2018 Honda Accord Forum banner

2020 Accord Hybrid - won't start, how to put it in neutral?

17K views 12 replies 6 participants last post by  Vegashybrid 
#1 ·
The vehicle can't be started. That is besides the point right now. I really need to know how it can be put into neutral while having no power to it? Help!

#5 ·
It isn’t a battery issue. The battery is good. The vehicle had water damage and is suspected to be stuck in a gear. But it can’t be investigated any further because it won’t start….it’s like it glitched and is stuck. It’s hard to believe there is no way to manually override this.

#3 · (Edited)
The non-hybrid versions with the electronic gear shift selector there’s a pin/shaft on the side of the transmission that needs to be turned to manually take it out of park. I haven’t looked on my hybrid to see if that same shaft is there, but it is on the conventional ICE models. (EDIT: just went and glanced, and if it’s there its somewhere else because it does not show like it does in this video) Should be the same on pretty much all of the honda electronic gear shifts. I know the odyssey and pilot have the same.

Honda makes a specific tool for turning that shaft, and locking it into the neutral position. Otherwise it will spring back to the park position. So you could have someone turn it with pliers, but they’d need to hold it for you. I’ve seen the tools go for as little as $75, but apparently after these question started being asked on forums several years ago there was a run on the parts, and the tool now sells for $150-200 from dealerships. Probably available cheaper elsewhere. Tool p/n is 07AAA-TZ3A100

#4 ·
The non-hybrid versions with the electronic gear shift selector there’s a pin/shaft on the side of the transmission that needs to be turned to manually take it out of park. I haven’t looked on my hybrid to see if that same shaft is there, but it is on the conventional ICE models. (EDIT: just went and glanced, and if it’s there its somewhere else because it does not show like it does in this video) Should be the same on pretty much all of the honda electronic gear shifts. I know the odyssey and pilot have the same.

Honda makes a specific tool for turning that shaft, and locking it into the neutral position. Otherwise it will spring back to the park position. So you could have someone turn it with pliers, but they’d need to hold it for you. I’ve seen the tools go for as little as $75, but apparently after these question started being asked on forums several years ago there was a run on the parts, and the tool now sells for $150-200 from dealerships. Probably available cheaper elsewhere. Tool p/n is 07AAA-TZ3A100

Thank you for the response. I found that video and also tried those options. Neither of those options are available on the hybrid model. At this point, it looks like there is no option to get it into neutral. But how is that possible? There has to be a way.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.