2018 Honda Accord Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So i have 2020 accord 1.5t with 3500 miles on it.
1) i have noticed that when i reach my destination and turnoff the engine, and then take off foot from brake pedal the car moves little bit forward and then settles itself.please note i dont set parking brake at this time.

2) if i set the parking brake and then release brake pedal , then car does not move.

3) this moving thing and then settling become more pertinent ,when i park downhill or uphill.

is there something to worry about?

· Administrator
2,881 Posts
If you're the original owner of the car and it's done it since purchase it may be an anomaly of the transmission. I have no experience w/the CVT transmission (mine is 10 speed auto) so I can't deny or verify if that's normal. However I can verify with my 10 speed transmission I have not experienced that. I normally park on level ground and once in park I haven't noticed any movement.

With all that said you can do as @cdwalker315 said and use your parking brake to avoid that issue. Personally I don't use the parking brake due to it being electronic... guess I'm "old school" and would prefer a cable operated parking brake versus an electrical one that if it gets stuck for any reason it's not something I can easily correct (I've not heard of this happening though).

· Registered
2019 2.0 EXL
562 Posts
On level ground, I experience the same as FD. On a slope, I experience the same as you. IIRC, pretty much for all the automatics I've owned (more recently, 2003 Pilot, 2008 Odyssey, 2019 Accord 10AT, and 2020 CRV cvt) - there's a little "slop" or "play". I never researched it because, right or wrong, I always thought that was inherent/natural. Either way, when I do park on a slope, I will put the car in Park and set the parking brake before releasing the brake pedal - my thought (right or wrong) is to put the load (weight of the car on the slope) on the brakes rather than the transmission...

And fwiw, I'm with FD - cable operated (and with a lever)!

· Registered
'20 Sport 2.0T 6MT, Still Night Pearl. '07 EX-L I4/Nav sold.
106 Posts
This is very normal for automatics. If you use your parking/emergency brake, you will stop it - and it's a good habit to use it anyway; mechanical devices don't respond well to never being used.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.