2018 Honda Accord Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

· Administrator
2,877 Posts
Do I dare ask what the preferred brand of 0w-20 is? 😂
You'll get as many different "preferred brands" as there are members here. 😁

Many will have a brand they have used for years and been satisfied with and will use nothing else... does that make it better than the next person that has used/been satisfied with another brand...probably not. As long as your preference meets the recommended weight/viscosity and contains the recommended rating specified by Honda you will be good. I don't service my vehicles any longer and currently taking it back to dealer for service (will find an independent once all warranties expire). Since I do have it done at the dealer they are using Honda full synthetic oil.

Attachments

· Administrator
2,877 Posts
5L costs $33, filter $10, crush washer $0.05.
My dealer cost for full synthetic oil change is $49.95 which I think is a bargain as it keeps my old arthritic @$$ from having to crawl underneath the car to change it.😂🤣

· Registered
2018 Accord Sport 2.0T 6MT
560 Posts
Do I dare ask what the preferred brand of 0w-20 is? 😂
Oh, we don't all just get Amazon Basics delivered in 2 hours now? lol On a serious note I've never had a bad experience with Mobil or Valvoline. I just got mine done at the dealer recently because they were doing a recall on my fuel pump so it was convenient. Other than that I'll almost always go Mobil1 for oil and filter.

· Registered
156 Posts
My dealer cost for full synthetic oil change is $49.95 which I think is a bargain as it keeps my old arthritic @$$ from having to crawl underneath the car to change it.😂🤣
Hahaha! I'm still agile enough to crawl under the car so I'm ok with the changes. And I also don't want the dealer touching my car, I have trust issues 😂

· Administrator
2,877 Posts
And I also don't want the dealer touching my car, I have trust issues 😂
I understand that. When I purchased my car I told salesman I was anal about my cars and wanted the best person @ dealership to put all the accessories on that I added at time of purchase. Salesman hooked me up and that tech is the only one that works on my car... I have established a relationship with the tech and he takes care of me. I had a warranty issue that needed to be taken care of and just stopped by the dealership w/o an appointment to see if that tech could do it that day and he told service writer he was to dirty/greasy to work on my car that day. I told service writer no problem I appreciate his honesty and knowing how I am about my car.

· Registered
156 Posts
I understand that. When I purchased my car I told salesman I was anal about my cars and wanted the best person @ dealership to put all the accessories on that I added at time of purchase. Salesman hooked me up and that tech is the only one that works on my car... I have established a relationship with the tech and he takes care of me. I had a warranty issue that needed to be taken care of and just stopped by the dealership w/o an appointment to see if that tech could do it that day and he told service writer he was to dirty/greasy to work on my car that day. I told service writer no problem I appreciate his honesty and knowing how I am about my car.
That's awesome you are able to build that relationship with the tech. It's priceless to have that kind of piece of mind. I cringe everytime I see a tech leave keys on top of vehicles and scuff door panels with their shoe! That's just getting in and out of the car, imagine them working on it hahahah

· Administrator
2,877 Posts
I cringe everytime I see a tech leave keys on top of vehicles and scuff door panels with their shoe! That's just getting in and out of the car, imagine them working on it hahahah
I definitely know what you're talking about.... when I see stuff like that it makes me think it's a direct reflection on their mechanical work/skills.

· Registered
62 Posts
I only get my oil changes done at the dealer. Companies are too picky, these days about what type of oil is put into their engines. You could use something thats clearly superior to what they recommend, but its not what they "recommend" and they deny your warranty claim. I only let one tech change my oil, and thats because the dealer I take it to, has a huge glass window, where you can see your car on the lube rack, and when I watched my tech change the drain plug washer, and set the torque wrench to torque my drain plug to spec, I knew he was the right tech for me. Plus, they top off all fluids, washer, etc, rotate the tires, correctly, torque the wheel bolts, and load test my battery. They also have a free touchless laser wash, if you purchased your car, there.

· Administrator
2,877 Posts
Companies are too picky, these days about what type of oil is put into their engines. You could use something thats clearly superior to what they recommend, but its not what they "recommend" and they deny your warranty claim. I only let one tech change my oil, and thats because the dealer I take it to, has a huge glass window, where you can see your car on the lube rack, and when I watched my tech change the drain plug washer, and set the torque wrench to torque my drain plug to spec, I knew he was the right tech for me. Plus, they top off all fluids, washer, etc, rotate the tires, correctly, torque the wheel bolts, and load test my battery.
I agree companies have become real picky lately and will look for any reason to deny a/some warranty claims. However as long as the product you use meets/exceeds their recommended specifications owners are protected under the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act. If a company were to require you to only use a specific brand (their own) then they would have to provide it to you free to legally deny a claim of owner using another brand that meets their brand specs.

Wish more dealerships/shops would have glass window so owners could watch the tech work on their cars... it would build more trust between techs and vehicle owner's. The fact that an owner can watch and see what is being done to his car puts the tech on notice to do the job correctly. Being able to have the same tech work on your car is definitely a benefit to make the owner want to return to that dealership/shop. As I explained it to service writer the first time I had my car serviced (this was after I had already established relationship w/tech from accessory installs @ purchase) when I go to doctor I only want to see the same doctor each time and I wanted the same for my car. This way the tech gets to know me, how I take care of my car, and I get to know them and how they treat/work on my car. Like your dealership my fluids get topped off, tires rotated, & load test battery each visit... don't get a free car wash (they don't have a laser wash and I prefer to hand wash it myself) but do get free annual state safety inspections since I purchased car from this dealership.

· Registered
62 Posts
That works, as well. I just like to leave the whole process in their hands. Lawyering up is too complicated. If they can just do what I paid them for, ultimately, they perform all of the maintenance, they have no excuses. Most of the dealers in my area have simple lube techs, that they pay next to nothing to perform the simple oil change tasks. The actual tech that do the real work, paid different, and the dealer wont have someone that makes $35 an hour, or more, doing oil changes. And the tech wont waste their time, when they could be doing a fuel pump recall, or a transmission change. There is no money in it for them. So, I have to have a tech and a lube guy.

· Administrator
2,877 Posts
I just like to leave the whole process in their hands. Lawyering up is too complicated. If they can just do what I paid them for, ultimately, they perform all of the maintenance, they have no excuses.
Agree w/you 1000%... unless it's a simple bolt on I don't want to bother w/it (and sometimes I don't want to bother with them 😁). Busted knuckles enough as a young lad keeping car's on the road it's not fun anymore. However as it pertains to the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act the knowledge of it can help in cutting thru the BS some dealership's and/or their employees my try to feed the uninformed.

Some dealership's will sell/install performance parts (IE: Hondata/KTuners) and tell owner that there "warranty will be intact, don't worry, we'll take care of you if issues come up". That may be fine and dandy if an issue arises and you take it back to that dealership and they take care of the issue... but... if the issue was caused/created by that high performance part and they turned it into Honda as a warranty repair they are putting their franchise in jeopardy. If that same car were to have issues on the road, went to the closest dealership, and it was found that the high performance part was installed and the basis for the issue their car is flagged in Honda's system and their warranty is gone.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.