2018 Honda Accord Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I will admit, I haven’t looked in the manual but what are the guidelines regarding automatic car washes. I took my car through one and the sensors went off like crazy. I was thinking this can’t be good for a long term thing. I normally Ed washed my old car 2-3 times per week.

·
Premium Member
199 Posts
I've done a few times and never had anything go off that I noticed. I'm usually reading my Kindle while going through though. I'll have to watch more closely next time.

·
Super Moderator
1,857 Posts
Is this one of the car washes that your car is stationary and the machine (wand) goes around your car or the type that has the conveyor type belt that pulls your car thru the different stages of wash/dry? The only things I can remember seeing in the manual speaking of "car wash" was how to get the car to stay in neutral, and follow the directions of the automatic car wash (see attachments).

I normally hand wash my car and have only used a car wash once and that was the type that has the wand you hold and spray the car with.

Attachments

·
Registered
99 Posts
I normally hand wash my car, but there have been time i drive through one. Great one here, where I live. I put the care in neutral and never had an issue.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Is this one of the car washes that your car is stationary and the machine (wand) goes around your car or the type that has the conveyor type belt that pulls your car thru the different stages of wash/dry? The only things I can remember seeing in the manual speaking of "car wash" was how to get the car to stay in neutral, and follow the directions of the automatic car wash (see attachments).

I normally hand wash my car and have only used a car wash once and that was the type that has the wand you hold and spray the car with.
I can not hand wash due to my m/c accident so I go thru one on a regular basis. The manual only points out how to put in neutral and get out of the car. The car washes I go thru I am in the car in the one and the other there is an attendant that is in the car wiping things down.

·
Premium Member
199 Posts
The one I use all the time is a ride through. I sit and read my Kindle while it does its thing. It's only ever complained and flashed a warning when I tried to put it in D without my foot on the brake.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Auto car washes

The only thing I read on my Touring was to make sure the windshield wipers were not on "auto" as damage may occur. Which is sort of an odd issue as you could have the wiper setting on Auto for months and not really notice it until you get rain. In Northern Calif, that could be 5 months. I made notice on which setting was off and the "auto" is one click in the other direction. Just so I know if I go into a car wash.

·
Registered
15 Posts

Why does the manual say push and hold N to keep it in neutral? I just push it once and it stays in neutral until I put it in drive. I go through a car wash once a week

·
Super Moderator
1,857 Posts
Why does the manual say push and hold N to keep it in neutral? I just push it once and it stays in neutral until I put it in drive. I go through a car wash once a week
Do you remain in the car or exit? If you stay in the car then you don't have to do as the instructions indicate... only when you want to exit the car do you have use that procedure (per the manual).

·
Registered
15 Posts
Do you remain in the car or exit? If you stay in the car then you don't have to do as the instructions indicate... only when you want to exit the car do you have use that procedure (per the manual).
Gotcha. I missed that part. I remain inside.

·
Super Moderator
1,857 Posts
Honda has built in safety features that will remove the car from gear (reverse/drive) on automatic's if you open the door w/o having the seatbelt on. Found this out one day when I was moving the car in driveway w/o seatbelt on and opened the door... car went to park when door opened.

·
Registered
849 Posts
Issues with any of these are they use Acid Type Cleaners , If Mild Mostly Not an Issue , but Human Screw Up's always Happen ..

Like No Wax or No Soap , or No Grease Cutter for the tar and Tires - Brake Dust , then there is the Water whether it is ~ Filtered , Recycled or Stright City Water with Lime and High Chlorine ?

So Take Your Chances

·
Registered
82 Posts
I will admit, I haven’t looked in the manual but what are the guidelines regarding automatic car washes. I took my car through one and the sensors went off like crazy. I was thinking this can’t be good for a long term thing. I normally Ed washed my old car 2-3 times per week.
two to three times a week! Warning: hole in pocket book! Warning: paint fading fast!

Wow. I feel bad for doing it 3 to 4 times a year. And even so people say the best way to preserve the paint is DIY. GN

·
Registered
4 Posts
When I go through one of these I make sure that my parking sensors are off as well as my brake hold. No issues.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts