2018 Honda Accord Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So i have 2020 accord 1.5t with 3500 miles on it.
1) i have noticed that when i reach my destination and turnoff the engine, and then take off foot from brake pedal the car moves little bit forward and then settles itself.please note i dont set parking brake at this time.

2) if i set the parking brake and then release brake pedal , then car does not move.

3) this moving thing and then settling become more pertinent ,when i park downhill or uphill.

is there something to worry about?

·
Registered
68 Posts
Why dont you always set the parking brake first before putting it into park and turning off. Its always good practice. Your literally using your gears to stop the car if you dont. Even worse on hills.

·
Super Moderator
2,479 Posts
If you're the original owner of the car and it's done it since purchase it may be an anomaly of the transmission. I have no experience w/the CVT transmission (mine is 10 speed auto) so I can't deny or verify if that's normal. However I can verify with my 10 speed transmission I have not experienced that. I normally park on level ground and once in park I haven't noticed any movement.

With all that said you can do as @cdwalker315 said and use your parking brake to avoid that issue. Personally I don't use the parking brake due to it being electronic... guess I'm "old school" and would prefer a cable operated parking brake versus an electrical one that if it gets stuck for any reason it's not something I can easily correct (I've not heard of this happening though).

·
Registered
2019 2.0 EXL
375 Posts
On level ground, I experience the same as FD. On a slope, I experience the same as you. IIRC, pretty much for all the automatics I've owned (more recently, 2003 Pilot, 2008 Odyssey, 2019 Accord 10AT, and 2020 CRV cvt) - there's a little "slop" or "play". I never researched it because, right or wrong, I always thought that was inherent/natural. Either way, when I do park on a slope, I will put the car in Park and set the parking brake before releasing the brake pedal - my thought (right or wrong) is to put the load (weight of the car on the slope) on the brakes rather than the transmission...

And fwiw, I'm with FD - cable operated (and with a lever)!

·
Registered
'20 Sport 2.0T 6MT, Still Night Pearl. '07 EX-L I4/Nav sold.
98 Posts
This is very normal for automatics. If you use your parking/emergency brake, you will stop it - and it's a good habit to use it anyway; mechanical devices don't respond well to never being used.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts