2018 Honda Accord Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What changes have you noticed by upgrading your stereo. Has an amp install changed the cars sound prompts? How's the handsfree calls been through the system? Also what's changed by disabling the ANC?

I looking to add the kicker key amps and 10 in the trunk. That new epicenter micro seems like it might be a better option,, any thoughts appreciated!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Can't comment on a stereo upgrade since I'm still working on performance and aero for my car, but I did disable ANC. The ANC is active noise cancellation so it'll use a microphone to listen to ambient sounds like road/wind noise and produce frequencies through the speakers to cancel them out. That's the theory, anyway.

In practice, as far as I can tell, it doesn't really make much of a noticeable difference but will cause interference with aftermarket stereo/sub. My understanding is that the ANC will treat the sounds coming from aftermarket components as ambient noise and try to cancel them out. Since it doesn't really do a good job in the first place, it just ends up making your new system sound like garbage.

If you do end up going aftermarket with your components, I would highly recommend sound deadening. A huge part of what makes the stock stereo sound bad is the last of cabin isolation in our cars, which is probably why Honda tried to mitigate it with ANC. In lieu of an aftermarket system, I just sound deadened the front doors and tweaked the EQ. Just doing those 2 things alone made a noticeable improvement in the clarity of the stock system.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Can't comment on a stereo upgrade since I'm still working on performance and aero for my car, but I did disable ANC. The ANC is active noise cancellation so it'll use a microphone to listen to ambient sounds like road/wind noise and produce frequencies through the speakers to cancel them out. That's the theory, anyway.

In practice, as far as I can tell, it doesn't really make much of a noticeable difference but will cause interference with aftermarket stereo/sub. My understanding is that the ANC will treat the sounds coming from aftermarket components as ambient noise and try to cancel them out. Since it doesn't really do a good job in the first place, it just ends up making your new system sound like garbage.

If you do end up going aftermarket with your components, I would highly recommend sound deadening. A huge part of what makes the stock stereo sound bad is the last of cabin isolation in our cars, which is probably why Honda tried to mitigate it with ANC. In lieu of an aftermarket system, I just sound deadened the front doors and tweaked the EQ. Just doing those 2 things alone made a noticeable improvement in the clarity of the stock system.
Thank you! Not an easy job but I know it'll need to be done. I see guys that really go the distance deadening everything,,, and just wonder if I could hire them. I'm down for tackling everything else!

·
Registered
953 Posts
Thank you! Not an easy job but I know it'll need to be done. I see guys that really go the distance deadening everything,,, and just wonder if I could hire them. I'm down for tackling everything else!
If you feel like driving to Vegas and bringing the sound deadening lol.
The only thing I noticed when disconnecting anc was I can hear the horn now when i honk at people. As far as voice prompt s ect that's controlled by the center speaker on the premium 10 speaker system. I got muted somewhat when I changed it and my system is turned up. At lower volume you can hear her perfect still. I believe stock center speaker was filtering out a lot.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.