2018 Honda Accord Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

You know how you're driving, get to your destination but you're really into the music that is on so you'd like to turn off the engine but wait for the end of the song to **** down the car completely?

Well, back when I had a regular ignition, that was easy to do with the key but now I don't know how to do that with the stop/start button.

Anyone found out?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Its easy too, just hold the shifter locking button ( the silver button on the shifter) down when you press the start/stop button. Now, when it comes to the push button transmission, NO CLUE sorry. Maybe if you keep pressing the P (Park) button??

·
Registered
212 Posts
ok that was actually easy! you just need to put the car in neutral before turning the engine off and the music stays on
I tried this several times and could not get it to work. Each time, everything shut off and the transmission shifted into Park.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Is there a way to subscribe to notifications on a topic without replying to it? I'm curious how to do this too and won't be Abe to try for a few days. Thanks.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Is there a way to subscribe to notifications on a topic without replying to it? I'm curious how to do this too and won't be Abe to try for a few days. Thanks.
Click on "Thread Tools" just above the 1st post, then click "Subscribe to this Thread".

·
Super Moderator
2,343 Posts
I tried this several times and could not get it to work. Each time, everything shut off and the transmission shifted into Park.
Sounds like @Juggleben is putting the car in "car wash mode"... see attachment below... you have to hit the neutral button, then hit it again and hold it for 2 seconds... once you do that and hit the start/stop button it puts the ignition in "accessory" mode.

Attachments

·
Registered
212 Posts
Great find @Fired00d! I just tried the "Car Wash" mode sequence and it worked. It's a PITA to go through, but it worked.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I'll try again later but I remember just putting the car in neutral (regular press of the button) then the start/stop button and it shut down the engine but kept the music on. I'll confirm tomorrow

·
Super Moderator
2,343 Posts
I'll try again later but I remember just putting the car in neutral (regular press of the button) then the start/stop button and it shut down the engine but kept the music on. I'll confirm tomorrow
It may be a case where the second push of the neutral button isn't neccessary and if you just hold the button down a couple seconds the results will be the same... haven't tried either way to verify, I just remember reading about the "car wash" mode in the manual

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
bad news! I was not able to reproduce what happened last time. It does shut down when I do what I described...I'll keep looking into it....

·
Super Moderator
2,343 Posts
bad news! I was not able to reproduce what happened last time. It does shut down when I do what I described...I'll keep looking into it....
I did confirm today that if you use the "car wash" mode way it will keep the radio on as @Keyboard did yesterday.

·
Registered
212 Posts
It may be a case where the second push of the neutral button isn't neccessary and if you just hold the button down a couple seconds the results will be the same... haven't tried either way to verify, I just remember reading about the "car wash" mode in the manual
"Car Wash" mode works:

1. Bring car to a stop (Obviously).
  2. Put Parking Brake on.
  3. Push Neutral Button once;
  4. Push Neutral again and hold for 2 seconds. The display changes to let you know you can leave the car.
  5. Push START/STOP button to stop the engine.
  6. The car is now in Accessory Mode without interrupting the radio.
When done with the radio, put the car in Park and everything turns off.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Ok that's good news!

I took my car to the dealer for the recall on the back up camera today. Asked the "tech" about it, told me it was impossible. Mentioned the car wash mode. He told me that would turn the radio off. Oh well....not the first time I find out they don't know everything.

I was able to reproduce what happened to me last time tho. I had to remember and the process is rather odd.

here's how I got there, it's pretty specific and not practical haha:

I park tandem in my building and sometimes, I switch the cars because my girl leaves earlier than me in the morning (now you get to know my life a little more....)
So I position my car in a way that I can back up in the spot
turn my car off
move my girl's car
get into my car, I do not put my seat belt on
start the engine
put the car in reverse (R)
back up into the sport
put the car in neutral (normally just press N)
press the start/stop button = engine shuts down, radio stays on, screen display "neutral mode on, press P when done"

I believe that is different than the car wash mode.

Unfortunately, it looks like you can get there only in that sequence.

If the car wash mode works, that's cool!

·
Registered
212 Posts
@Juggleben , I tried your sequence and it worked as well. The owner's manual says nothing about this method.

So, there are two ways to keep the music playing after you shut the engine off:
Press N (neutral) once, then again for 2 seconds (i.e., Car Wash Mode).
- or -
Press R (reverse), then Press N (neutral) (i.e., Juggleben Mode :)).
Press START/STOP button to stop the engine.
When done with the radio (i.e., Accessory Mode), Press P (park) and everything shuts off.

NOTES:

1. Don't forget to put the Parking Brake on to keep the car from rolling.
  2. At night the AUTO headlights may stay on until you open the door or turn them off.

·
Registered
11 Posts
@Juggleben , I tried your sequence and it worked as well. The owner's manual says nothing about this method.

So, there are two ways to keep the music playing after you shut the engine off:
Press N (neutral) once, then again for 2 seconds (i.e., Car Wash Mode).
- or -
Press R (reverse), then Press N (neutral) (i.e., Juggleben Mode :)).
Press START/STOP button to stop the engine.
When done with the radio (i.e., Accessory Mode), Press P (park) and everything shuts off.

NOTES:

1. Don't forget to put the Parking Brake on to keep the car from rolling.
  2. At night the AUTO headlights may stay on until you open the door or turn them off.
HEHEHE, you guys and your fancy push transmission :devil:

·
Registered
26 Posts
I have a 2019 Odyssey also and I notice a few differences between the operation of both vehicles even though they’re both Honda’s purchased at the same time. Sometimes it’s like the design teams didn’t come together to collaborate and share ideas with other vehicle departments - strange. My Odyssey keeps the radio on after engine goes off until you open the driver door. The Odyssey navigation also has better notifications like chimes for a text instead of just a little beep. My Odyssey shows the speed limit on the map (I know the Accord has the camera speed limit but that’s iffy and sometimes shows 100 for route 100.. The Odyssey has far superior ambient lighting which is a joke in the Accord in comparison. It also monitors tire pressure and beeps at you when it’s full with the air pump. Why couldn’t they integrate these simple things in the Accord too? On the flip side there are things the Odyssey doesn’t do like auto engaging parking brake in park when engine is shut off, doesn’t heat rear seats, etc. In my opinion top models of both lines should offer the same types of features and operate the same way. I guess it boils down to different design lead times as well as a decision of where to cut costs to reach target price points...

1 - 20 of 21 Posts