2018 Honda Accord Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

I'm new to the forum and would like some input on purchasing a used Accord Touring 2.0T.

I currently own a 2016 Civic Touring Coupe and while I love the car, I need more power and doors. I'm looking to trading it in for a used 18/19 Accord.

I've been looking around online and have found many listings for used Touring 2.0s and some sport ones as well.

Here are some of my questions and concerns which I hope can be addressed:

1.) Why would anyone be selling their Touring 2.0 this early in the game?
2.) How concerned should I be about the shifting issues (maybe this is why people are selling it?)?
3.) Is a Touring that much more worth it than a Sport, EX, or EX-L?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Total speculation on this:

1. "Yeah I thought I'd like it but I just want more power." or "I miss the 'luxury' of my (insert more expensive luxury car here)." " I really love my new Accord. But the new (faster/luxurious other car here) just came out! I gotta have one!" Financial issues may cause an early sale. Although I would think most of the time it's just a change of heart/mind. Some people jump to different cars like relationships and/or jobs. I guess there COULD be a squeak or rattle that just couldn't be remedied? Long shot and not likely though. People are weird.

2. It's been said that most folks complaining here on forums about issues are in the minority. That's not to say we all complain. I have a 2.0 Touring with no issues in the transmission. Test drives help figure out if a car has issues though. Take 30 minutes or more if you need to or ask to keep a car overnight. Probably a lot more probable on a used a car than new. I don't think shifting issues with the 10sp on the Touring is a big deal. Keep reading here and on other forums. Maybe shy away from a real early 2018 model? ((shrug))

3. This is entirely up to you and your budget. Many of us bought our Accords with the trims that we could afford, or just plain wanted. Many of the extras may not be needed/desired. I would not say one trim level is "better" than any other. Will all the extras in the Touring be more costly or fail down the road? Who knows. I would hope not. Some folks don't like leather seats, or flashier stereos. Frequently the Spouse has a say the selection as well. One can go on and on. Again People are weird. I'd like to think that's what makes us awesome! I'm not sure I could put up with someone just like me who likes everything I like. Well, maybe one... but not everyone! lol

Just off the top of my head on "Alex on Autos" YouTube channel does a nice listing of the packages at the end of his review of the Accord. If you wanted a side by side list, that could help you figure out what is on each if you don't already know.
From what you are looking to do, a used 10th gen Accord could be a good step for you.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply Tusk.

As for the points:

1.) I agree with what you said. My gut keeps saying that the reason there are used Touring 2.0s is because of either an issue with the 10-speed or they got fed up with the button shifter. But the reasons could be anything like you said. Ideal would be if there was nothing wrong with the car and it was just a personal preference.

2.) I've been reading around and it does seem to be a minor issue that has gotten a lot of attention. This is a general principle where the minor things always stand out more. I also learned that the CR-V and Civic oil dilution problem affected a few minority and there were specific reasons for that happening. My only concern would be that I drive 80% city, 20% highway. Currently have no issues with the turbo CVT on my Civic and it has always been smooth and good on gas

3.) The reason I asked this question was because for the Civic I found the Touring upgrades to be well worth it over the others. But for the Accord Touring, I think some of the features that are important to me are:

- Leather seats
- Full LED headlights + high-beams and tail lights
- HUD
- Smaller things like folding mirrors, auto-dimming rear view mirror, rain sensing wipers

Ventilated seats don't seem to be that useful according to many and I don't like the Touring's rims. Moreover, I'm not sure how fond I am of the buttons for the shifter, maybe I'll get used to it?

If I were not to get a Touring then it would be the Sport 2.0 but really I want to know other people's opinions on why they would not go with the Touring.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Even though you're not referring to a hybrid, I can give you perspective on the Touring trim and buying it used:

I bought my 2018 Touring Hybrid with 7,000 miles, and was thinking of the same questions as you state above - especially "why sell this early in the game"?

1) I've had so much history with Honda's that I felt confident in the purchase given that the condition of the car was "primo" - it still smelled new, was very clean, had warranty remaining, etc. Also, it was bought from a BMW Dealer who said, as was stated above, that "the person thought they would like a Honda, but liked the luxury brand BMW better"

2) I've had six previous Accords, including a 2000 EX-VL [my daughter's car now], a 2006 EX-VL [son's car], and a 2008 EX-L that we still own. But this is the first "Touring", and I have to say that all the little amenities that the Touring trim offers [mentioned above] really make it feel much more "luxurious" than previous Accords that I've owned!

3) The wheels on the other trim levels look much better than those on my Touring, but they look good-enough. Plus the smaller wheels help it average 48 mpg.

Hope that helped.
Kirby

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hey, I just bought my 2.0 touring with 4K miles. I was looking at 2017 v6 touring models and a lot were listed for 21k with 50k miles and I found a 2018 listed for 29k with 4K miles and thought it was worth the price difference.

I love the car and it has plenty of power stock, although I have a stage 2 tune. And I do notice some rougher down shifting in sport mode time to time but my F150 does that too in sport mode so it’s somewhat normal to me.

I am disappointed with how fast I go through a tank of gas, and with my driving style I’m averaging 22.6 mpg. If you have a civic you might be disappointed with how often you have to fill up.

Also, without knowing your financial situation. You’re probably better off not selling your civic. Unless your civic is paid off and you’re getting a really good deal on both the trade in and the purchase of the accord it probably makes more sense to just pay off your civic and ride it until the wheels fall off. Take the money you’d be spending on the accord and put it in a 401k or some sort of index stock.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Also, without knowing your financial situation. You’re probably better off not selling your civic. Unless your civic is paid off and you’re getting a really good deal on both the trade in and the purchase of the accord it probably makes more sense to just pay off your civic and ride it until the wheels fall off. Take the money you’d be spending on the accord and put it in a 401k or some sort of index stock.
I take this into consideration as I am still paying off my Civic so it might just be worth it to wait it out until maybe the last refresh before the next model year. Hoping they come out with a good Sport Special Edition that might sway me away from the Touring.

Thanks for the advice!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Where are you located? I've considered selling mine for no other reason than I'm considering a Tesla as a commuter. The 2.0T Touring is brilliant and I love it but we have a third vehicle (an SUV) so would be nice to have two EV's for daily use.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'm in the Northern NJ area so seeing that your in VA this could be a possibility. Please PM the details and it could be something worth considering :)

·
Registered
7 Posts
People are assuming (in general) that the Accord is a great car. In part it is. On the other hand, many people are plagued with electronic/electrical problems that make the want to leave the car in a dumpster.

Ironically, for the most part, the Accord drives really well. Its 2.0T with 10 speed can be a bit rough if you drive with a heavy foot. The car accelerates well, but you get jerked around a bit.

I can personally attest to the electronic problems. My car has been in the shop 4 times to fix multiple warnings of system failures (flashing randomly), persistent console reboots while driving, etc. The Navigation is important to some of us and it is total junk and barely works. The only reason you don’t see more complaints is AA or Carplay can sub for nav in a pinch. There are already class action suits for ‘18 and ‘19 Pilots and Odyssey’s for the same reasons.

So some people just get fed up and unload it. The dealers can’t fix a lot of electronic problems as it is very new for this to be so complicated. I have seen a lot of more loaded Accords for sale with 3-4000 miles on them. Thats about what it takes for someone to realize that they have a lemon (not all the Accords seem to have electronic problems) but not want to fight Honda to buy it back. Litigation is no fun, and sometimes its far better to admit you didn’t have good luck, accept it, and move on.

Thats not to say that buying a low mileage Accord id bad. Some cars Never have problems. Some do. Personally, I wouldn’t take the risk on a $28K used car. Someone got rid of it early. It may be simple - like financial. But you won’t know until you can own the car.

·
Registered
212 Posts
You can probably find a used 2018 (or 2019) of every model of a manufacturer's car out there. It's not unusual. So, finding a used 2018 Accord says nothing about why it is being let go. Only the previous owner can tell you exactly why.

Also, not every car has problems, but some do. Cars are very complex these days, and first year releases are bond to have bugs to be addressed. With the exception of the disappearing HUD compass, I haven't had any other problems with my 2018 2.0T Accord Touring. I also bought a first year release expecting a glitch or two. However, I was also confident that Honda would correct any issues, which they have.

To answer your questions succinctly:
  1. Only the previous owner can answer that question.
  2. What shifting issue? Mine shifts fine. But then again, I don't drive like I'm on a race course.
  3. Only you can answer that question.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts