2018 Honda Accord Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
So far...

Six tanks of fuel used and am averaging slightly more than 32 MPG.
I've filled four times with 87 octane and twice with 93. Don't see any difference in MPG between the two. There may be a slight power boost with the 93, but that may also be mostly in my head. Haven't used a watch to time anything.
One thing I have noticed is that the 'Low fuel' indicator is very pessimistic, as is the 'Range' reading. No doubt they're related.
Yesterday the 'Range' said 32 miles and the 'Low fuel' light was on.
I filled up with 11.9 gallons. The tank holds 14.8 according to Honda. Maybe it will learn more as the miles accumulate.

·
Registered
736 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Biggest Difference I Noticed is When going Back to Reg. from Mid Grade - I get Higher MPG from the Regular for like 60 miles or till the Next - Cold Start .
I Reset and held 41 Mpg for 59 Miles and Still at 37 Mpg next Day running Errands with Traffic , Lights and many Stops . . another 22 miles . .

Will probably settle out around 33 Mpg ..as I get up towards 350 Miles of Similar Driving . .
Above was in Medium size Mountains . ( More Like 5th Tank )

·
Registered
32 Posts
I've driven the sport 2.0T 10speed auto for 4.5 months now with mostly city (probably 95%). But I mean city like L.A. and its traffic jam, streets full of 4-way stops, etc....not like Orange County or other suburbs where you can actually drive for 1 minute without stopping.

And even tho I try to be reasonable, sometimes I push it a bit but very rarely, barely use sport mode (or eco), try to be 10 to 25 % max on throttle...

At the end, my average milage is 20mpg.....not great huh? Actually just 2MPG below city estimate

Oh and my A/C is on auto constantly so that may be a factor.

I think I remember I had the same average MPG on my previous Camry SE after 3 year lease but I drove it much more aggressively. I don't feel the need to push the accord as much to get the same feels of acceleration tho

·
Registered
48 Posts
I have a 2.0T Touring. I drive 20% freeway and 80% for work, by the end of the tank, it is ~24 mpg in normal mode and ~26 in eco mode. When driving close to 90% freeway like a long road trip, I get 35 to 36 mpg. AC not on.

·
Registered
163 Posts
I have an app called aCar which now connects to Fuelly. These calculations are usually 1-2 mpg below what the car tells me. I haven't figured out the cause of the discrepancy yet, it was the same with my previous car too.

Accord (Honda Accord) | Fuelly
What are your numbers by your math calculations? My numbers are nearly identical to those in the infotainment screen. Noticed others reporting this accuracy as well. Lots of cars have this feature, but most tend toward the optimistic, including my ‘15 GTI. Cheers to Honda.

·
Registered
38 Posts
The numbers on the website are the ones it calculates. Each time I get gas I put in the mileage, the amount of gas used, and what I paid. Normally it calculates 1-2 less for the mpg than the car does. If I do the math, ((mileage - previous mileage) / gallons), I come up with the same numbers as the app.

·
Registered
736 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
That Last Tank was BP

Sure seems to be Great - Now after several short runs - get This & That , and Run of 40 miles 1 trip through Country side Tank now reads 36 Mpg down from 37 .

Sure after 5-6 more cold starts 5-6 short trips 10-16 miles each and 1 - 66 Mile Run tomorrow - Mpg may be down to 35 Mpg .. Country side still has Stops & Hills .
Nothing is Flat around here .. I did Notice that Moving more in the 58 Mph - to - 68 Mph stays in Higher Gears on Hills , so easier to get good Mpg ..
As soon as I get behind Grandma going 40 Up a Hill - it's down in 5th for 1 mile Hill or something like that - Zap goes Mpg . .
If I had been doing 65 - 68 Mpg would have stayed in 8th Gear No Effect on Mpg .. currently 210 miles on this tank ..

·
Registered
38 Posts
EngTech1 are you doing mostly highway driving? I'm about 50-50 with a 13 mile trip back and forth to work mostly. Maybe 1-3 times a week are quick local runs for about 5 miles.

·
Registered
736 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
I Live in Country so most Runs might be at least 10-18 Miles , a few 7-8 Miles and Toss in 2 round trips of 60-90 miles .. Generally , but in the Hills and lots of Stop signs - Traffic Lights on short Runs ..many Cold Starts . .

The 400 mile Tank was longer Runs .. Bigger Mountains and some Spirited Driving .

