2018 Honda Accord Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Many, if not most, sporty cars are now using artificial sound effects delivered through the car sound system to mimic, what they consider to be, sounds of performance. I have owned three VW GTI’s including a 2015 sitting in my garage alongside my new Accord Sport 2.0T. The first two GTI’s merely piped sound into the glove compartment. The ‘15 has an electronic noise maker underneath the windshield wiper panel. I disconnected it. My Honda sounds kind of phony, more like a 6 cylinder engine. I think it is artificial. Does anyone have any info about this?

·
Registered
242 Posts
Many, if not most, sporty cars are now using artificial sound effects delivered through the car sound system to mimic, what they consider to be, sounds of performance. I have owned three VW GTI’s including a 2015 sitting in my garage alongside my new Accord Sport 2.0T. The first two GTI’s merely piped sound into the glove compartment. The ‘15 has an electronic noise maker underneath the windshield wiper panel. I disconnected it. My Honda sounds kind of phony, more like a 6 cylinder engine. I think it is artificial. Does anyone have any info about this?
You can always try feeding some engine noise into the cabin for more of a real authentic sound.
Looking up how other car makers do this will the best solution, even buying the same tube setup to transfer noise.

·
Registered
318 Posts
I didn't know that the new Accord was utilizing a sound generator. Has this been confirmed? I've always opted to disable these kinds of devices.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Don't know why you'd want more cabin noise in something that's meant to be a daily driver. If such a device has found its way into the new models, I expect most owners trying to disable/remove it.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Active Sound Control is a standard feature on every trim level of the 2018 Accord. It's designed to reduce engine and road noise. I assume it would be more effective on EX-L and Touring trims with subwoofers.

https://salestraining.honda.com/Shared-Technologies/Shared-Technologies/Engineering-NVH/Active-Sound-Control-Accord[/

Thanks for the link. These devices used by several sporty car manufacturers is the last few years are designed to mimic the sound of a high performance engine...not your typical 4 cylinder sound. They are electronic and fed through the vehicle’s infotainment system in the on or off position. It is supposed to be a sound quality appreciated by car enthusiasts and is synchronized with the rpm of the real engine. My most recent example is the 2015 GTI sitting beside my new Accord Sport 2.0T. I did not like it so I disconnected it. Most owners on the GTI forums disconnected theirs as well. Does anyone know how to disconnect the system on my Accord? I do appreciate it’s ability to reduce the ambient noise. Now maybe they should have used the sound of a 1994 V12 F-1 Ferrari??

·
Registered
13 Posts
I do appreciate it’s ability to reduce the ambient noise. Now maybe they should have used the sound of a 1994 V12 F-1 Ferrari??
On your Sport 2.0T, do you notice any engine sound change between Normal and Sport driving modes? Maybe Hondata should add a little VTEC growl to the ASC/ANC or at least some NSX drama from the rear speakers with their engine management software. :D

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
On your Sport 2.0T, do you notice any engine sound change between Normal and Sport driving modes? Maybe Hondata should add a little VTEC growl to the ASC/ANC or at least some NSX drama from the rear speakers with their engine management software. :D
No difference noticed between the driving modes.

·
Registered
318 Posts
That would be pretty neat if Hondata took the Active Sound Control into consideration when applying the tune. I'm sure customers would appreciate the ability to hear the increased performance.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks, is there a way to kill it? I'd rather no sound than fake sound.
Working on that one. My other car toy is a ‘15 GTI. I disconnected that sound device, but it can be coded out as well. Trying to determine if something similar applies to the Accord. Apparently Honda has been using a similar device for a while. That device was located behind the glovebox in previous generations. The Service Mgr. at my dealership was unaware of this feature until I sent him the info. Doesn’t know how to disable it. Guessing that if the artificial sound is disabled, the Active Sound Cancellation would be disabled as well.

I noticed this phony sound during my first test drive. The engine sounds more like a V6 than a 4. Actually I think Honda should program this thing with the sound of their 1994 V12 Formula One engine. As long as I am hearing phony, make it the best phony. Hard to make a four cylinder sound good anyway.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Made an account just to comment on this thread.

I have a Touring 2.0T and I noticed if you are in ECO mode and you downshift with the paddles (get to around 4k RPM) it is noticeably quieter than if you do the same in Sport mode.

Soooo what does that mean? Enhanced augmented sound in Sport Mode to make it sound more dramatic?

Or

Enhanced augmented sound in Eco Mode... The Honda Information Center groups the "Active Sound Control" feature in with the Active Noise Cancellation. Perhaps the actual sound of the engine is when it is in sport mode and the Eco Mode tones it down for comfort.

Just my thoughts but I'm curious as to what you guys think.

From Honda:

"Active Sound Control is a more advanced version of ANC.

This technology has the same ability to suppress the low-frequency booming noise that sometimes enters the cabin environment at low engine speeds.
Active Sound Control also operates throughout the rest of the engine’s speed range, where it can actually tune the sound heard when accelerating."

·
Registered
534 Posts
I saw a Salesmen adjust it to be On vs Off or something like that on Floor Model - but never looked into it - I Drove under a Bridge and a Tunnel with Window Down - Nothing Fake in that Sound

Sounded OK ..

Sure some would like More Sports car sound in the Rear Pipes - I'm just into the Pure Design Purpose with out being Annoying . . or Droning . .

·
Registered
63 Posts
I saw a Salesmen adjust it to be On vs Off or something like that on Floor Model - but never looked into it - I Drove under a Bridge and a Tunnel with Window Down - Nothing Fake in that Sound

Sounded OK ..

According to another poster in another thread, the ANC is disconnected when a window is opened.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Active noise cancellation (ANC) is only to dampen low frequency sound. There is no fake engine sound being played through the car. I looked to see if ANC changed depending on driving mode selected but didnt find anything in the system discrpition.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Has anyone had any issues with their ANC making a howling noise for the first couple minutes of starting? I just purchased as 2.0T sport and it only happens when i first start my drive in the morning, a loud humming noise comes from the center speaker, it goes away after 5 min of driving, crack any of the front windows or sunroof, or when i get to a stop

·
Registered
5 Posts
Yes I just bought a 2018 Honda Accord Sport 6 speed
Driving it off the lot I got that odd reverberating hum
It was raining and the humm was much louder than the out side rain
Picked up my wife from the other car and headed back to the dealer, she heard it too, so I am not crazy
It is not related to the engine rpm or transmission or the radio
Took it right back to the dealer and when the manager was in the car the darn thing would not do it
He thought that the fake engine noise might be what I was hearing but since he could not hear it he was not sure
So off we go again and about a 1/2 mile down the road we hear it again
I had my wife try to record it on her iPhone but when we went to play it back, to show the manager there is no recorded sound
Anyway it stopped again
And yes it did stop a bit before the car comes to a complete halt not sure about the windows it was raining hard so not rolling them down

If this is fake engine noise and it can be turned off without having to unplug anything (**** it is brand new) I would sure like to know how.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts