2018 Honda Accord Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone!

I'm new here, so if I post this in the wrong section forgive me.
I'm having issues were the audio goes out. The infotainment screen works just fine but no sound. This happens in random conditions as well. The only way to get the audio to work, is to turn the car off for 10 to 15 seconds and once its started back up everything works as usual.

I've tried listening to music at low, medium, and max volumes and the audio still drops. I also need to let you guys know this problem happened on my last Accord too. (2018 1.5 EXL.) Last week, I got a 2018 2.5 ExL because I wanted more power. But anyways I've taken it to the dealership, but they say everything is fine and I'm never able to go to the dealership soon as the issue happens. When this happened on my 1.5 they said the same thing.

Have any of you had this happen?

·
Super Moderator
1,680 Posts
Never have experienced this.... odd that it has happened on two different cars of yours. I would hope the dealer would have checked/confirmed you have the latest update if you haven't/hadn't already. However just in case this wasn't done you may want to check/confirm you have the latest update (see this thread - Software Update April 6'th 2020).

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I checked for the latest update this morning, and the system is all up to date. Took to the dealership as well, because the audio dropped while I was driving. I told the dealership what was going on, and to not shut of the car. Because restarting the car seems to fix the probable. First thing they do when I step out the vehicle was turn the car off. 45 minutes later they say everything is fine. Offered some solutions like using a different phone cable.... The problem happens whether my phone is connected or not. I love this car, but this is really bothering me. I've been thinking of getting a aftermarket system, but I dont even know if that will fix the problem. Maybe something overheating in the system?

I was hoping to find one person that might have experienced this, but apparently I'm the only one in the Honda Universe lol.

·
Super Moderator
1,680 Posts
Damn... that sucks. Intermittent electronic gremlins can be a royal PITA. You mention that dealer suggested a new phone cable but issue happens whether phone is connected (via cable) or not.... just wondering if you unpaired phone from car and left it unpaired if that would make a difference. Them mentioning phone cable has me wondering if it's a phone issue. If you have/using the same phone that you were in previous car maybe it could be some kind of conflict w/phone or apps on the phone. :unsure:

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I tried an old IPhone 6s and my wife tried her phone too.(Some old Galaxy phone) still happens though. Only thing I'm starting to observe is that the audio cuts out when the volume is above 20 to 25. I took a 1 hour drive tonight and left the radio at 20, worked fine. On ny way back I turn it up to around 26 to 30 range and right before I made it home. The audio cut out. I'm trying to record when it happens but its so random.

·
Super Moderator
1,680 Posts
Ok, that blows my theory of it being phone related. 😕

As far as the volume setting I've never had mine that loud so that may be why I have never experienced what you are. I wonder if this could be some built in safety system to protect some component(s) of the audio system (speakers and/or amp)? What audio source are you listening to when this happens. BTW... what is the highest level of volume our car's will go up to?

·
Registered
70 Posts
OP, what you are describing, to me, is a protection circut activation due to heat. It is either a capacitator that is starting to go bad or IC is getting too hot due to poor connection to the heat sink. In other words, it is your external amplifier.

It will not be visible to the service techs until it dies out compleatly beacuse unless you open the amp you cannot know the problem and mechanics do not do that. So the only way to replicate your problem, in the shop, is to build up heat by having your car in the shop playing at level 30 for some time aaaaand.... thats not happening.

The only thing that throws my theory out is the fact that this happened to both of your cars which are virtualy the same and it is not a common issue on any Accord GenX forum. So that leaves me to belive its the user :) Have you done and carry forward any mods to the car? Not just electrical

1 - 7 of 7 Posts