2018 Honda Accord Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi all,

One thing that I miss from all of the Dodge Chargers I had been driving the last couple of years was the Tire Pressure Monitoring System display that showed the pressure of each tire. When you drive a hundred plus miles between stops, it can be reassuring to check the display and see that all the tires are showing appropriate pressures for conditions.

To define the difference:
The 2018 Accord does not do this... It has a "passive" TPMS system that keeps track of tire revolutions of all 4 tires and then gives you a generic warning if one of them is different than the others, or maybe they are all too low, etc.
It's inaccurate and nearly worthless to me. Not only does in not tell you which tire it's complaining about, it has been wrong a handful of times in the last year. (All tires were fine as measured with my tire guage)
When an alert pops up, you have to stop the car and put the transmission in park to select the "Calibrate TPMS" option. (Thanks lawmakers for saving us all from hitting a few buttons while driving...)
It's not convenient to do on a highway or mountain road with nowhere to pull over.

I decided to try an Aftermarket kit from Amazon.
It's the U912 Tire Pressure Monitor System for Honda
(Mods, Feel free to delete this Amazon link if it's against the rules)
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B073P3MJ3M

They make them for a few foreign manufacturers and they are designed to fit in one of the switch blanks that many cars have. Just wire up power and install the sensors at each wheel. (Maybe a tiny bit of setup too.)

I bought the set that included external sensors that screw on the valve stems in place of the valve caps for testing. I don't think I'd recommend these for long term use. I can see the potential for leaks over time.

I will be returning that set and a new set with wheel sensors that go inside the tires is arriving tomorrow. They will have to be installed and tires re-balanced. I've got a small nail in one tire anyway so it works out. :)

I drove with it yesterday for nearly 400 miles and I really like it! All tires started the morning out at 35 PSI and after a few hours on the highway and through the mountains the front were at 41 PSI and the back were between 39 and 41. This display can also show temperatures of each sensor.

The appearance could be better. The display could fit more flush than it does. I will probably be making changes to it after I'm content that it works well. I'll try to recess it and maybe paint it to match better.

Perhaps some of you might like to try one of these too. I'll let you know if I run into any issues.

Attachments

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Got the entire internal sensor Kit from the same company and had the sensors installed last Saturday. The internal sensors seem to be slower to change pressure readings due to tires heating up. I think that's probably a good thing. There was a lot more stability in the readings today as I drove 235 miles. Started out at 33 PSI and eventually ended up at 38 PSI.

So far, this seems like a pretty good option except for the inability to dim the display. I might add a layer of window tint to the display and see if that helps. The display unit looks the same and acts the same as the first pictures in my post. You do have to match the sensors with the display it looks like. The different sets run on different frequencies or something along those lines.

Attachments

1 - 2 of 2 Posts