It seems , When I reset after the Last Tank which was Mid Grade - that the Fresh Reg. Tank was doing Very Well ..
( Believe the Computer takes it's Time ) Dialing Back the Timing Advance - it had Leaned - Picked up from the Mid Grade Tank - where I had some High HP - Runs also ..
The Weather was 12 degree Cooler then it had been also . Then Filled with Regular - it seems the Timing Stayed Advanced for Few more Days , Possibly the Cooler Weather
As it started to Drop another few Degrees , so (90's were Gone , then the 80's - Turned into 75's ) I Believe the Leaned Computer - just Kept the Advance do to Light Driving & Cooler . .

What this Tell Me is there is Room for ECO Improvement - with - Temperature Controls , so Lets Say
Cool Air Intake - system that Breathes Better
& ( Better IC for Hot Weather )
400 Miles Tank didn't have the Engine Bay Hood Seal - Removed - all the Others Tanks _ Had Removed the Engine Bay Seal .
Once I realized just How Hot this Engine Bay was in 92 Plus Heat - that was Off !

Now this Week - were having Mid 60's & 45 @ Night , so the Engine Seal is back on now .. Just Yesterday it took 10-11 miles to get Motor Full Warmed up Trans didn't Warm Up
Another 5-6 Mile .
Oil Isn't , but Water Gauge is Reporting Fully Warm , but has Never taken 11-12 Miles to get Trans Fully Warmed Up .
Now it's even Cooler so Seals On and today 5- Miles Engine Warmed , 8-9 Miles Trans Felt Smooth ( Felt Warmer ) - I tell by the Firmest of the Shifts and It was 56 Degrees , so that Seal
Removal makes a Difference . . 75 Degree and Up . .

·
Registered
32 Posts
Hello,

I come back here to adjust what I said earlier. It looks like my ratio is actually 100% city according to that guy: Tip: Find your "true" city/highway driving splits! | Fuelly

My average speed over the last 3000+ miles is only 18mph.

So 100% city, getting 20mpg with A/C on at all time (and coming out of a hot summer of SoCal) is decent compare to the estimated 22mpg for city given by Honda

·
Registered
736 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Lowe Gears on Trans really Suck Fuel , as I stated If Slow on Hill and Only roll into long Hill at 45 Mph - it down shifts Low , Low Gears and Burns Fuel ..
Roll into same Hill at 65 Mph - only steps down 1 or 2 gears and Hold Good Mpg ~ still think the 3.84 Gears would be Better Choice for this 10 Speed .
7th Gears shouldn't be as Tall nor 8th . . . in bigger Mountains I'm in 6th Gears a lot even 5th . . Tight Roads can't travel High enough Speed to Hold Taller Gearing ..

1400 Miles on Ocean Trip down in the Cold with Low Tire Pressures , which I found out half way thought Trip .. I couldn't Believe it as I just Topped those Up 3 weeks ago
**** these are New and Nitrogen Filled ( Seems Odd ) Couple Months maybe , but 3 weeks ?
so on way down 30.5 & 31.5 Mpg , Best I could do ..

On Way Back up Hill mostly from Zero to 800 ft. anyhow .. Tires @ 33 $ 32 Psi with Warmer Temps 37 Mpg 35.5 and 33.7 Mpg Driving way Harder then on way down .. ,so
Tire Pressure are Huge , Rolling Resistance seems to really effect this Honda 10 Speed .. , Outside Temperatures effect ( Stat Dragging on Motor )

10 Speed does Nothing for Going 85 Mph anything over 79 Mph stats Burning Fuel , so Aero Package isn't as Good as Honda States . .

I'll be Heading for Light Wheels , Better Rolling Tires , really think 3.84 would have been better Gear for this Vehicle .. ( City & Mountains )
Smaller ~ Cleaner Mirrors like on NSX would help ..If I did * No Hot Dogging and stayed around 74~77 Mph would have Netted 35 Mpg .. * in Current Stock Set Up ..

·
Registered
736 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Up Date Report : after a good Break in Period and 1 Oil & Filter Change , Back to 5W-20
Cold Weather Short Runs 31 Mpg
Longer Runs everything Warmed Up Nicely ~ 36Psi Frt. 34 Psi Rear Tires ~ 1.5 Oz ~ 2.0 Oz Marvel to Lube Injectors and for Cold Starts
34.5 Mpg 45-63 Mph had 2 Stops 1 of which was 40 Plus Min. Engine got Cold again due to Wind Chile which made it 12 Degrees .. Good 12 Mph Head Wind also ..

Now If I had taken it out on Super Slab
Run 77 - 84 Mph sure that would have been more like 33.9 Mpg ..( This is where I Feel the Gearing ) is Off some as 17" Tires aren't that Heavy or it's also the Big Mirrors
Hanging way out there . . ( As with Honda Tuning the Accords Aero Package and 10 Gears ) MPG shouldn't be Dropping Off Till 90 Mph . I'm sure some of You have gone up
Slight Grade with just 1 person in Vehicle , Not 4 Persons pulling Trailer .. and yet 1-2-3 Gears it Steps down to 7th .. rolling at 58-60 Mph .

I'll Know More once I get Lightweight Wheel Set Up on this Honda ..

·
Registered
22 Posts
I'm now four months in and have 6,000 miles on my 2018 2.0 AT EX-L.
The infotainment display says that it's gotten 33.1 MPG.
That's a little higher than I've calculated by keeping track of the gas used. My number is 32.5.
Most of the time it's run on 87 octane. Five of the fillups have been 93 octane.
It looks like the 93 octane gives slightly better mileage, but not very much better, about 0.5-0.8 MPG.
The 'miles left' indicator has gotten nearer to reality. Early on it was extremely pessimistic. It would say things like '32 miles to go' when there was over 3 gallons left in the tank.

·
Registered
736 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
Hey ~ NH

I'm now four months in and have 6,000 miles on my 2018 2.0 AT EX-L.
The infotainment display says that it's gotten 33.1 MPG.
That's a little higher than I've calculated by keeping track of the gas used. My number is 32.5.
Most of the time it's run on 87 octane. Five of the fillups have been 93 octane.
It looks like the 93 octane gives slightly better mileage, but not very much better, about 0.5-0.8 MPG.
The 'miles left' indicator has gotten nearer to reality. Early on it was extremely pessimistic. It would say things like '32 miles to go' when there was over 3 gallons left in the tank.

Real Good Especially in that Cold Up there .. I Usually Go 7-9 Miles with Just Seats On Till everything is Warmed Up
How's Seats Performing Up there ? Looking like Snowmobile Weather - Dam that was always so much Fun . . Ice Fishing Started Yet ?

Waiting to Read about these Light Wheels - Guys are Throwing On - seems that 8-10 Lbs per wheel would get + .8 Mpg for those City Drivers .. .

·
Registered
736 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
Gearing Check Honda Odyssey 2018 has 10X Auto

Gearing Check on - Honda Odyssey 2018 has the 10X Auto : That said It must be Different some How as Odyssey is Rated to Pull - 3500lbs , 2018 Odyssey Weights 4255 - 4300lbs or 1000 Lbs Heavier
Then the Accord , Yet it's Tow Rating is 1500 More then the Accords 2000 lb Tow Rating -

( I Found this Interesting ) as for Gearing in Odyssey's 10X Auto is _ Exactly Same for all Gear Ratios as Accords

That Being V6 280 Hp & 266 Tq. ~ It would Not get as HOT ~ But it is also Running 235/70's Tall - Truck Tires ..

Final Ratio is 3.61 where the Accord 3.54 - These Two Final Gear Ratio's are so Close - there has to something Else Going On ~

This Being Odd ~ Haa LOL

Possibly it's Not a Lock Up Type Converter on 2018 Odyssey , so this Begs the Question what's so Different ?
Is the 2018 Odyssey's 10 X Auto is it Totally Different Set of Beefed Up - Bearings - Gear Sets that allow 3500 Towing ?

Certainly seems We have Odyssey taking Place , did Honda Add HD Lining & Cooler ?

:grin:

·
Registered
7 Posts
I bought the Hybrid touring because 80% of my miles driven are commuting 50 miles a day which includes a fair bit of stop and go traffic, plus any running around, and mixed weekend driving. From Spring thru late Fall, many weekends driven are 100% highway of 74mph to 79mph near constant for 270 miles or more total.

NONE of the above has yet resulted in 40mpg+ (per tank or trip) in 3500 miles, which completely throws off all cost saving estimates compared to the 2.0T.

All calcs were based on getting solid 42mpg combined in the Hybrid and 26 combined in in the 2.0T, based on Fuelly.com, EPA's fuel economy site, as well as other owners on other forums reporting under 25mpg for similar daily drives.

Threads like this really make me feel a little buyers remorse that I did not buy the 2.0T! Both were priced at $32,800.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts