2018 Honda Accord Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I own a 2018 Accord 1.5T, Touring. For the past few months I have been using 93 octane fuel to see if I can tell the difference in performance and mileage. To my surprise over the holidays, I have been consistently getting 41 to 43 MPG and set speeds of 80 miles per hour. Just curious if anyone else out there is seeing this kind of mileage with 93 octane, or even tried it? I've seen 36 to 38 MPG around town. I never use ECON Mode, and have a heavy foot at start up.

·
Registered
867 Posts
Missed this Post , But If Your able to Get Back

I own a 2018 Accord 1.5T, Touring. For the past few months I have been using 93 octane fuel to see if I can tell the difference in performance and mileage. To my surprise over the holidays, I have been consistently getting 41 to 43 MPG and set speeds of 80 miles per hour. Just curious if anyone else out there is seeing this kind of mileage with 93 octane, or even tried it? I've seen 36 to 38 MPG around town. I never use ECON Mode, and have a heavy foot at start up.

Always Responding to Your Post - should be Std. Posting - Proper Etiquette
Anyway Here is some Interesting Reading about E30 and How's It's Heading Our Way - Fast : Now Remember - they didn't look at Fuel Pump Damage or Lines - Rubber Seals - O-Rings etc.
See Our Platform is E15 Rated ( Not Sure of Changes Needed to Run E30 ) I Have Heard - None - But that Person could be from Brazil where it's Common to Run E30 . . :nerd:

http://www.sdfu.org/assets/docs/uploads/gle-e30-challenge-white-paper-1-19-17final.pdf

·
Registered
163 Posts
Do you have comparison numbers before switching octane?

·
Super Moderator
1,925 Posts
What is the cost per mile difference (if there is one). Locally premium is $0.30 more per gallon... so... if you're paying more per gallon but it is the same cost per mile (or more) is there really a savings?

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Always Responding to Your Post - should be Std. Posting - Proper Etiquette
Anyway Here is some Interesting Reading about E30 and How's It's Heading Our Way - Fast : Now Remember - they didn't look at Fuel Pump Damage or Lines - Rubber Seals - O-Rings etc.
See Our Platform is E15 Rated ( Not Sure of Changes Needed to Run E30 ) I Have Heard - None - But that Person could be from Brazil where it's Common to Run E30 . . :nerd:

http://www.sdfu.org/assets/docs/uploads/gle-e30-challenge-white-paper-1-19-17final.pdf
Thanks so much for the info.I am going to check into this.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
What is the cost per mile difference (if there is one). Locally premium is $0.30 more per gallon... so... if you're paying more per gallon but it is the same cost per mile (or more) is there really a savings?
I have not had the car tested, but I can greatly see and feel the difference performance. The savings is not an issue for me. I was just curious if premium helped others out here. I had to use premium fuel for many years. I was surprised at how well the mileage changed.

·
Registered
163 Posts
I've seen around town driving go from 26-27, to 30-31 a gallon. Highway miles from 35-36 to 41-43.
Did the increase occur immediately or did it take time for the ECU to adapt? With that much mileage change, you should have noticed a performance improvement as well. That would would be easier to record accurately. Grab the stopwatch. Of course, that would require some more 87 octane fuel.

·
Super Moderator
1,925 Posts
I have not had the car tested, but I can greatly see and feel the difference performance. The savings is not an issue for me. I was just curious if premium helped others out here. I had to use premium fuel for many years. I was surprised at how well the mileage changed.
No worries... was thinking because the topic stated "Better Fuel Economy With 93 Octane" that there was some monetary savings by going with premium.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I just did some very basic math at the current fuel rates here in my area and it works out to half a penny (USD) to a full penny per mile more to run premium based on the increased fuel economy. So if the car feels better for that price, then rock on! Would be interesting to see some longer term testing/math with it but those seem to be good results for the short term.

I personally am running 87 on my 1.5t. I may do this test at some point but I am enjoying the lower cost fill ups for now :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts