2018 Honda Accord Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just closed on a leftover 2019 EX-L Hybrid. Machine gray with black interior.

I was going back and forth on Hybrid vs gas. Was close on getting the Mazda6, which by the way is a great car and too often overlooked. I have a 2 hour commute (each way) that I do 3X per week and wanted something comfortable. I found the Mazda a great drivers car, but felt a bit claustrophobic. Plus the seats don’t have the adjustability and comfort as the Accord.. I pick up the beast on Thursday.

I now have 3 Hondas and a Mazda CX-5...

·
Registered
71 Posts
I find the seats in our 2018 Touring to be uncomfortable after about 1 hour driving. I had to get a memory foam cushion for my back. They also could use some lower thigh support by extending the bottom cushion a couple inches. I am 5'11". Other than that it is a great commuter specially with low speed adaptive cruise control when traffic backs up.

·
Registered
23 Posts
If you bought the Hybrid you will most likely not be very satisfied with the gas millage (if you only drive it short distances, like a mile or two at a time). Just be aware of the fact that EVERYTHING is based on all systems being "warm", warmed up to the appropriate operating temperature before everything works at peak performance. That shook me when I first got mine. I drive around town most of the time, not going very far each trip (ie. grocery store and post office) then back home... the car NEVER gets up to operating temp on those short trips. Understand that the battery is included in the operating temp. that I mentioned... remember to not block the little vents under the front of the back seat... those batteries are "heated" and "cooled" by the cabin air... so if you never use the heater in the winter the bat.s never get up to prime operation temperature. Same thing for the summer months, air-conditioning must be on to keep them cool enough to be efficient.
I found that if I drive for about 10 to 15 miles then stop the car (to do a little shopping for about 10 min.) the computer read out will not have shown much more than 30 mpg. But when I get back into the car and continue my trip for 20 or 30 more miles (or even back home for 15 miles) the car will be at operating temp. and produce great mpg. I have actually seen as high as 62 mpg on those trips, after everything warms up. All of the little trips figure into the "tank mpg" and increase or decrease the overall read out.
Also the season of the year will affect the mpg... mostly because of the ambient temperature outside. For example in the winter I get the lowest mpg, spring and fall are the absolute best.
Of course if you always drive a min. of 15 miles or a little more you will not experience what I have... I just wanted you to be aware and not be shocked as I was.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
after 230 miles I’m averaging 46mpg. Econ mode, 70% highway 40 degree temps, moderately hilly terrain for half the trip, heat on 65, etc.

I drive in the NYC area. This is my commuter car mainly. Average speeds for my 2 hour commute (each way) are well under 60 mph...

We’ll see how it goes over the coming months and year!

If you bought the Hybrid you will most likely not be very satisfied with the gas millage (if you only drive it short distances, like a mile or two at a time). Just be aware of the fact that EVERYTHING is based on all systems being "warm", warmed up to the appropriate operating temperature before everything works at peak performance. That shook me when I first got mine. I drive around town most of the time, not going very far each trip (ie. grocery store and post office) then back home... the car NEVER gets up to operating temp on those short trips. Understand that the battery is included in the operating temp. that I mentioned... remember to not block the little vents under the front of the back seat... those batteries are "heated" and "cooled" by the cabin air... so if you never use the heater in the winter the bat.s never get up to prime operation temperature. Same thing for the summer months, air-conditioning must be on to keep them cool enough to be efficient.
I found that if I drive for about 10 to 15 miles then stop the car (to do a little shopping for about 10 min.) the computer read out will not have shown much more than 30 mpg. But when I get back into the car and continue my trip for 20 or 30 more miles (or even back home for 15 miles) the car will be at operating temp. and produce great mpg. I have actually seen as high as 62 mpg on those trips, after everything warms up. All of the little trips figure into the "tank mpg" and increase or decrease the overall read out.
Also the season of the year will affect the mpg... mostly because of the ambient temperature outside. For example in the winter I get the lowest mpg, spring and fall are the absolute best.
Of course if you always drive a min. of 15 miles or a little more you will not experience what I have... I just wanted you to be aware and not be shocked as I was.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts