2018 Honda Accord Forum banner

2020 Honda Accord 1.5T Sport modifications

42K views 24 replies 14 participants last post by  xninjareckless 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
So I'm new to the JDM car modification world. But I know cosmetics are one thing but I'm trying to look into performance upgrades. So far I'm looking into a Takeda or AEM CAI and Mishimoto or PRL intercooler. However, I'm trying to see if there are performance upgrades aside from that such as coil plugs, spark plugs, e85 conversion kits, suspension (no stance nation for me) and if a Type R turbo upgrade would work for my car. I'm not trying to mess with the exhaust, so all the input I can get is appreciated.

#2 ·
Is your Accord a 6mt or CVT?

Intake = sound; HF drop in filter = performance

I don’t believe a CTR turbo will work on a 1.5t- and if it did, I’m not so sure that the powerband would be so great- this is a 1.5 not a 2.0....however, there are some turbo upgrades for 1.5t although if your CVT (like me) that may not be the best idea..

#6 ·
Here's my 2 cents..
I have a 1.5 CVT and my cheap upgrades are going to be an economical cold air intake such as this one: AF DYNAMIC COLD AIR INTAKE Fits 18-19 HONDA ACCORD 2.0L 2.0 L4 4CYL TURBOCHARGED | eBay
I know the listing above is for a 2.0 but I've been in contact with the seller and a 1.5 version is on the way. This would be about 8hp and should work well with this upgrade: JB4 for Honda 1.5 / 2.0L Turbo
That upgrade would give a 33hp increase. Both of these will cost you about $550 total and are very simple bolt-ons that can easily be removed if the car needs to go in the shop for warranty related repairs. So approximately 40hp for $550 and these hp numbers are at the wheel. I've spoke to both manufacturers and have seen the Dyno-graphs.

Enjoy!

#10 ·
Air intake arguments aside the best bang for the buck is likely going to be a Hondata or K-Tuner. That would also be an almost required thing anyway to accompany intake/exhaust modifications as those would likely just confuse the stock ECU and it would likely cut performance.

There is plenty of other threads out there on the internet that would discuss the pro's/con's to a short ram (like the one linked above) vs. a cold-air intake. But still, all moot points if you don't have something on hand to tune the car.

My curiosity is where the weak-points of the CVT are. There must be a reason Honda has a different trans in the auto 2.0T's and my guess is that it's not able to handle higher HP. I don't think that simple bolt-on's and a tune will get the 1.5 up to the 2.0 #'s but, CVT could still give out along the way.

#11 · (Edited)
My curiosity is where the weak-points of the CVT are. There must be a reason Honda has a different trans in the auto 2.0T's and my guess is that it's not able to handle higher HP. I don't think that simple bolt-on's and a tune will get the 1.5 up to the 2.0 #'s but, CVT could still give out along the way.
We should have some guys chime in that have tuned their 1.5Ts. I was doing some Googling and found this thread on the 10th Gen Civic forum. Hondata R&D finds limit of Civic CVT Looks like KTuner didn't say exactly what the limit is for the CVT (or if the Accord and Civic use the same CVT) but the engine will make more power than the transmission can handle.

Here's my 2 cents..
I have a 1.5 CVT and my cheap upgrades are going to be an economical cold air intake such as this one: AF DYNAMIC COLD AIR INTAKE Fits 18-19 HONDA ACCORD 2.0L 2.0 L4 4CYL TURBOCHARGED | eBay
I know the listing above is for a 2.0 but I've been in contact with the seller and a 1.5 version is on the way. This would be about 8hp and should work well with this upgrade: JB4 for Honda 1.5 / 2.0L Turbo
That upgrade would give a 33hp increase. Both of these will cost you about $550 total and are very simple bolt-ons that can easily be removed if the car needs to go in the shop for warranty related repairs. So approximately 40hp for $550 and these hp numbers are at the wheel. I've spoke to both manufacturers and have seen the Dyno-graphs.

Enjoy!
Also, I can't remember where I saw it (here or on Reddit) but some user tuned* his car, removed the tune to take the car in for some warranty work, and the dealer was able to tell that the ECU had been programed. So just a heads up to those that use a tune, that you might not be able to hide that from Honda if you run into warranty issues.

#17 ·
4 car lengths sounds a bit generous even if they weren't running sport. I think your not even pushing 250hp and that's at the crank. A stock 2.0 is running 252 and while your tunning has given you the upper hand something doesn't sound right. I'm on hondata stage 2 and I can't keep my front tires stuck to the road and I am running a 265 now on 20s. Anyway I'll toot my horn but you wouldn't hear it because I would be 4 car lengths in front of you..haha

#19 ·
After finding out that one of the YouTubers I follow blew out his transmission. I would like to know if a Takeda cold air intake, mishimoto intercooler, HKS bov, and Borla S Type Catback would be good enough to be considered safe or would I later find Cvt issues down the road? Also would I need to get a tune if I go with those upgrades?

#20 ·
I'm guessing you are talking about BoostedWhipz. CVT's are built for economy and low cost. They are not built for performance.

Feel bad for him though. Nice looking car. He knew the risk though and doesn't blame Honda.

#25 ·
I love the 1.5t and I have it tuned but it’s time to get real do you thing think I should remove the tune because I don’t wanna mess up my tranny I’ve broken it once and I don’t really wanna do it again although I have been driving it with more care no neutral dumping just a regular drive thing is I also have a downpipe and cold air intake system installed let me know what you guys think

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.