2018 Honda Accord Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Not sure if any of you guys have seen this, but a couple sites online are already petitioning for Honda to bring back a type r variant of the accord. Above is a rendering of what they hope it would look like. I have to say I'm a pretty big fan of the styling as its not so over the top as with the Civic Type R. What do you guys think?

·
Registered
73 Posts
That looks like the hatchback Type R, but with a more appealing body style and aerodynamic roofline. I'd be interested, though I can't imagine myself paying around $35k for a car.

·
Registered
1 Posts
This wouldnt be 35xxx if the civic is, i paid 30 for the sport 2.0t manual so if it was only 5k more for the aero and exclusive interior i wouldnt even blink

·
Registered
83 Posts
The 18+ Accord Touring 2.0T is already around 34k. The FK8 CTR is selling for 33k(But with all the hype/over pricing its like 37k-38k). So if they did make a Accord Type R. I would assume it would be 38k-40k MSRP. And then add them dealership outrageous pricing... that would land it near 45k. For me personally, I would get something else with 40k. If it's going to be a Type R, I would just buy the Civic Type R.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I agree that the price point is a huge factor and more than likely a breaking point for most buyers. I wouldn't expect this trim to start at less than $40k considering the success of the Civic Type R. I think the main draw to this as opposed to the Type R is its styling. With the Type R it seems that you either love it or hate it, so a racing variant of the Accord could fill that gap.

·
Registered
98 Posts
If it's going to sell for 38k-40k MSRP, you may was well go for other performance sedans around that price. I think the Kia Stinger would be cheaper because there isn't price gouging, which seems to be the standard with Type R cars...
If nothing else, you can probably add a few red accents to a white Accord to give it that Type R look. :D

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah, i think thats the main reason we wont see a Type R for the Accord, is the inflated price point. As you've said there are just so many cheaper alternatives. I don't think those looking for a performance sedan would go the route of an Accord to begin with. It'll be interesting to see what aftermarket parts become available, but for the most part they will probably just be for styling purposes.

·
Super Moderator
830 Posts

Not sure if any of you guys have seen this, but a couple sites online are already petitioning for Honda to bring back a type r variant of the accord. Above is a rendering of what they hope it would look like. I have to say I'm a pretty big fan of the styling as its not so over the top as with the Civic Type R. What do you guys think?
I like it... could be tempted, however I know the dealers would price gouge you... way over MSRP and no deals to be had. :mad:

·
Registered
44 Posts
I agree that the likely price would not make all that appealing - UNLESS - it had all wheel drive.

I have had my manual transmission 2.0 Accord since November and love it but frequently allow myself to imagine what this car could do with AWD and a turbo six cylinder. It would be an absolute beast that could deliver a huge value proposition relative to European sport sedans.

·
Super Moderator
830 Posts
Resurrecting this thread as I had hoped Honda would do a Type R Accord for 2019, however now that I think about it more I'm wondering if they are feeling that it would compete against the Acura TLX A-Spec. :plain: A fully dressed out TLX A-Spec MSRP is around 46K. Thoughts?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Resurrecting this thread as I had hoped Honda would do a Type R Accord for 2019, however now that I think about it more I'm wondering if they are feeling that it would compete against the Acura TLX A-Spec. :plain: A fully dressed out TLX A-Spec MSRP is around 46K. Thoughts?
There are a few reasons why we'll probably never see an Accord Type R:

1. Look at the state of the demand for cars, particularly sedans. Accord sales are down significantly. There is no reason to devote time and resources for what would be a niche car at the very best. I would expect the 6-speed option to disappear soon.

2. The price point for a car like this would push the Accord to over $40K, which probably is not much of a sweet spot for the demographics of Honda customers.

3. A car like this is what Acura exists for.

·
Super Moderator
830 Posts
@hondaguyinla and @Mojo I agree w/both your comments.... price points and demand would probably not justify production. But when you look at the Civic Type R and the cost of it (which most dealers are marking up thousands over MSRP and selling them) you would think that a limited run/amount of Accord Type R's would be purchased by diehard Accord enthusiasts.

·
Registered
4 Posts
@hondaguyinla and @Mojo I agree w/both your comments.... price points and demand would probably not justify production. But when you look at the Civic Type R and the cost of it (which most dealers are marking up thousands over MSRP and selling them) you would think that a limited run/amount of Accord Type R's would be purchased by diehard Accord enthusiasts.
Other than many of us on these forums, I think combining Accord and enthusiast in the same sentence are contradictory. The Civic is a completely different demographic and one that lends itself more to a car like the Type R. In the past, there have been Si versions of the Civic, but never of the Accord, so that should tell us all what Honda's thinking is.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts