2018 Honda Accord Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently had an accident at an intersection. I was struck on the drivers side by a pickup truck at about the A post. The collision caused an alteration in my course directing me into a large utility pole. The hit into the pole was fairly hard cause major damage to the front of my 2018 Accord Sport. This in addition to the considerable damage to the driver’s side. The side airbags did deploy undoubtably saving me from head injury. The front airbags did not deploy. My seatbelt restrained me limiting my injury to bruising By the belt.

My concern is; why didn’t the front bags deploy? The distance from the first impact to the second impact into the utility pole was about 40’. I estimate my speed prior to the first impact at 35-40 mph.

·
Administrator
2,549 Posts
Sucks to hear about your accident and injuries sustained from it... wishing you a speedy and full recovery. Regarding the frontal air bag deployment I had no idea but it peaked my curiosity so I did some research.

NHTSA Air Bags states that the airbag should deploy in a "moderate to severe crash" and they define that as "Frontal air bags are generally designed to deploy in "moderate to severe" frontal or near-frontal crashes, which are defined as crashes that are equivalent to hitting a solid, fixed barrier at 8 to 14 mph or higher. (This would be equivalent to striking a parked car of similar size at about 16 to 28 mph or higher.)"

You mentioned your estimated speed at initial impact was "35 - 40 mph" so it may be a possibility that you were under the speed to activate the front air bags when you hit the pole. The major damage is by design... cars are built to crumble to absorb impact, also with all the plastics on the front of our cars it's not going to take much to do significant damage. ?

1 - 2 of 2 Posts