2018 Honda Accord Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

New Member. This is my first Honda. I've been buying cars since 1958 so I am a newbie to the forum but not to autos. I'm having two issues with the new 2018 Honda Touring that the dealer cannot solve and wondered if anyone else is experiencing the problems.

ACC - At times at high speed (60mph+) it disconnects with a warning that the braking system is failing and to contact dealer.

I've taken it in twice to Spring Branch Honda here in Houston and they claim they cannot duplicate the problem I've experienced five or six times in 1000 miles of driving. Today they told me they drove it for one hour without duplicating the problem. Since they only drove it 15 miles I find it hard to imagine they "drove it for an hour".

The second issue is the Auto feature on the A/C in the Eco mode. If it's 80 degrees outside I want the cockpit cooled to say 74 degrees. I have to set the Auto dial to 64 degrees to begin to get comfortable.

Other than that, after 3000 plus miles I love the car. Just wondering if this is a new model that is cutting it's baby teeth on tech.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Welcome to the forum, and congrats on your first Honda Accord! I believe this is the first we've heard about ACC problems. Don't let up on getting your dealer to try and replicate the issue. Perhaps the issue is something with the sensors/ radar unit.

·
Registered
1 Posts
What came of this? I just had this happen and am taking it in to the dealer tomorrow. Turning the car off and back on reset the issue and acc is available again and the alert went away. Thanks for any insight

·
Registered
1 Posts
I’m having a similar problem. Many Collision Mitigation faults (multiple times per day when on long trips). 1 time got ACC, Collision Mitigation, Auto high beam and Road Departure warnings all at the same time. Dealer says “clean sensors” but they aren’t dirty so I’m skeptical.

Any updates from others?

·
Registered
242 Posts
I would first try to get a second opinion from another dealer.
Not everyone has the same knowledge or will be as helpful as they should.

Another step is to call Honda Corporate and see what their teams have to suggest.

·
Registered
3 Posts
ACC - At times at high speed (60mph+) it disconnects with a warning that the braking system is failing and to contact dealer.

The second issue is the Auto feature on the A/C in the Eco mode. If it's 80 degrees outside I want the cockpit cooled to say 74 degrees. I have to set the Auto dial to 64 degrees to begin to get comfortable.
There's a discussion about the "Collision Mitigation Braking System Problem. See Your Dealer." message that also disables the CMBS, ACC, and "regular' cruise control on here. I've experienced it myself four times in my two month-old Accord.

https://www.accordxclub.com/forum/9-2018-honda-accord-general-discussion-forum/1040-serious-problems-safety-systems-cmbs-etc.html

There a much larger discussion on another Accord forum about it as well.

https://www.driveaccord.net/forums/241-10th-generation/502402-collision-mitigation-braking-system-problem-warning-light-see-your-dealer.html

Regarding your concern about the A/C performance in ECON (not ECO) mode, that's normal. Some of the changes ECON mode makes are reducing the compressor capacity to allow the evaporator to run a bit warmer and allowing larger differences between set temperature and actual temperature in an effort to save a tiny amount of fuel. Lowering the set point helps compensate for the reduced A/C performance, but it also wipes out the tiny fuel savings. :)

·
Registered
15 Posts
Have your phone camera ready. When the alert triggers, take a snapshot and bring it to the dealer.
I brought this and a similar issue to my dealer with photos. The second issue was that often when I was stopped at a traffic light, the parking sensors would start beeping even though there was no movement. The dealer said that it was a bad sensor and they ordered a new one (not received yet). Then they said the ACC sometime turning off while on the highway might be caused by the same sensor. I highly doubt this. Anyway, they had no solution for the ACC shutting down except to turn off the car and restart it. Obviously an issue that needs a resolution.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Accord has less than a thousnad miles

I had the same issue with the ACC took a picture and went to the dealer, they did diagnostics on, it and found no problems. possible an object or dirt blocked the radar sensor. They reset the error code and cleaned the notification. Another thing that i thought very unusual was I had the cruise on at about 50mph following a vehicle, that vehicle went into the right lane and I was approaching a stopped car at a red light, by car sped up and I had to slam on the brakes and was about a foot from hitting him. Anyone else had that problem?

·
Registered
46 Posts
Another thing that i thought very unusual was I had the cruise on at about 50mph following a vehicle, that vehicle went into the right lane and I was approaching a stopped car at a red light, by car sped up and I had to slam on the brakes and was about a foot from hitting him. Anyone else had that problem?
I treat the system as a driver aide and I also intervene in certain situations.

The adaptive cruise didn’t seem to realize a car was in the distance stopped at a light or whatever. So it’s up to you to recognize that when the car moved out of your lane you should take control momentarily to bring the car to a stop. It’s difficult sometimes for the car to recognize the new vehicle in front and will speed up to your set speed.
I’ve had this happen with Mercedes distronic (their version of Honda sensing) and although their system is good, it will never be perfect. And neither will Honda sensing.

·
Registered
129 Posts
This system is a aid only. There is a disclaimer that appears on the screen when you start your car explaining the legalese of the system. It's not perfect in every situation but I like the features well enough to use it.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I have the same problem. Have a case manager and case number at corporate. Been hagling with them for a month. They even replaced the radio with no improvement after 1 week. Took on 1000 mile trip with essentially no cruise control. I've even ask for a new car??!! I am not holding my breath on that one. Thinking trading in on a Toyota or another Subaru(good results from Subaru corporate) Poor service from Honda. Dealer service manager says to keep nagging Honda. I have spent hours on phone. $35,000 car and this is what I have to put up with.

See my thread "Upset with Honda"

I get a lot of suggestions of which none work.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Hi all,

New Member. This is my first Honda. I've been buying cars since 1958 so I am a newbie to the forum but not to autos. I'm having two issues with the new 2018 Honda Touring that the dealer cannot solve and wondered if anyone else is experiencing the problems.

I've taken it in twice to Spring Branch Honda here in Houston and they claim they cannot duplicate the problem I've experienced five or six times in 1000 miles of driving. Today they told me they drove it for one hour without duplicating the problem. Since they only drove it 15 miles I find it hard to imagine they "drove it for an hour".

Other than that, after 3000 plus miles I love the car. Just wondering if this is a new model that is cutting it's baby teeth on tech.
I have noticed inconsistent performance by the climate control system as well. Both on the a/c and heater sides of the system. This AM drove about 30 miles to my destination with the temp set at 71 deg for comfort. The return trip required 75 degrees. Ambient was 35-40 deg. F. Similarly this past summer I used settings of 73-78 for comfort. I assume you have noticed the difference’s when driving toward the sun vs away from the sun. The small round sensor on top of the dash toward the passenger side is responsible for that. I wonder if it is the source of our complaints. There have been other observations of this phenomenon as well.

Bought my first car ($75) in 1955.

·
Registered
41 Posts
My wife and I are very sorry we bought a 2018 Honda Accord Touring. We call it our POS car that Honda won’t or can’t fix. Wish we could trade it in for a Toyota or anything else that won’t break done from get go. Already 8 trips to the dealership and hours on phone with corporate.

They it is a programming error and might have a fix in February. Not holding my breath.

I love it when they say they have never heard of this problem before. I pulled out my iPad and Show them this forum.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Feel your pain

My wife and I are very sorry we bought a 2018 Honda Accord Touring. We call it our POS car that Honda won’t or can’t fix. Wish we could trade it in for a Toyota or anything else that won’t break done from get go. Already 8 trips to the dealership and hours on phone with corporate.

They it is a programming error and might have a fix in February. Not holding my breath.

I love it when they say they have never heard of this problem before. I pulled out my iPad and Show them this forum.
2018 Accord Sport 2.0T owner, and my car just came out the dealership from a 6 day visit with the service dept. Of course they cannot replicate the freak incidents that have occurred. If you want to read more check out my open case with Honda attached. They paid for me to use the rental car they had on site and I drove a 18 civic sport touring hatchback which gave me a much more secure driving experience. I understand it is a new generation and issues will arise but after online searches these incidents have occurred with a few other owners as well. My advice is try to document as much as possible(which in itself is almost impossible, the radio issue in my attached statement i was able to catch the second time it occurred on my phone because of course the service dept shrugged their shoulders and said this is the first time this has happen. If anything else occurs, I seriously think I may give up on this car, which sucks because I really love my car. Maybe Honda will come out with a big fix or some of this stuff will get rolled into a recall. My wife has a 18 cr-v with the sensing suite and these things have never occurred, and my brother owns a 18 civic touring with sensing as well with no issues. This forum really is a life saver, and I appreciate all you guys advice and tips.

Attachments

·
Registered
41 Posts
Update: Called my case manager today and again got the same excuses. He had even promised to call me yesterday and didn’t, stated he was too busy and I was not a priority. Stated I should have patience with Honda. My patience has run out. Two months of haggling over this has worn me out. My wife even said I should trade it off.

Case manager even stated that I maybe get a lawyer. What a a$$hole.

I Googled and found the email addresses of the top people of Honda. President, COO, customer service. Sent them all a email. Will see if I get responses.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Having same acc issues with my 2018 Accord Touring 2.0. Fails mostly during highway driving in moderate to light traffic. Get CMBS Problem message.

Took to dealer on Nov. 1 for 5th time to fix it. Because they couldn’t duplicate, they had me go in on Nov 6 so they could record me driving and send to Honda. Gave me the car back and failure occurred next day. Brought it back on Nov 7 with failure lights on. They gave it back to me Nov 19 and said they couldn’t duplicate after driving 250 miles. Wrote up the service ticket to say that I basically abuse the system by using it at all times—I had to clarify that I use it on the highway and often use the brake and gas myself. Also had to clarify I rarely use it in city. As anyone who uses it knows, it’s pretty impractical to use on city streets unless you’re on a longer stretch w/o lights. Honda also made them put in a statement that it’s not a safety system, even though Honda’s website advertises it as such. They obviously got my lemon law claim and are trying to develop a favorable record.

Honda Cust Service has been horrible this whole time. I didn’t hear from them for the last 13 days my car was in the shop, despite asking them for an update, even if the update was that they’re working on it. Also, on Nov 6, they demanded that I immediately schedule a test drive with the service techs or return the loaner, even though that was the first time Honda corporate made the request and they hadn’t called me in 5 days. I told them that they should give me at least a day to get it scheduled considering they hadn’t returned my requests for an update in 5 days. I finally got through to CS via Twitter last week only to be told they can’t do anything because it’s with Honda Mediation, who is supposed to call me by the middle of this week. Not sure what that means and they didn’t elaborate when I asked.

So, now I wait for the issue to come up again, which certainly will happen in the next week. And I’ll have to bring my car in immediately so they can get the error code, which means I need to hope I can work remotely that day. I wouldn’t mind if Honda gave me equipment to record the issue—it’s a simple code reader and their diagnostic program—if that would help them fix it. It would cost them almost nothing to do that.

I sent Honda a demand for repurchase under the lemon law and suspect that may be why they moved my case to mediation. I suspect they’re going to tell me that various items can cause the CMBS to shut down and this is normal—basically it’s unreliable and I have to live with it. They hinted at that in the language they put in my last service ticket.

Ultimately, I’ve found that I’ve gotten better customer service returning a defective vacuum cleaner to Macy’s than getting my defective car fixed by Honda. My wife and I both have Hondas—we’re the brand ambassadors they should want—and they’ve figured out how to make us never buy a Honda product again. The sad part is that it would cost them very little to address this issue. They could repurchase the car, fix it, and sell it at a loss of maybe 5k (assuming they sold it to the dealer at cost), which is not even a rounding error for them. Or offer me a new car, which again likely will cost them barely anything because they’re just going to sell my car.

Good luck.

·
Registered
12 Posts
hey guys,

I wish you all the best in resolution of your issues, but i'd like to share my success. So far, (knock on wood) no faults with ACC. I was explained the ACC system in detail by a tech at my dealer because he happened to be a master tech who helped design the ACC. Unfortunately, if we don't keep our radars (the small square in the bumber) immaculately clean, the system is prone to failure.

For what it's worth, I have 9,000 miles on my 18' and have not had 1 issue without cleaning. BUT...I also live in sunny San Diego with no bugs.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I am sorry to hear that someone else is going through what I’m going through with Honda. Very frustrating company! Hope we both get a good resolution.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts