2018 Honda Accord Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any recommendation on the Accord 2.0 sport performance tires?
My stock tires are the Michelin Primacy mxm4 19" 235/40r19, they're doing OK on regular driving but I wanted something that has more grid and I love to drive on some twisties.
Budgets is around $1000, it never snows on where I live.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Reactions: Jacksun

·
Registered
35 Posts
No. 235=787 rev per mile; 245=778 rpm. Difference is negligible @ 1.15%.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Based on your suggestion it sounds like they would fit on the stock wheels and the extra 10 mm in width and 4 mm in height won't matter too much? The rev per mile that you're looking at is mainly for the speedometer?
If that's the case, I would take these all day long:

I've had Pilot Sport A/S + tires on my previous cars and never regretted it. Sure it's rated at a speed that I'll never reach, but they handle so confidently in every situation I've ever had. I can't say the same for other tires... including the OEM Michelins.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Michelins are $33 more per tire, aren't as good in snow, and if you read the reviews, tend to get very noisy as they wear. Read reviews for both tires and make up your own mind.

·
Registered
2019 Accord Sport 1.5T
73 Posts
Do search on Tire Rack for Ultra High Performance Summer Tires in 245/40/R19 then read the user feedback for all those that fit your budget.

It's really hard to get a bad tire in that category/price range.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Michelins are $33 more per tire, aren't as good in snow, and if you read the reviews, tend to get very noisy as they wear. Read reviews for both tires and make up your own mind.
I'm not worried about snow as much, it rarely snows a significant amount here. And if it does, we have another vehicle we'd be using in the snow. I'm more concerned with wet and dry traction. As far as the noise is concerned I've not really noticed the noise in my previous cars, but maybe I've not kept them long enough? I've never had continental tires so I can't really compare the two.

·
Registered
969 Posts
If you want ultimate grip and performance go with the Michelin Pilot Super Sports in the 235/35. Then next best option are the Conti extremecontact. I had stopped running the PSS when they tried replacing them with the 4S and raised the prices on both, but they grip like snot even in the wet. None of the tires mentioned are for the snow and if you live in an area that does snow you should be using the appropriate tires.

·
Registered
2019 Accord Sport 1.5T
73 Posts
. None of the tires mentioned are for the snow and if you live in an area that does snow you should be using the appropriate tires.
Agreed. I've had a set of winter tires for my Fit for the last six or seven years and all seasons don't even come close. I drive 30 miles of rural roads each way to and from work and I leave from home early enough that most times the plows haven't got to the westbound lane. I've driven the Fit in over 4 inches of fresh snow at 35 - 45 mph in complete control.

I can tell someone who's never driven on quality snow tires because they say that their all seasons are just as good.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I'm no expert, but I've been driving in mixed conditions for 20+ years. We live an area that I may have to do a little bit of driving in mostly light snow each year and our summers can be roughly 90+ degrees. I don't have the room to properly store summer / winter tires during the opposite months. The Performance All Season tires seem like a good compromise to give me a decent driving experience throughout the year. Of course, if you're driving to the point where you need the extra performance you probably want summer tires (and a track to drive on :) ). And of course, if you're in an area where it's common to have inches of snow multiple times a year, snow tires certainly seem worth it, if you can store them during the summer. If it never snows in your area that's somewhat nice for this purpose but I think you still have to at least consider a minimum temperature for the summer tires.

When it's finally time to replace my OEM tires (hopefully I'll get another 3-4 years at least), all I know is that I won't go for the energy efficient tires again. I think the fuel savings is minimal at the more significant cost of grip. Right now, these are my three candidates in no particular order:
  • 245/40/19 Continental DWS06
  • PILOT SPORT A/S 3+ (W- OR Y-SPEED RATED) - SIZE: 245/40ZR19
  • EAGLE EXHILARATE - SIZE: 235/40R19
The eagles seem to have the advantage of being the same size as the OEM tires. If the size difference of the other two are negligible then my decision is tougher. I really do like Michelin tires, they're made in the USA and I've never had a problem with them. I've read in the past that they tend to perform better towards the end of their life than others. However, to that last point, I can't seem to find anything saying that now.

·
Registered
969 Posts
I'm no expert, but I've been driving in mixed conditions for 20+ years. We live an area that I may have to do a little bit of driving in mostly light snow each year and our summers can be roughly 90+ degrees. I don't have the room to properly store summer / winter tires during the opposite months. The Performance All Season tires seem like a good compromise to give me a decent driving experience throughout the year. Of course, if you're driving to the point where you need the extra performance you probably want summer tires (and a track to drive on :) ). And of course, if you're in an area where it's common to have inches of snow multiple times a year, snow tires certainly seem worth it, if you can store them during the summer. If it never snows in your area that's somewhat nice for this purpose but I think you still have to at least consider a minimum temperature for the summer tires.

