2018 Honda Accord Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

Just signed up, just got a new Accord 2.0T in white. Only had it about a week so far (150 miles as of day), and I noticed I already had some brown spots kicked up on the rear bumper from my wheels. I thought it was just dirt, but as I was trying to wash it away yesterday, it seems like they did fade off a little, but the spots still remain, and they're very noticeable. Tried running my finger on them to see if it was just really stuck on dirt, but cannot feel anything to grab, and my nail isn't scraping any of it off. I bought a bottle of Turtle Wax Bug/Tar remover and tried that today, and that didn't work either.

My question is, does anyone know any other options to try cleaning the stains off? Is it possible that my clearcoat is now stained somehow? Defective paint/clear coat on the bumper?

I'm even more curious if anyone else who has the platinum white pearl model has run into this same issue, where splashes are not cleaning off very well.

I've attached pictures of one of the rear bumpers to show the spots. Any advice would be appreciated.

FYI this is cross-posted also on driveaccord.net, but I wanted to get input from both sets of members.

Attachments

·
Registered
89 Posts
Maybe the obvious but have you tried clay Bar? It has always successfully removed spot/stains from new paint for me. Then I follow up with polish and wax.

·
Registered
21 Posts
lots of youttube vids on protecting paint finishes. to come off, the paint looks fine, its the clear coat that is stained somehow. I would try chemical options first but you may need a compound buff to sand the bad part of the clear off, then polish, and finally wax or sealant. I too bought a white accord, mine is the pearl finished one and will soon be going with the car pro product line to protect the paint. They seem a bit pricy, but when compared to a detail shop, is a bargain! to ceramic coat the car a detail shop here in Hawaii wants $700-1000! You can buy all the products and a high end polisher for about $250 and it will finish mine and the wifes car!

Best of luck!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks all. I wasn't going to clay bar because that removes whatever wax is on it straight from the dealer, and since there's less than 200 miles on the car, it would be ridiculous if I already had to clay bar it.

Damon, what chemical options do you have in mind? I was going to try just some rubbing alcohol since the bug/tar remover didn't help, but I'm also going to notify the dealer as well in the event it's a bad clear coat layer. Besides that, I didn't put any tire shine on the car, and the tires don't look really all too shiny right now either, so I'm not sure if they sprayed any on, and if they did, it's gotta be a matte finish.

Still, I don't have nearly as many spots on my front fender from the front tires, so you figure if they did put tire shine on and that's the culprit, I'd have the same problem on my front fenders too.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok, so I brought the car to the dealer, and their detailer said it was tree sap that was baked into the clear coat. I'm not sure if there are any solutions to that, but they offered to try to buff it out, if not send it out to get repainted. There's only 200 miles on the car now, and I'm not sure if I really want to have the paint redone already for the risk of it not matching, but I guess I'm going to look around to see if there are any solutions to baked in tree sap, and if not, set up an appointment to drop off the car.

·
Registered
21 Posts
sounds like the dealer is the way to go. Glad they are assisting! The chemicals I was referring to were in the car pro line. cant recall the name but I was watching some you tube vids of reviews and they seem to be some good stuff. I'm just wondering on the shelf life cause dont want to invest and they expire in a year.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts