2018 Honda Accord Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I just traded in my 2015 accord sport for the new 2019 1.5 sport. I loved the car and was enjoying it for the whole week. Buying all accessory and was about to bring it in to get the remote start programmed. I woke up and was on my way to work and 3 blocks down a young lady switch lane without looking and side swiped my driver side rear door all the way to the back wheel well and hitting the car in front of her in the process.

She has a reputable insurance company and I'm about to get everything repaired. The problem is now the bottom quarter panel by the wheel is now dent and scratched which will require body filler. For a car that is only 1 week old now I lose value?

Anyone have experience and how I should approach the situation. How does the diminished value claim process work?

·
Super Moderator
879 Posts
Regarding the repair have you talked to a body shop as to how they will repair your car? Depending on the damage to the quarter panel and the expertise of the body shop your worries may be a mute point. If the damage is so severe that they aren't able to straighten it out they may cut it out and replace it w/a new one. A good metal worker with the right tools can straighten out metal to the point that damage is barely noticed, then use a light coat of filler (not the old days of just using bondo like play-doh to fill in the dents) to smooth it out before painting. Shop around to body shops, ask how they are going to repair it, if the panel needs to be replaced request only Honda OEM parts, then pick the body shop you feel will do the job the way you want it done.

Regarding the diminished value I've never had to deal with that when selling/trading a vehicle. I would guess that an accident might show up on the car if a Carfax report was requested. If that is the case it may be best to disclose the information up front and provide the details of how it was repaired. If repaired correctly (w/OEM parts if needed) unless it's some collector wanting an all original car I don't think there is that much if any negative impact on resale.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts