2018 Honda Accord Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My turbo recently went out, but I’m trying to figure out what happened. I was running a pherable stage 3, down and front pipe.When my car started throwing smoke in traffic, does anyone know what could have been the problem
Liquid Petal Rim Automotive tire Gas

· Registered
1954 ~ 1 Ton - Dual Truck with Lift Option & 19.5" Wheels & Bigger Brakes
1,066 Posts
Turbo Shaft looks to have Broken or Separated - Bearings Over Cooked - Stock Turbo = Spun It beyond It's RPM Rating & Balancing
May be able to do a Cartridge Rebuild , but will need some Tweaking to Inside & Blending - Mild Porting Work ..

If You wish to send it to Me - DM Me , I'll Pull it Down and take Pictures of Rebuild - You Need at Least New CHRA

Pull Your Oil Filter , but there may also be a Screen in Oil Pickup Pump Area ?

· Registered
1,066 Posts
Then again , If Your Running an Intake - something could have gotten inside ..

Like Your Out getting Racy with Guys & They or someone Dumped some small Marbles onto Road . . Intake Debris

What Type of Inter cooler U have and How Long has it been on Your Ride ?

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Then again , If Your Running an Intake - something could have gotten inside ..

Like Your Out getting Racy with Guys & They or someone Dumped some small Marbles onto Road . . Intake Debris

What Type of Inter cooler U have and How Long has it been on Your Ride ?
It’s a stock Intercooler , when I got the car it had a damaged intercooler and I was forced to drive it home like that , the turbine doesn’t seem to have any play tho, it just looks grinded the intake had metal shavings after the filter , but I haven’t pulled the oil and checked it yet, I’m hoping I don’t need to get a new engine

· Registered
22 Posts
Sorry to hear. How many miles on the turbo? I was running the same tune, FBO, and decided to go with a big turbo because I read that the oem turbo was breaking at around 43k with the phereable stage 3. I didn't want that to happen to me. Remember, that's putting a lot of demand on a small turbo.

· Registered
971 Posts
What happened is your running a tiny turbo up to it's max at around 25-26psi or so. In top of that you didn't upgrade the ic, so your creating a ton more heat, heat kills components. That's the nature of the game you pay to play

· Registered
39 Posts
He said he was forced to drive it with a damaged intercooler. I would think that would be a big reason it went bad or was damaged some while driving with the broken intercooler and then finally let go. Where did you here Phereable 3 was hurting stock turbos.

· Registered
1,066 Posts
I have seen a Few , but so Far Only had One sent to Me to Take Care Of ./.

I Pulled it all Down & Turbo was From ~ Ford RS ~ that sold in Europe . . seeing everyone wanted
That Turbo Very Rare Item - First to get One that didn't come on a Car & Two be First one in USA to have
RS Turbo that also fit B5254T3 ~ T7 5 cly .. Volvo ..
They are Built into a PH-4 Manifold .. ( This Unit was Involved in an Accident ) Car Lost Control at 85Mph
Hit a Guard Rail on the Intake side as it Spun doing 360's - Tapping Guard Rail like 4-5 Times Before it Flipped
doing an End-O in Reverse with the Nose of RS - Kissing Asphalt as it ended right side up .. ..

Car had an After Market IC which got Bent but did NOT get any Plastic from Inter-cooler into Intake Tract ..
How Ever During 1 of 360's Intake System was Ripped Open and Plastic Shards from Yellow Light being
Light from Lens & Bulb being Thin Glass ~ Got Turned into Dust ~ being Inhaled Through Turbo which was Still
Spun Up as Accident all happened ( Seconds ) ( I Found Dust Inside the Turbo ) do to Those being Very Fine
Particles as Throttle Body has a Wire Mess Screen .. which I was Surprised to NOT Find one on Honda Turbo
Intake system Set Up ( Unless there's 1 ) Farther Up Stream I have NOT Looked into Throttle Body Area .

Do to Light & Thin Parts being Inhaled and also Passing a Wire Mesh Screen - Items were all Very Light .. & Small
Like Dust ..( Even so I had to Diamond Stone Edges ) Inducer Wheel , with Hundred Strokes all with same Pressure
Alignment & Placement .. till I Removed Very Small Stress Point - Impact Marks ./.
$3K Item from 12 Years ago & Rare so Saving it was Important .. Ran for 8 more Years before being Traded
for Fully Tweaked & Worked Unit with Custom Wheels ..( I Also Increased It's Oil Feed Amount ) Very Slightly ..
Mild Porting ..Boosting from stock 17Psi to Custom 22.5-24 Psi ..

What I have seen so Far Honda with No Wire Screen would Inhale Directly Larger Chunks of Plastic & Be Damaged ..
Also Bouncing from Over Revving - Far Beyond " Turbo's Assemblys Cartridge Lower Factory Balancing Point ~
Would also set Up Harmonics .. Causing Scrubbing of Wheel on Shell of Turbo ..

To Know for Sure - Disassembly is Required & Inspection to Find it's True Demise ./.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts