2018 Honda Accord Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Day 3 and still trying to digest all of the goodies. I am a tech guy and I find it a bit challenging!

Dealer setup my iPhone initially using Bluetooth. Using iOS 11.3.1 Next day I decided to try the Apple Car Play. Sort of disappointed I have to plug it in. He told me this...Still experimenting with it and also using the standard Bluetooth system. Have been reading that not a lot of cars have a wireless (or Bluetooth) approach to Apple Car Play? Wonder if it will ever be possible? Is it a Honda limitation or a Apple limitation? I do like the Apple phone implementation and maps and read my emails and all of that. Just sort of reading and experimenting...

Once you start using Car Play, do you always have to use it? Seems like when the phone is not plugged in, the Honda system via Bluetooth seem to work ok. Manual indicates if a phone was previously paired before using Car Play, it would still work in Bluetooth mode.

One weird thing I need to check out further....Put 10-12 iTunes albums on a thumb drive to experiment. They are ACC which is the highest quality. Manual says it will handle Mp3, WMP and ACC. I plugged it it and went to that USB as source (not using Car Play) and the display kept running all of the songs in the display like it was playing all 100+ songs rapidly yet nothing played. It just kept doing this over and over. The titles were just flashing by in the display. I didn't have the iPhone plugged in, so was not invoking Car Play. Was just trying to see how it would work using the USB.

I now look on the USB and there is now a new folder labeled "LOST DIR" folder on the drive with nothing in it. The USB is formatted for FAT32, it is 32GB. Maybe the player is confused as their are folders with Artist name and within that folder are 4 albums, for example. Maybe they need to be organized in a "flat fashion", not nested folders?

Any ideas? Thx DD

·
Registered
73 Posts
Honestly, I'm an android user and these things confuse the stuffing out of me. I just old school plug everything in all the time even with bluetooth connectivity. Wish I could be of more help.
As for the USB, it may be the file format because it's already formatted to FAT32. Some people just have all the music in a flat fashion.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Just figured out the problem (I think) for the USB music. Years ago I ripped CD's in ITunes to the highest level which is Apple ACC loss less format but while doing that on a Windows PC, the files are saved as MPEG 4 audio. Manual states they can be ACC, MP3, WMP but not MPEG 4.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Apple CarPlay vs. Honda system

After a few days of experimentation, I sort of prefer Apple Car Play versus the standard navigation system. (The Honda system is pretty ok as well) but if you are an Apple fan and like to chat with Siri, the Nav is much easier to setup and usually correct the 1st time. I am still a noobie on the car and both systems but the Car Play is pretty good. Just dislike plugging the darn thing in when I get in the car. I have the conductive charger and my iPhone 10 works lovely on that for charging. But I guess it was never made to also move data.

But Apple has Bluetooth disabled I guess. Hope either Apple or Honda change that is the firmware.

Anyone have any comments on experimentation you have done?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Android Auto

I prefer Android Auto over Bluetooth due to better sound quality of the wired USB connection. Plus apps like Spotify and Waze...especially with Waze, there's no need to "upgrade" to garmin's inferior navi. I'm blown away by Android Auto...I would assume Apple's implementation would be almost as impressive.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Thx unfortunately Apple keeps their environment “closed” to some degree. They have not allowed competitive maps, Google maps, Waze, etc. However, their next version of their phone OS will allow some of these apps, which is due out in Sept. This should make things better! Overall, it is a good implementation, better than the native Honda apps. However, I wish, between Apple and Honda they would make Apple CarPlay work without plugging in a cable. I would guess they could do it via Bluetooth ?

·
Registered
129 Posts
Car Play for Apple Maps w/ traffic.
Bluetooth for reply of my Itunes music.
Note: on the Touring model, the Head Up Display will show navigation directions when using the Navi maps.

·
Registered
143 Posts
The 3rd party map limitation made me set up an android phone running off my iphone's hot spot. The announced IOS 12 upgrade that allows Waze etc is "in the fall" but who knows when that will really happen? Apple Maps is just ok in real world and just flounders in many cases.

·
Registered
151 Posts
I think its already been announced that Google Maps will be incorporating the crowd sourcing tech that's made Waze so popular. I can imagine that over time Apple Maps will adopt a similar model.

·
Registered
89 Posts
My experience with Garmin maps has always been very good. This was before the current Honda based Garmin system which I consider to be one of best except for Waze.

·
Registered
41 Posts
My Apple Play doesn't work most of the time. Ive had the car for less than 2 months and Apple Play has worked maybe 4 times. Dealer stated its because they don't communicate due to my iPhone has updated while I'm asleep. I find this difficult to believe. Unit won't even recognize my smart phone (or my wife's). States no smart phone connected. I have changed cords several times without success. Totally discussed with car. I have bought a total of 10 Hondas (all new) over the years and this (2018 Accord touring) is the worst one. Honda service has gone downhill. Service guy stated there several million Accords out there and I shouldn't believe everything I read including this forum!

·
Registered
143 Posts
Sometimes iPhones won't connect if too many things are running. Have you tried stopping all apps before connecting? I would also power down and up again to start clean. I know it's not ideal but I've helped others with this problem.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
My Apple Play doesn't work most of the time. Ive had the car for less than 2 months and Apple Play has worked maybe 4 times. Dealer stated its because they don't communicate due to my iPhone has updated while I'm asleep. I find this difficult to believe. Unit won't even recognize my smart phone (or my wife's). States no smart phone connected. I have changed cords several times without success. Totally discussed with car. I have bought a total of 10 Hondas (all new) over the years and this (2018 Accord touring) is the worst one. Honda service has gone downhill. Service guy stated there several million Accords out there and I shouldn't believe everything I read including this forum!
Easiest stuff first, iphone updated to the latest OS version?
Nav software updated in car? There are new versions I have downloaded from the Honda Owners site.
If all that is good, maybe reset the Nav unit in the car. There is a menu to reset. Don’t know if you will lose any settings but worth a shot.
I have read where people have had their navigation unit replaced for just acting weird, etc.
I have noticed a few times where the nav says something wasnt connected when I look at various menus, when it was and actually worked fine.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I reset the system and everything worked fine for about ten minutes then back to the same. To dealer on Thursday. He said he would have disconnect the battery to reset the whole system.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Honda Replace the whole electronics a replace the whole electronics system. Worked well for about a day then the same problems. No Apple play and navigation won’t hold home address.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts