2018 Honda Accord Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

I got my hybrid last year and have been loving it. When I initially bought my car, I asked one of the engineers there if I would be able to fit bigger wheels on the car and he said the regenerative braking wouldn’t allow for the fitment, which I call bs. I’m just wondering if anyone has gone ahead and put aftermarket wheels on their hybrids. If so, I’d like to see them! Let me know what the size and specs of the wheels and tires are down below with a picture!

Thank you
- Blake

·
Registered
20 Posts
Wheels for 10th Gen Hybrid Accord

I saw this same question asked in an earlier thread. I think the 19" wheels on the 2.0T version would look much better than the 17"'s on my 2018 hybrid. Everything that i've read is pretty-much the same as the what the engineer told you, but maybe someone will post their own experience with having put larger wheels on the hybrid accord.

Thanks
Kirby

QUOTE=BlakeStevens718;25908]Hey guys,

I got my hybrid last year and have been loving it. When I initially bought my car, I asked one of the engineers there if I would be able to fit bigger wheels on the car and he said the regenerative braking wouldn’t allow for the fitment, which I call bs. I’m just wondering if anyone has gone ahead and put aftermarket wheels on their hybrids. If so, I’d like to see them! Let me know what the size and specs of the wheels and tires are down below with a picture!

Thank you
- Blake[/QUOTE]

Attachments

·
Premium Member
199 Posts
Well, as I so brilliantly said in the other thread :)

I can't understand buying a hybrid car whose main purpose is maximum fuel efficiency and then swapping for tires whose main purpose is exactly the opposite. Adding more weight, more rolling resistance and larger contact patch at each corner are all counter productive.

I've been looking into an Enkei 16" wheel at 13.7 pounds and Continental True Contact tire at 19 pounds per tire, 32.7 pounds per corner versus the 49.5 pounds of the stock wheel and tire. Saving 16.8 pounds per corner of unsprung weight is pretty huge.

Going from 225 to 205 width is a significant reduction in the "wall" of rubber that has to be pushed through the wind, another fuel saving factor that increases as the speed increases.

It's also much easier on the drivetrain to get them moving than the almost 50 pound 17's and the 19's are more difficult to get moving and to keep moving so more strain, wear and tear on the car every mile. YMMV, especially in this situation.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Well, as I so brilliantly said in the other thread :)

I can't understand buying a hybrid car whose main purpose is maximum fuel efficiency and then swapping for tires whose main purpose is exactly the opposite. Adding more weight, more rolling resistance and larger contact patch at each corner are all counter productive.

I've been looking into an Enkei 16" wheel at 13.7 pounds and Continental True Contact tire at 19 pounds per tire, 32.7 pounds per corner versus the 49.5 pounds of the stock wheel and tire. Saving 16.8 pounds per corner of unsprung weight is pretty huge.

Going from 225 to 205 width is a significant reduction in the "wall" of rubber that has to be pushed through the wind, another fuel saving factor that increases as the speed increases.

It's also much easier on the drivetrain to get them moving than the almost 50 pound 17's and the 19's are more difficult to get moving and to keep moving so more strain, wear and tear on the car every mile. YMMV, especially in this situation.
The reduction in rotational mass and unsprung weight bring big benefit to gas mileage, acceleration, braking, and ride. There are other posts here from members that put the larger, heavier 19” wheels on their hybrids and regretted it. Their added bling comes at a bigger cost than just the wheels.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Yes, it's obvious that a bigger wheel will have some effect; what is not obvious is how much of an effect. I could live with loosing just a couple of miles per gallon....but wouldn't want to screw anything up. (Otherwise, I couldn't be happier with the performance of this car after 14,000 miles! My first Accord was a 1990 that I retired after 500+ miles and before that I had 3 Chevrolet Monte Carlos.)

·
Premium Member
199 Posts
You will lose mpg for certain, the only question being how much. You'll also put more stress on the drivetrain and the brakes, again the question being how much. Find a lightweight wheel in stock size that you like the look of and improve all those things instead of impairing them.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hey guys,

Thank you
- Blake

I asked the guy at the service desk multiple times if getting bigger wheels on my hybrid accord would void warranty. He said as long as I get wheels with same rolling circumference it wouldnt. And should affect abs or any other sensors. I have lost about 2mpg since putting these 19's on. Rolling circumference is the same as stock 17's after tires. From day 1 I never got the epa47. I always had average of 38 since new. Now im getting 36. I never reset my tripB since purchase 19k miles now.

Attachments

·
Registered
3 Posts
I asked the guy at the service desk multiple times if getting bigger wheels on my hybrid accord would void warranty. He said as long as I get wheels with same rolling circumference it wouldnt. And should affect abs or any other sensors. I have lost about 2mpg since putting these 19's on. Rolling circumference is the same as stock 17's after tires. From day 1 I never got the epa47. I always had average of 38 since new. Now im getting 36. I never reset my tripB since purchase 19k miles now.
Do you do a lot of freeway (over 70 mph) driving?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Do you do a lot of freeway (over 70 mph) driving?
Any highway driving I do is over 70mph now. After purchasing the car and getting below 40mpg when I took it in for service. I asked the tech why is was so far below epa estimates he gave me the answer "well it could have been tested at optimal circumstances for the epa amd thats not what we have here" when we first purchased the car me and the wife tried very hard to see how high we could get the average mpg. After getting well below epa we stoped trying.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Any highway driving I do is over 70mph now. After purchasing the car and getting below 40mpg when I took it in for service. I asked the tech why is was so far below epa estimates he gave me the answer "well it could have been tested at optimal circumstances for the epa amd thats not what we have here" when we first purchased the car me and the wife tried very hard to see how high we could get the average mpg. After getting well below epa we stoped trying.
When you were trying, what kind of speeds were you driving then? I've read that the 5 mph change from 65 to 70 makes a big difference.

·
Registered
163 Posts
In general hybrids do their best job in urban traffic. The regenerative braking is the main gas saving feature. Constant freeway driving eliminates that advantage.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts