2018 Honda Accord Forum banner

21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
880 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Your 40 Mpg is Great Stuff

I bought the Hybrid touring because 80% of my miles driven are commuting 50 miles a day which includes a fair bit of stop and go traffic, plus any running around, and mixed weekend driving. From Spring thru late Fall, many weekends driven are 100% highway of 74mph to 79mph near constant for 270 miles or more total.

NONE of the above has yet resulted in 40mpg+ (per tank or trip) in 3500 miles, which completely throws off all cost saving estimates compared to the 2.0T.
All calcs were based on getting solid 42mpg combined in the Hybrid and 26 combined in in the 2.0T, based on Fuelly.com, EPA's fuel economy site, as well as other owners on other forums reporting under 25mpg for similar daily drives.Threads like this really make me feel a little buyers remorse that I did not buy the 2.0T! Both were priced at $32,800.

Your Doing a lot of High Way Drives 40 Mpg is Rocking it .. Lucky to get 34 Mpg with Mountains Combined Locally with many Short Trips & Lights 29.5 -31 Mpg with Cooler Temps setting in .

I have Light Foot on the Go Peddle .. ( Have You Weighted the Wheel Tire Package on Hybrid ? ) I Know I Gained .50 -.85 Mpg on the VW Lighter Wheels , but the Handling Went Way Up ~
If I Drove in Normal Mode & did Quick Light get away , My Local Miles would Generate more like 26-28 Mpg ..

·
Registered
7 Posts
Your Doing a lot of High Way Drives 40 Mpg is Rocking it .. Lucky to get 34 Mpg with Mountains Combined Locally with many Short Trips & Lights 29.5 -31 Mpg with Cooler Temps setting in .

I have Light Foot on the Go Peddle .. ( Have You Weighted the Wheel Tire Package on Hybrid ? ) I Know I Gained .50 -.85 Mpg on the VW Lighter Wheels , but the Handling Went Way Up ~
If I Drove in Normal Mode & did Quick Light get away , My Local Miles would Generate more like 26-28 Mpg ..
79-80mph for the round trip weekend trip duration mentioned has resulted in 37-38mpg, consistently. Temps were cold.

I have no plans to buy lighter wheels because I strong believe what Honda provided is the best all around for MPG and noise on this Hybrid.

Ironically, I do plan to buy 19" within the next year to become Spring-Fall wheels and the 17's will become Winter tires. I expect a slight MPG hit, but I also expect it to be slight. This Hybrid is obviously VERY sensitive to conditional changes. So we'll see.

I have dozens of wheel/tire swapping examples on many previous vehicles from my old 04 Accord to my big V8 SUV, mid size SUV and even an 08 Ody mixed in. Never was MPG affect more than 1/2mpg, which in my book is easily with a margin of error and condition differences for any given drive. But again....with this sensitive Hybrid...we'll see.

·
Registered
880 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
OK - Good to Hear

When You Drop 8-10lbs a Corner - it's Big Improvement in every Aspect ..

I had the Recent Ability to take Good Ride in Ford Escape , it had the Handling Package and came with 19" Wheels Shod with
235/45/19's Bridge Stones - Nice Tire .. On the Ripples in Road - could Feel every Single One .. ( Ride in those Conditions - Only Low Fair )

On all other Area's wasn't to Bad - Nice Handling - a - Little Edgy 35 Psi - sure would be Better Lowered to 30 Psi . .

That said Escape with Small Turbo Motor 6 speed OD RPM 2300 around 74 Mph - Only got 23.5 Mpg

This Morning Started Out 36 Degrees 224.5 Miles on Tank @ 29.6 Mpg a lot of short Trips running around .. Today 36 Degrees went on 66 Mile Ride 3 Stops to Shoot Photography
Hit 4 Lights during this 66 mile jaunt 55 Mph Zones & Express way 70 Mph Zone ( Got Back ) 50 Degree same Tank - No Resets - 290.5 Miles on Tank Average now 31.6 Mpg ~
Green Leaf Added 2 Mpg Rise in Average only Going 66 Miles on 224.5 Tank , so Driving 1/3 of the all ready 224.5 Netted 2 Mpg Increase - Not Sure on Math ?
Seems Engine - Drive Train would have to have been doing 38 Mpg - I'm Guess as I didn't do the Math . . ( I did have Marvel in the Tank ) 1.5-2 Oz on the Full Tank ..
that is such a small amount - it's like only placing back all Lost Lubricity that Fuel has Lost in 25 Years . . :wink:

·
Registered
880 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
MPG - Up Date

Went on another small trip 600 mile 1 way . I'll ~ Post Up Data ~

Trip A - which is all My Trips and Trip B is Over All ..