When it's finally time to replace my OEM tires (hopefully I'll get another 3-4 years at least), all I know is that I won't go for the energy efficient tires again. I think the fuel savings is minimal at the more significant cost of grip. Right now, these are my three candidates in no particular order:
  • 245/40/19 Continental DWS06
  • PILOT SPORT A/S 3+ (W- OR Y-SPEED RATED) - SIZE: 245/40ZR19
  • EAGLE EXHILARATE - SIZE: 235/40R19
The eagles seem to have the advantage of being the same size as the OEM tires. If the size difference of the other two are negligible then my decision is tougher. I really do like Michelin tires, they're made in the USA and I've never had a problem with them. I've read in the past that they tend to perform better towards the end of their life than others. However, to that last point, I can't seem to find anything saying that now.
Not trying to be rude here but unfortunately herein lies the problem, people in this country feel it is their right to drive their vehicles whenever and wherever, not a privilege. If your in an area where it snows regularly, even lightly, you should have snow tires. How is it fair to other drivers that you can't be bothered to properly outfit your one and a half ton piece of machinery and endanger everyone else on the road? Rent a small storage space for a couple months, rent some garage space from a friend or co worker, ect. This is what people do in places where they are mandatory. When temps get cold enough where snow is sticking regularly, you need winter tires. Even without snow on the ground the compound can get too hard to grip properly in lower temps like that, and ice can form without snow. I lived in Oregon for a year so I can tell you first hand about this.
I like the Conti DWS06 I was looking at tires last night and will probably go with them. Their weight in the 17s are the same as the stock energy savers which I too will not be replacing. They ride nice and handle pretty well but don't have enough grip for the instant torque of the hybrid and can already tell they will start getting bald spots because of this.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Not trying to be rude here but unfortunately herein lies the problem, people in this country feel it is their right to drive their vehicles whenever and wherever, not a privilege. If your in an area where it snows regularly, even lightly, you should have snow tires. How is it fair to other drivers that you can't be bothered to properly outfit your one and a half ton piece of machinery and endanger everyone else on the road? Rent a small storage space for a couple months, rent some garage space from a friend or co worker, ect. This is what people do in places where they are mandatory. When temps get cold enough where snow is sticking regularly, you need winter tires. Even without snow on the ground the compound can get too hard to grip properly in lower temps like that, and ice can form without snow. I lived in Oregon for a year so I can tell you first hand about this.
I can understand where you're coming from but if you are able to get a decent experience in the snow with all season tires that are really just meant to get you home this should be acceptable. The tires that I'm considering are all getting 8+ on snow on tire rack. It's not like I'm saying a tire that's getting a rating of 5 or less for snow is fine. Not everyone can afford two sets of tires, the storage, or the time/money to change their tires every season. It's better to have something that will get you home than have a summer tire that you forgot or couldn't afford to change trying to get you home. I'm not advocating that I'm routinely driving in the snow with all seasons and that's the point. It snows here maybe twice a year, and most of the time it's flurries. I think All seasons can handle flurries just fine in terms of getting you home. The point is that when it snows, you go home and stay there, it's not just about the tires... it's about responsibility to be off the roads in conditions that are more risky than normal.

·
Registered
969 Posts
I can understand where you're coming from but if you are able to get a decent experience in the snow with all season tires that are really just meant to get you home this should be acceptable. The tires that I'm considering are all getting 8+ on snow on tire rack. It's not like I'm saying a tire that's getting a rating of 5 or less for snow is fine. Not everyone can afford two sets of tires, the storage, or the time/money to change their tires every season. It's better to have something that will get you home than have a summer tire that you forgot or couldn't afford to change trying to get you home. I'm not advocating that I'm routinely driving in the snow with all seasons and that's the point. It snows here maybe twice a year, and most of the time it's flurries. I think All seasons can handle flurries just fine in terms of getting you home. The point is that when it snows, you go home and stay there, it's not just about the tires... it's about responsibility to be off the roads in conditions that are more risky than normal.
Flurries like that and not sticking to the ground you don't need snow tires yes. I'm talking about anywhere that snow sticks and stays. It has snowed here past couple years but it does not really stick.
The part about not everyone being able to afford them is exactly my point. Everyone SHOULD take their responsibility to make sure their vehicle is safe properly as you do. If someone can't afford to safely operate their vehicle, they should not be driving it and endangering other people in the process. If that means you don't drive three to four month of the year, so be it. But most American drivers don't think like this. In this scenario a set of winter tires should last someone quite a few years, so it's not like you are purchasing them every year, and small storage space is fairly inexpensive, so an extra couple hundred a year for the space and tire swap is not that much. It's obvious you know your area and have researched tires, most don't.

·
Registered
2019 Accord Sport 1.5T
73 Posts
I live in Ohio. It snows here. Some winters more than others, but it does snow. Hardly anyone uses snow tires around here. I am one of the few and no one I personally know does.

People with all season tires in snow are either a danger or a hindrance to others. They are dangerous because they drive like morons (particularly those with awd or 4wd vehicles) on tires that have barely adequate grip to cope with the conditions. Or they are a hindrance because they drive extremely slow to maintain control, getting in the way of people with properly equipped cars.

The arguments against snow tires are weak. In no particular order
  • All seasons are as good as winter tires.
    • This one is straight up BS. It's just not true and anyone who claims that is either stupid, lying, or speaking from ignorance.
  • I don't have room to store them
    • A 235/40R19 tire is less than two feet across and about 9" wide. You mean to tell me that you can't find a clear spot on your garage floor that's 24-26 inches in diameter and 3 feet tall to stack four tires? And if you can't, throw some crap that you never use out and make the room
  • They're too expensive
    • Not compared to the damage to your car and your insurance premium when you wreck because you lost traction.
    • I buy my snow tires pre-mounted on a set of rims. I pick the least expensive rim that will fit the car and the tire. The rims are a once in a lifetime expense.
    • Snow tires get used four months in most of the country where it snows. A set of snow tires will last you easily four to six YEARS before they're worn beyond fitness.
  • I don't have time to change them
    • If you have a floor jack and a pair of jackstands, you can change from summer to winter tires in 2 hours or less on a Saturday or Sunday afternoon. **** I've even done it right after work when it couldn't wait.
    • If you don't have those tools, or maybe you don't feel like it one year, it will cost less than $50 for a local jiffy lube to throw them on your car.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.