2018 Honda Accord Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My car is just over 10 months old and just went over 5k miles. Today it popped up the warning "Service A1 due soon." As I understand it, that is to change the oil but not the filter. That seems backward to me since oil doesn't wear out but just gets dirty. It seems more logical to change the filter every time and oil every other time than vice versa. Or change both together every time. Anyone else doing filter every time and oil every other time? IOW filter every 5k miles and oil every 10k miles?

·
Super Moderator
2,319 Posts
My car is just over 10 months old and just went over 5k miles. Today it popped up the warning "Service A1 due soon." As I understand it, that is to change the oil but not the filter. That seems backward to me since oil doesn't wear out but just gets dirty. It seems more logical to change the filter every time and oil every other time than vice versa. Or change both together every time. Anyone else doing filter every time and oil every other time? IOW filter every 5k miles and oil every 10k miles?
I'm doing both at the same time.... to me changing the oil and not the filter would be like taking a shower and putting back on sweaty gym clothes... defeating the purpose of the oil change w/out changing the filter IMO.

·
Premium Member
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I used to have a Chevrolet van for work. It called for 10k oil changes. That seemed a lot so I used to change the oil filter every 5k miles and oil every 10k as the manual instructed. I'm tempted to do the same with this one but will do both every time I'm sure.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Change both at the same time every 5k mi.

Also that's what the Honda dealers do. They don't do one or the other.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts