2018 Honda Accord Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got my Accord Sport almost a year ago. It now has 8500 miles on it and I'm getting the alert about maintenance needed soon. Oil life is at 15%. Should I change it now? Wait until it's at 5%?

and sorry for being lazy but can someone remind me what kind of oil I should use? It's supposed to be a specific weight in all-synthetic, right?

·
Super Moderator
1,418 Posts
My dealership recommends it be changed at 15%. It's going to be a personal preference if you want to go less than that. I would definitely not go below 0% though as there may be some data left in the car that could be pulled and impact a warranty issue if one was to arise.

·
Super Moderator
1,418 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
At what percentage do you replace your toilet paper? When there's 15% left? 10%? 5%? Or when it down to ZERO PERCENT?

There are two types of people on this forum: those that say "do exactly as Honda says, they know best." Then there are those who say "I know better than Honda: I'm gonna tinker with the suspension, the engine, the computer, the wheels, the exhaust, yada,yada, yada. And if Honda says to follow the MM, 0% is good, then 15% must be better. Of course, the dealer is going to tell you to change oil at 15% so they can sell you oil changes 15% more often.

·
Registered
54 Posts
At what percentage do you replace your toilet paper? When there's 15% left? 10%? 5%? Or when it down to ZERO PERCENT?

There are two types of people on this forum: those that say "do exactly as Honda says, they know best." Then there are those who say "I know better than Honda: I'm gonna tinker with the suspension, the engine, the computer, the wheels, the exhaust, yada,yada, yada. And if Honda says to follow the MM, 0% is good, then 15% must be better. Of course, the dealer is going to tell you to change oil at 15% so they can sell you oil changes 15% more often.
Oil isn't tp and doesn't just run out like it. It degrades at different rates depending on driving habits. That percentage gauge isn't 100% accurate. I don't think it would be wise to wait until 0% but its your car

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
yeah, i doubt that engine oil provides a constant and unchanging level of protection until it finally hits a certain point and then suddenly takes a quantum step down in protective ability. it's probably a gentle, somewhat linear degradation.

i went 9,000 miles before having to change oil at 10%. The cost savings of pushing to 10,000 miles does not sufficiently offset the risk i perceive to my engine in doing that.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts