2018 Honda Accord Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone,

Just bought a white '21 Accord 2.0T. I'm coming from a 2013 Civic SI. All my previous cars have been standard. It's taking me longer than I expected to get used to the push button gear selector. I find myself always having to look down to get into Park, Reverse, Drive but especially Sport. Anyone else have this issue? Do you get used to it over time?

I really wish we could map the sport button to something else in the steering wheel column.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Just like everything you’ll eventually get used to it. It’s sort of like teaching yourself to type on a keyboard in a different language format to what you currently know (or like that summer I switched my laptop to Dvorak just for shits and giggles). Look at it, touch all of the buttons, feel the differences……. They very specifically shaped the buttons differently with varying shapes/bezels to them so you can differentiate by touch. Then when you reach out to change something consciously think about where things are. Do that every time and it will become intuitive.

I can reliably reach down while driving and toggle sport mode without looking, then reach down and switch it back to Econ. Basically use it when I know I’m about to accelerate a bunch (merging, etc). I also thought it would be super convenient to be able to have that on the steering wheel. There’s.. two unused buttons on the right side in my EX, though one of them is for the HUD option on the Touring model. Downside is then the button wouldn’t always be in the same place while the wheel is turning.

·
Registered
2019 2.0 EXL
549 Posts
Off the top of my head, I can't think of a time where I would need to switch modes mid-corner?

Regarding button shift, I'm used to it and can operate everything without looking no problem (I've dabbled in a handful of musical instruments over the years, including piano). IMO, the layout isn't efficient or ergonomic and it's not as intuitive or effective or precise/fast as a shift lever.

·
Registered
Lunar Silver 2019 Honda Accord Sport 2.0T 10AT
341 Posts
Off the top of my head, I can't think of a time where I would need to switch modes mid-corner?

Regarding button shift, I'm used to it and can operate everything without looking no problem (I've dabbled in a handful of musical instruments over the years, including piano). IMO, the layout isn't efficient or ergonomic and it's not as intuitive or effective or precise/fast as a shift lever.
Just a quick FYI, you can’t switch into or out of sport mode while turning. It’s a safety lock out. Just thought I’d share 😀

Reactions: icspots and Samuelx

·
Registered
Lunar Silver 2019 Honda Accord Sport 2.0T 10AT
341 Posts
Also I got used to the buttons after a few months. I would prefer a lever style shifter but it doesn’t bother me anymore.

Reason why I didn’t get the manual is that it’s not as quick from get go and I planned to mod for speed also.

It also didn’t feel like a typical “ Honda manual gearbox” in my opinion. Throws were much longer than my previous Honda’s. Ive seen guys get them shifting better with Acuity goodies though.
I’ve owned S2k’s, a Type R, every generation Si from 5th gen and up, RSX Type S, 4 Accord 6-6’s and a 5th gen Prelude, The Current Accord manual kinda felt like a let down. Good news is you can fix it 👍

·
Registered
2018 Accord Sport 2.0T 6MT
560 Posts
It also didn’t feel like a typical “ Honda manual gearbox” in my opinion. Throws were much longer than my previous Honda’s. Ive seen guys get them shifting better with Acuity goodies though.
I’ve owned S2k’s, a Type R, every generation Si from 5th gen and up, RSX Type S, 4 Accord 6-6’s and a 5th gen Prelude, The Current Accord manual kinda felt like a let down. Good news is you can fix it 👍
It's hard to compare most manual shifters to the S2K shifter. The feel of my AP1 was unreal. I was going to go with some Acuity pieces as soon as I bought mine until I realized that the shift knob on mine (bought it used so very possibly wasn't in the factory position) sat a solid 1/2 inch or so from its lower possible position on the threads. I took it down as low as I could and just that adjustment changed the entire shift feel for me. I'd still like to eventually tighten it up with some of the Acuity stuff, but that helped. The 10AT shift buttons would take some time to adjust to though. It's just so different than anything I've ever been accustomed to driving. Beats the dial that Ford and Dodge use in some of their vehicles though!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Hi Everyone,

Just bought a white '21 Accord 2.0T. I'm coming from a 2013 Civic SI. All my previous cars have been standard. It's taking me longer than I expected to get used to the push button gear selector. I find myself always having to look down to get into Park, Reverse, Drive but especially Sport. Anyone else have this issue? Do you get used to it over time?

I really wish we could map the sport button to something else in the steering wheel column.
I have a 2018 Accord 2.0t exl .The buttons don't bother me at all. You will get used to them soon. You just have to be careful that you put the car in drive instead of reverse. I am dissapointed that Honda got rid of the EXL 2.0T. I have a lease right now and may have to purchase this car at the end of the lease because I don't want to spend the extra money leasing a touring model to get the 2.0t engine. and I like the EXL model and don't want the sport.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi Everyone,

I sell Honda’s for a dealership in Indiana. The gear shifter gets better over time. Once you have it for a while if it’s your daily driver you won’t even notice it. The new generation accord will follow up with the drive mode switch like the 2022 Civic instead of the buttons.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.