2018 Honda Accord Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It seems that the recirculate button is always active, when I turn it off it switches off the automatic function. With A/C on and I turn the temp to say 80 it still stays on. Is this normal?

·
Super Moderator
830 Posts
Mine does the same thing. If you think about it, it is taking the cool air tha has been sent inside the car recirculating it with cool(er) air to get/keep the car cool. I see that you are in Ga and I'm in Va I would think due to our warmer climate in the summer is the reason we are seeing the recirculate button stay on all the time. When the temps get milder i would think this may change.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I noticed this as well. I normally leave the environment control in the AUTO mode.

In my 2005 Accord and 2014 Pilot, the circulate function is off unless the interior of the car is very hot and needs a rapid cool down. When the temperature in the car has cooled, the recirculate function would turn off automatically.

In my 2018 Accord EX-L 2.0T, the circulate function seems to be always ON when the system is in AUTO mode. Pressing the recirc button to switch to fresh air seems to turn off AUTO mode. The manual doesn't really say much but on p.239 it says, If any buttons are pressed while using the climate control system in auto, the function of the button that was pressed will take priority. The AUTO indicator will go off, but functions unrelated to the button that was pressed will be controlled automatically.

I've experimented a little be nudging the temperature upward to create little or no demand for cooling: the re-circulation remains active.

I wonder why Honda changed this?

·
Registered
179 Posts
My recirculate button works as it should. It goes off once the interior of the car reaches my desired temperature in AUTO mode. In other words, it doesn't always stay on.

Its purpose is to quickly cool (or warm) the interior by keeping warm (or cold) outside air from entering the cabin until your desired temperature is reached. It only stays on as long as it's needed.

·
Super Moderator
830 Posts
It seems that the recirculate button is always active, when I turn it off it switches off the automatic function. With A/C on and I turn the temp to say 80 it still stays on. Is this normal?
Now that the weather is getting cooler is yours still staying on all the time? Mine is and I would think as the outside temps cool this wouldn't stay on all the time.

My recirculate button works as it should. It goes off once the interior of the car reaches my desired temperature in AUTO mode. In other words, it doesn't always stay on.

Its purpose is to quickly cool (or warm) the interior by keeping warm (or cold) outside air from entering the cabin until your desired temperature is reached. It only stays on as long as it's needed.
What temp setting do you have your system set at? I have mine set @ 75.

·
Super Moderator
830 Posts
Think I may have found out the reason for it being on recirculate so much. Found a thread in the "Drive Accord" forum that may explain - A/C Recirculation Mode (see reply #2). Also found the attachment below in the owner's manual that speaks of how being in the "Econ" mode affects/controls the climate control. I'm going to try turning the "Econ" mode off and see if this will make a difference.

Attachments

·
Registered
179 Posts
What temp setting do you have your system set at? I have mine set @ 75.
I keep mine set at 74° all year long. My recirculate feature operates as I describe earlier, i.e, to quickly cool down or warm up as necessary. It goes out when my desired temperature is reached inside the cabin (AUTO mode only w/windows and moonroof closed).

Note: If you manually turn on the recirculate feature it will never go off. It only goes on and off while in full AUTO mode.

·
Super Moderator
830 Posts
I keep mine set at 74° all year long. My recirculate feature operates as I describe earlier, i.e, to quickly cool down or warm up as necessary. It goes out when my desired temperature is reached inside the cabin (AUTO mode only w/windows and moonroof closed).

Note: If you manually turn on the recirculate feature it will never go off. It only goes on and off while in full AUTO mode.
I keep mine in Auto mode all the time too. Do you have the Econ on/off or do you keep it in Sport mode? From the thread I referenced in my previous post and what I saw in the manual it kinda makes sense why it is staying in recirculate as it's more efficient to recirculate the cool air versus cooling hot air from outside.

·
Registered
179 Posts
I keep mine in Auto mode all the time too. Do you have the Econ on/off or do you keep it in Sport mode? From the thread I referenced in my previous post and what I saw in the manual it kinda makes sense why it is staying in recirculate as it's more efficient to recirculate the cool air versus cooling hot air from outside.
My Climate Control settings: TEMP -- 74°, AUTO -- On, SYNC -- On, ECON -- Off, SPORT -- Off.

NOTE: In the summer, I open the windows for a short distance to let hot air out. This helps cool down the cabin faster. Hence, recirculation doesn't have to work as hard, and thus doesn't remain on as long. This tip is also mentioned in the User's Manual, page 239.

·
Super Moderator
830 Posts
My Climate Control settings: TEMP -- 74°, AUTO -- On, SYNC -- On, ECON -- Off, SPORT -- Off.

NOTE: In the summer, I open the windows for a short distance to let hot air out. This helps cool down the cabin faster. Hence, recirculation doesn't have to work as hard, and thus doesn't remain on as long. This tip is also mentioned in the User's Manual, page 239.
Ok, I think your setting of Econ off is verifying what I have discovered in my research.... w/that set to off then recirculate will not remain on as much (all the time). I have switched my Econ to off but it will be a few days before I will be back in it to confirm recirculate not staying on. Thanks for your help/tip.

·
Registered
80 Posts
This is interesting to read. I've driven 17,000+ miles since the first of July and have never seen recirculation off.
I have mine set to Auto, econ off, etc. but it has been hot and my temp is set to 69. I didn't think it ever turned off recirulation mode automatically.

·
Registered
179 Posts
This is interesting to read. I've driven 17,000+ miles since the first of July and have never seen recirculation off.
I have mine set to Auto, econ off, etc. but it has been hot and my temp is set to 69. I didn't think it ever turned off recirulation mode automatically.
Reference the my note in post #9 ... Do you drive the 1st few miles with the windows up or down? This will definitely make a difference, especially considering you're trying to get the cabin to 69°.

·
Registered
80 Posts
No I don't. But I also drive 100+ miles each way many days per week. I still don't ever see the recirculation light go out. 🙂

·
Registered
27 Posts
I've yet to see the recirculate turn off while I have the environmental system running in full auto somewhere in the 68 to 72 degree range.....Not once has it been "off"

·
Super Moderator
830 Posts
I'm happy to confirm that the recirculate did go off today in the ECON Off mode. It came on when I started out on my drive today (car had been sitting outside in the sunny driveway) but turned off after a few miles. Granted, today the highs weren't extreme as they have been but this is the first time I've seen it go out since owning the car and I picked it up in March so I have driven it in temps similar to today's high.

I would add in extreme heat I would believe it will go out quicker following @Keyboard post below...

BTW... my settings are the same as described in his post above w/the only variation is I have my temp set at 75°

·
Registered
1 Posts
Same thing with my wife’s new 2019 accord EXL. Recirc light never goes out. I assume it’s because of our gawd awful southern heat

·
Registered
31 Posts
Honda did this because its the best way to control the interior comfort level.
If you think about it with high outside temps it makes little sense to bring in warm outside air so Honda has programmed this to shut off outside air in warm temps.
Then when the outside air is cooler it automatically adjusts to bring in fresh outside air.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts