2018 Honda Accord Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Accord Sport 2.0 6MT
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, may not be the best forum for this but there wasn't a dedicated track subforum.

I recently picked up a 2.0T Sport 6MT as a daily compliment to my weekender S2000. I used to autocross the S before I took the build in a different direction, but I miss the fun community and low barrier to entry (I've seen people bring out rental sedans just to have fun). The Accord is reasonably fun on the streets so I was considering driving out to have some fun at a local event. That said, I'm not looking for prep advice on tires, brakes, or suspension, but I've never dealt with tracking a newer-generation car with tons of safety features.

Has anyone taken their's out and tracked it, whether autocross or road courses? Any issues with sensitive sensors setting off airbags, or overly aggressive traction control? Anything else to look out for?

Thanks!

·
Registered
88 Posts
Hey all, may not be the best forum for this but there wasn't a dedicated track subforum.

I recently picked up a 2.0T Sport 6MT as a daily compliment to my weekender S2000. I used to autocross the S before I took the build in a different direction, but I miss the fun community and low barrier to entry (I've seen people bring out rental sedans just to have fun). The Accord is reasonably fun on the streets so I was considering driving out to have some fun at a local event. That said, I'm not looking for prep advice on tires, brakes, or suspension, but I've never dealt with tracking a newer-generation car with tons of safety features.

Has anyone taken their's out and tracked it, whether autocross or road courses? Any issues with sensitive sensors setting off airbags, or overly aggressive traction control? Anything else to look out for?

Thanks!
Interesting question(s). Unfortunately, I can't answer any of your questions because I don't know.

With that said, auto or road crossing a 2.0T Sport could turn into a disaster. I know you would mod it, but the car is not made in any way shape or form to be conducive to/or able to run autocross or rally.

As a side note, it's a shame the rally racing doesn't get the coverage it used to (Back in the Colin McRae days, it got decent coverage. However, I do know he passed over 10 years ago at least).

Good luck. Curious to see what additional feedback you get. And, please keep us posted.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I just re-read your post and saw you didn't want advice on brakes etc, but I'm going to leave my originally write up below.

I don't think you can fully defeat stability control on the Accord (or you have to do some weird series of car on, push brake pedal two times, push TC button twice, bla bla bla). But Car and Driver didn't mention anything about the safety systems causing issues for their Lightning Lap. You can turn off all the safety features (lane keep assist, automatic collision warning) so that shouldn't give you an issue.

I haven't tracked mine. The only thing that comes to my mind is when Car and Driver ran an 18 Sport 2.0T manual in their 2018 Lightning Lap a couple of years ago (3:18.4 at VIR if anyone cares, which per the article was 1.3 seconds quicker than a 2017 BRZ). They had to up the brake fluid to one that could handle the breaking and the break pads needed to be replaced. So if you're going to track it, maybe invest some money into some brakes that can handle the extra loads.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I just re-read your post and saw you didn't want advice on brakes etc, but I'm going to leave my originally write up below.

I don't think you can fully defeat stability control on the Accord (or you have to do some weird series of car on, push brake pedal two times, push TC button twice, bla bla bla). But Car and Driver didn't mention anything about the safety systems causing issues for their Lightning Lap. You can turn off all the safety features (lane keep assist, automatic collision warning) so that shouldn't give you an issue.

I haven't tracked mine. The only thing that comes to my mind is when Car and Driver ran an 18 Sport 2.0T manual in their 2018 Lightning Lap a couple of years ago (3:18.4 at VIR if anyone cares, which per the article was 1.3 seconds quicker than a 2017 BRZ). They had to up the brake fluid to one that could handle the breaking and the break pads needed to be replaced. So if you're going to track it, maybe invest some money into some brakes that can handle the extra loads.

Thank you, Chad1064. Standard prep is always expected (brake pads and fluid, tires, and catch can) for any kind of track day. I read the writeup on true disable of the traction control but considering it has to be done every time the car is started, I figured I'd just deal with that.

I'm more concerned with how autox has a lot more tendency to jerk the car around causing false trips in safety sensors like airbags. I had seen some of the laps you mentioned before in write-ups by publications, but nothing specific to 50 seconds of constant, sharp changes.

·
Registered
953 Posts
Your biggest problem is going to be the Honda sensing system, lane departure, collision avoidance ect. I can tell you from all the construction here, all the different traffic lines tend to confuse it. One of two things will happen: you go to move over and it pushes you back, or just suddenly hits the brakes. Yes you can turn it off but in some cars it's not a true defeat and if you get into what the ECU thinks is too much trouble, can still intervene. Unfortunately I can't answer that particular question for you. I will say that you 100 percent should upgrade the rsb with either size Progressive bar, or similar companies offering, track or DD. It's tremendously reduces the jerkiness and is really the way the vehicle should come from the factory. Because of this, i have found it also minimizes the cmbs intervention as well, which can be scary in the street, more or less the track.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Your biggest problem is going to be the Honda sensing system, lane departure, collision avoidance ect. I can tell you from all the construction here, all the different traffic lines tend to confuse it. One of two things will happen: you go to move over and it pushes you back, or just suddenly hits the brakes. Yes you can turn it off but in some cars it's not a true defeat and if you get into what the ECU thinks is too much trouble, can still intervene. Unfortunately I can't answer that particular question for you. I will say that you 100 percent should upgrade the rsb with either size Progressive bar, or similar companies offering, track or DD. It's tremendously reduces the jerkiness and is really the way the vehicle should come from the factory. Because of this, i have found it also minimizes the cmbs intervention as well, which can be scary in the street, more or less the track.
I hadn't read anything about stiffening the rear bar. I'll read around more and see what works well. Thanks for the feedback.

·
Registered
953 Posts
I hadn't read anything about stiffening the rear bar. I'll read around more and see what works well. Thanks for the feedback.
I went with the smaller 20mm bar because I was looking to correct the horrible way they tuned the stock bar sizes, not for max stiffness(and reduce understeer, I hate understeer). There is about a 10mm difference between front and rear bars stock. I understand they did it for comfort but the end result was a massive shimmy in the rear end at highway speeds. I would have simply softened the rear shocks and runs a slightly wider wheel with less tire pressure, but anyways, the rear bar is a must have upgrade period tracking or not. I strongly recommend the Progress bar their customer service was amazing and they went above and beyond helping me make sure the bar fit on my hybrid. The other companies were beyond less than helpful ( but unfortunately I'm eyeing some of their products because no one else really makes similar I like, and their products are quality). If your tracking, def go with the 22mm, I mean it's still a fwd sedan so why not dial out as much as possible if that's your desired use. I know more information than you asked but I mentioned because of the drastic reduction just the rear bar had in the computer systems intervening( and you have prior track experience figured I would go into a little more detail). Possibly because some of them rely on yaw sensors ect.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.