2018 Honda Accord Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’ve got a 2019 Accord with 4700 miles. I’m hearing a faint whining noise under low speed acceleration. It’s not noticeable with the windows up or in a noisier environment. Some people are saying it might be the turbos but it sounds more like something that would come out of the transmission. With me being at such low miles i’m not sure what the problem can be? Can anyone shed some light on this so i have at least a little bit more information before i bring it in to the dealership and have them turn me away.

·
Administrator
2,838 Posts
If you're the original owner and you've never heard this noise before w/the windows down I would think it wouldn't be the turbo. I think if it were that you would have heard it before (all the time). What makes you think it's transmission related? Does the frequency/degree of whine change w/speed or gear changes?

·
Registered
93 Posts
Hi all,
I have a 10AT in my 2018 2.0T Touring that now has 157,xxx miles on it. I figured I would throw this little bit of info in here for others.

Two days ago (across most of the nation since I was on a road trip) I noticed sort of a scraping noise when the transmission is shifted into reverse while stopped, or driven in reverse, or when it's in 3rd gear and moving forward.

I had been stuck in slow traffic for 20 minutes or so (Which is fairly typical for lots of people so I suspect it's just worn out and not specifically related to the stop and go traffic) and then climbed in elevation for a while at highway speeds. After that, I noticed the noise when I took an offramp to turn around.

I drove the remaining 1,000+ miles almost all on the highway and tried to avoid 3rd gear when I could.

I've watched this video of the 10AT teardown
but I haven't yet determined what area of the 10AT might be operating 3rd gear and/or reverse. I do wonder if it could be one of the filter screens between the valve body and the transmission. (Go to 9:30 in the video) I also can see it being a worn out clutch pack.
Unfortunately, the lower filter requires the case be opened so it almost seems like a total overhaul might be the right plan of attack anyway. Replace all the filters, check all the bushings, check all the solenoids, replace the clutch packs, etc.
I have been changing the AT fluid (with the proper Honda stuff) each time the Maintenance Minder says it's due. It's actually due again right about 4,000 miles ago. I wish I'd had time to change it at that point.

Anyway, If anyone has any information, I'm all ears. :)

·
Registered
93 Posts
Found some info. I need to do another quick drive to be sure of when I hear the noise, but this looks like the possible worn clutch pack #3 is all the way at the other end from the torque convertor. (The smallest one)
The C3 and B2 solenoids are common in the chart below for Reverse and 3rd. Also 7th gear has them activated but I wasn't noticing noise there so C1 must be having an effect on that.

Very likely a full rebuild is in order. No MIL indications or anything so the PCM seems happy with all the sensors and solenoids. I'll bet I've just worn out the #3 clutch pack and it's starting to scrape. Need to drain fluid to see what I get out.

Font Pattern Parallel Symmetry Circle

·
Registered
93 Posts
Oh, I totally forgot to mention this!:
My transmission has almost 100% of the time shifted smoothly for the 157,000 miles. It just now started shifting really rough around 3rd gear when decelerating and sometimes accelerating. That makes me think the clutch pack is starting to stick and then breaks free.

Also, I might be thinking of this all backwards. It could be a different area that's not engaged in Reverse and 3rd that's making the noise. I'm a hands on kind of guy when it comes to understanding gears. :)

·
Read Only
0 Posts
Oh, I totally forgot to mention this!:
My transmission has almost 100% of the time shifted smoothly for the 157,000 miles. It just now started shifting really rough around 3rd gear when decelerating and sometimes accelerating. That makes me think the clutch pack is starting to stick and then breaks free.

Also, I might be thinking of this all backwards. It could be a different area that's not engaged in Reverse and 3rd that's making the noise. I'm a hands on kind of guy when it comes to understanding gears. :)
Funny thing about this… My 5th Gen Accord started slipping around the same mileage. Not sure if you mentioned this already, but what were your trans drain/ fill intervals?

·
Registered
93 Posts
Looks like the first was 51,557
then 81,634
then 116,372
then the one that's due now. (Roughly 154,xxx)

Many, many years ago I was told by a GM employee that in the 80's they were building their automatic transmissions to last to about 150K. It wouldn't surprise me if that was a common goal among manufacturers.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Local Honda dealer says they don't work on the transmissions and cant get parts for them other than the top filter behind the fluid warmer. They replace the entire unit for about 8K. I've got some other options to look into before I do that.

I got some new ATF2.0 fluid while I was there and I've drained the old stuff out. Not an abnormal amount of metal on the drain plug as far as I can tell. There were a few non-metallic tiny pieces in there though. (Most likely from the aluminum case where hard shifting might have caused some pieces to be dislodged. We are talking about maybe up to 10 pieces up to the size of salt from a grinder)

I'm thinking of draining the coolant to remove the oil heater and trying to get behind the valve body with the transmission in the car. That might give me an idea of what to do next and allow me to check the upper filter and fluid screens, etc.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.