Older Trips see Miles on Tank when I reset do to Filling Up Tank :

356.3 Miles has few runs of 50-60 miles to Cities .
216.0 Miles was Mostly 95% running around locally Short Trips .
611.1 Door to Door 1 Way Trip No Reset when getting Fuel - Lots of 9X Passing After Midnight , Some Idling & find Car Wash .. ( Lots means 100 Plus Miles ) . . High Speed Humping . . just after Midnight We let it all Hang Out ~

339.7 Miles , Door to First Top Off Tank - Kept it under 80Mph mostly 76 Mph

Netted Best Mpg 35.8 which was 36.4 Mpg till I - Drove Into Atlanta ( Heat Island Effect )

Turbo Burst around Traffic ~

Attachments

·
Registered
104 Posts
2.0t Touring with 9k miles in 14 months. Typically short trips around town 32+ MPG ON 87. Recent 200 mile trip on all interstate after filling tank (not a lot of hills but not all flat) cruise speed set at 65 a couple of rest stops. See mileage calculation. Not in a hurry ?

Attachments

·
Registered
880 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Response to Ringo above ~ Only reason I'm getting higher MPG then some I just Drive Mostly Normal - No Sudden Surges on Red Lights , Keep it 55-60 on Rural Roads ..
Coast down to Lights - so easier on Brakes ..
Keep Tires Pumped 34 PSI .. If it was Hybrid Accord ~ those Tires are made to Hold more then 38 PSI .. I'd be Running 38 PSI ..and Checking Alignment ..
I Recently Found most Honda's from ~ Factory are "Not" Aligned Properly .. - Unfortunately Honda mostly only gives 5K or 40 Days - If I even have that Correct ? Anyone
Use to be 3 months 7,500 Miles and Bleed the Brakes without Question .. 10K on Volvo's

OK Rear Camber is Little on Heavy side which is causing the Tires to Prematurely Wear Out .. there seems to be No Great Way to correct these Numbers
Exmaple L Rear Camber -1.54 and R Rear Camber -1.74 - which should be hovering more around -1.20 _ -1.10 Degrees .. and Toe Out was Big which will Kill
MPG on Hybrid ..Ringo ~ Bingo

·
Registered
880 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
In Fact I'm able to remember when All Dealer's would even Pull the Alignment Bolts and Place Anti-Seize on Bolts - "Considered Common Practice"
This was well after " Grease Fittings " on Chassis were all ~ Long Gone ~
Grease Doors Hinges etc. ( Master Mechanic Adjustments ) should Included Alingment & First Time Brake Bleeding ) should be common Place after all the Dealers all want to Say
U Know these Auto's are all Manufactured today by Robots or some BS along those Lines . .

·
Registered
880 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
After Romping through the Mountains on New Green Shoes , so breaking them in very Mildly - 45 Mpg to 70 Mph in
25 Mph to 35 Mph Sign Posted Curves - mostly cruising in 45-60 Mph Range , but In steep Mountains the Entire Trip
165 Miles Total , maybe 40 Miles were somewhat Flat Returned 34 Mpg Honda is over due for Oil Change . .
which will be Happening this Up Coming week . . then I do some more _ Testing with New "Lighter" Shoes

·
Registered
880 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Don't have to push Throttle Down as much to pull away Smartly . . also Climbed up into Mountains with Less Throttle Pressure ..
didn't seem to shift as much .. Away Rides much Better . . Up around 5200ft from 755ft Air Temp @ 77 Degrees instead of 93 Nice Day Drip . . so Cooler

21 - 29 of 29 Posts