2018 Honda Accord Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I didnt get through the entire owners manual.

First Id like to see how common this knowledge is ..

Hypothetically speaking.
my 2.0t 10 speed auto wont start. I need a tow.
The electronic shifter works only if the car is started.
The "little door" solution only works on the cvt.
So the question is .. I already know the answer ..

how do I get the car into neutral so that it can be pulled onto a flatbed ?

·
Administrator
2,865 Posts
My thought is the person driving the flatbed will jack the car up and put wheel dolly's under wheels so the car can be pulled onto flatbed.

·
Registered
2019 2.0 EXL
550 Posts

·
Administrator
2,865 Posts
I remember reading about this awhile ago. Pretty sure there is a way to manually disengage the linkage and put the vehicle into neutral by turning something on the transmission itself.
Nice information to know... however if for some reason I'm at the point or place where the car needs to be towed I'd probably have it put on wheel dolly's to roll it on flatbed. Along with that it takes a special tool to keep car in neutral which as @icspots stated cost has gone up... currently MSRP's at $294.87 but discounted at HondaPartsNow 07AAA-TZ3A100 for $208.77 (unavailable at this time though).
Honda makes a specific tool for turning that shaft, and locking it into the neutral position. Otherwise it will spring back to the park position. So you could have someone turn it with pliers, but they’d need to hold it for you. I’ve seen the tools go for as little as $75, but apparently after these question started being asked on forums several years ago there was a run on the parts, and the tool now sells for $150-200 from dealerships. Probably available cheaper elsewhere. Tool p/n is 07AAA-TZ3A100
Once it gets to dealer/shop then the tech there will (should know how) disengage the transmission with the proper tool to push the car into shop.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Nice information to know... however if for some reason I'm at the point or place where the car needs to be towed I'd probably have it put on wheel dolly's to roll it on flatbed. Along with that it takes a special tool to keep car in neutral which as @icspots stated cost has gone up... currently MSRP's at $294.87 but discounted at HondaPartsNow 07AAA-TZ3A100 for $208.77 (unavailable at this time though).

Once it gets to dealer/shop then the tech there will (should know how) disengage the transmission with the proper tool to push the car into shop.

I think in some cases this might be questionable. I saw this video as I tried to learn about the car.

I called the salesman to ask how to put it in neutral if no start condition. He did not know and said he would call me back after talking to his tech.

He did call me back but with the cvt fix. I then shared the video. The salesman said "you taught us something, ill share with other salesman and all the techs"

This is why inpostee here and on other forums to see if this is common knowledge. Finding/found that its not commonly known.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Seems like such a chore to just get it into neutral if the car died. You’d be surprised at how many tow truck drivers don’t have the proper tools on thier trucks . Most likely they will just drag it on the flatbed .

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.