the original color of the vehicle for resale purposes in the future.

BTW... to the OP... looks nice... that's a well done wrap and will definitely set your car apart from all the rest. Also are those caliper covers or did you have those painted?

·
Super Moderator
199 Posts
Ok, so it’s like the cars for pizza or plumbing or whatever but without the advertising on it. It looks like a professional paint job when it’s straight color like this. It looks good. Curious about the cost too.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I've seen this done a lot in the "custom car" world.... it's a way to get a custom color while maintaining the original color of the vehicle for resale purposes in the future.

BTW... to the OP... looks nice... that's a well done wrap and will definitely set your car apart from all the rest. Also are those caliper covers or did you have those painted?
Great explanation Fired00d and yes it is very popular in the custom car world. If I could go back I would want to get the rims you have also. I was so close to getting them. As far as the calipers I painted them. There are alot of videos online on painting brake calipers. I was even thinking of trying to look for a Nardo gray type color and paint the calipers again.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ok, so it’s like the cars for pizza or plumbing or whatever but without the advertising on it. It looks like a professional paint job when it’s straight color like this. It looks good. Curious about the cost too.
How much did the entire wrap cost
So before I go the car wrap I did a lot of research and watched a lot of videos before deciding where to get my car wrap.
There are alot of factors that determine the cost of the wrap:
- Brand of the wrap such as 3m, Avery Dennison, and Vivid - Certain wraps are more difficult to install than others
- Car type - when they install the wrap they disassemble certain pieces or panels of the car to get a secure wrap on the surface - Some cars are easy to disassemble than others
- Finish of the wrap- They have gloss, satin, matte, and even chrome finish wraps. I think the first three finishes are close in price but I do know chrome is a lot more expensive
- Size of car- If you have a smaller car it would cost less because they use less vinyl

For the most part I found that the average cost of vinyl wraps for good quality range from 2500 -4000. For my car the total cost was 3000 which included the chrome delete around the windows and side skirts. This also comes with a one year warranty if any for damage or peeling of the wrap comes apart they redo it for free. Also with wraps like fired00d mentioned before you don't have to do the complete car. You can do just the roof, body kits, mirrors, or skirts. I really like the look the black accents add to my car. I always wanted a car that Nardo grey type color and getting it vinyl wrapped was the closest thing to it. This color on my car is Avery Dennison Dark gloss grey.

·
Super Moderator
821 Posts
Great explanation Fired00d and yes it is very popular in the custom car world. If I could go back I would want to get the rims you have also. I was so close to getting them. As far as the calipers I painted them. There are alot of videos online on painting brake calipers. I was even thinking of trying to look for a Nardo gray type color and paint the calipers again.
Awesome, thanks for the info on the calipers. Now, since it's only paint having them Nardo gray to match the car would be bad @$$!!! :grin:

Again great job in customizing your ride.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Looks great man, definitely a cheaper way to go about getting a unique finish. Black accenting really suits the color. You plan on tinting the tail lights?

·
Registered
151 Posts
Really nice looking car. I'm sure it was significantly cheaper than what it would've cost to paint. What sort of warranty/protection is there on a full body wrap?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Yea so I was thinking about doing that and I saw alot of DIY kits that you can buy. Right now there are no kits that the tint film is cut specifically for the 2018 accord so I might just wait on that.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Really nice looking car. I'm sure it was significantly cheaper than what it would've cost to paint. What sort of warranty/protection is there on a full body wrap?
Thanks for the comment. So with this wrap it comes with a one year warrant that any peeling or bubbling of the wrap they will re-wrap that panel for free. He did tell me that this would only happen if the wrap wasn't heated properly but he said they did a good job making sure the wrap was installed correctly. He did tell me that he has seen wraps last for 4 years. Really just depends how well you maintain it such as hand-washing the car and keep stored out of the sun if you can.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Hello,

It does look great, congrats!!

I'm surprised you had to chrome delete the side skirt tho. You said it was the sport trim right? I don't think it comes with chrome accent on the skirt....I'm confused.

·
Registered
318 Posts
I've had the hood wrapped on previous cars I've owned, and it held up pretty well even through the winter. It doesn't take much for a stone to chip/peel it, so its worth looking into a clear stone chip film for the front of the vehicle.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Hello,

It does look great, congrats!!

I'm surprised you had to chrome delete the side skirt tho. You said it was the sport trim right? I don't think it comes with chrome accent on the skirt....I'm confused.
Thanks for the comment. Yes it is a sport 2.0T. I bought the side skirt separately and installed it myself. Saves you about 300 dollars if you do it that way.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts