2018 Honda Accord Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I downloaded iOS12 the other day and completely forgot about the new updates to CarPlay. Wanting to see how Google Maps would look on the screen I went ahead and plugged my phone in and waited for the head unit to pull up the CarPlay app icon like it has done since day one.

I waited... and waited.... and waited. Nothing. Restarted my phone a few times, shut the car off.. NADA. I went in and saw that it still had a history of my phone being connected in the connection settings under 'Smart Devices.' I clicked "Connect" and a message popped up saying "No Smart Device Connected."

After messing with settings on my phone, deleting my phone from the cars history and using both USB ports I still can't get the CarPlay app icon to come up or for the head unit to recognize my phone is connected at all. I can't play music now through USB, only bluetooth.

Just wondering if anyone else is experiencing the same issue? I have an iPhoneX if that helps and it worked perfectly before the update.

·
Registered
151 Posts
The thing about powering off the phone is that it reloads the low level USB drivers which may not happen when you simply do a reset. My friend having this problem on his Android was shocked when I went thru my mental checklist and finally powered down his phone and turned it back on. Not saying this will be the case with the iPhone X but the X's architecture is somewhat different from older phones, so I think it's worth a shot.

·
Registered
4 Posts
OK, here's a basic question: Does turn-by-turn navigation work in the heads-up-display (HUD) for Apple CarPlay?

I have an iPhone and it never used to work for me. Then, I connected my friend's Android phone and we tried using Google Maps and Waze to navigate. Turn-by-turn navigation showed up in the HUD for both of them. It is exactly similar to the directions we get when using the stock Garmin maps, which is the car's navigation system.

However, this never showed up when using Apple Maps with Carplay. I thought the latest release of iOS 12 would fix it as it now allows Google Maps and Waze in CarPlay. But, I was wrong. I updated my Google Maps App and started using them it in CarPlay. Still no turn-by-turn navigation in HUD. My conclusion is that it is Apple's restrictive policy that doesn't let any maps send these directions to HUD. The Waze CarPlay update isn't out yet, but I'll definitely try it and let you guys know. I'm fairly certain it won't work as well.

The Andriod phones seem to work just fine. Thoughts?

·
Registered
151 Posts
There's a report on the forum that turn by turn is fixed with the rear camera software update. I don't have mine updated yet, but can verify that the turn by turn on the console (I don't have HUD) isn't there. For that matter, it's explicitly stated in the manual that turn by turn is only on Android Phones. I'm just happy to have Google Maps so I don't have to carry a spare Android or run my iPhone on a vent mount (GRRR). I did the vent mount once to run WAZE in Boston where it helped me with crazy traffic pattern avoidance (Apple Maps just went into a recalc loop).

·
Registered
42 Posts
Once i updated my iPhone X to IOS12 it worked perfectly and had google maps ok on my screen. I tried a few addresses and it seemed to work ok. Not sure what else to say. No Waze yet as they are still working on their beta for IOS12.
DD

·
Registered
151 Posts
Well I jinxed myself. After updating to iOS 12 apple play work great for two whole days. Now it is not working at all. Still get the message no smart phone found.
I suggest you kill all other non-essential apps. If it worked before, there's something interfering. Mine sometimes throws up that no smartphone found error but I just disconnect and reconnect it and it usually goes away. If killing all other active apps doesn't help, I suggest powering it off, then on again.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts