2018 Honda Accord Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Love my 2018 car...however I miss a cd player. Is there something available that is compatible with the audio system that will allow cds to be played?

·
Super Moderator
826 Posts
Burn the CD's you want to listen to, to a thumb drive as MP3's. You can get a lot more songs/music on a reasonably sized thumb drive that you can plug into your car.

·
Registered
46 Posts
You just need to rip your collection once. Do it right with album art too if you want.

Then you can load the MP3 anywhere. You won’t be able to tell the difference between CD quality and a good MP3 rip if you’re worried about sound quality.

Btw, even if this car did have a CD player I would never use it. It’s like Acura keeping cassette players in their 2008 TL. Makes little sense.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Better off just uploading the music to your phone or a USB. There are portable CD players that connect to a USB, but that's a backwards approach.

·
Registered
3 Posts
USB Thumb Drive Format

Ditto . . . .
-------------------------
Something I learned using USB Thumb Drive. When I formatted my 64 GB 3.0 USB Thumb Drive with Windows 10 exFAT, loaded the mp3 music into the Thumb Drive. Went to the Accord, plugged into USB 1 socket, it was not recognized. Plugged into USB 2 socket, it was not recognized.

Using a MAC OS X Sierra, formatted the Thumb Drive to FAT32, loaded the mp3 music into the Thumb Drive. Repeated the same thing: Went to the Accord, plugged into USB 1 socket, it was not recognized. Plugged into USB 2 socket, it was not recognized.

Went to the Dealership to check it out. Service tech using their own Thumb Drive, use their Windows 7 PC to format the drive to FAT32, loaded 1 mp3 song, plugged into USB 1 socket, it was recognized and started playing.

Then the Honda tech help me to format my 64 GB thumb drive using Honda PC Windows 7 FAT32, loaded 1 mp3 song, plugged into my Accord USB 1 socket, and it started to play the song.

Lesson learned, Windows 10 exFAT format is not recognized by Honda Infotainment System !!

----------------------
2018 Accord 2.0 Touring

·
Registered
318 Posts
That's great to know, thanks for the heads up. A lot of new cars can be a little finicky with supported formats. Does this mean you'll have to be using an older OS of Windows?

·
Registered
534 Posts
You just need to rip your collection once. Do it right with album art too if you want.

Then you can load the MP3 anywhere. You won’t be able to tell the difference between CD quality and a good MP3 rip if you’re worried about sound quality.

Btw, even if this car did have a CD player I would never use it. It’s like Acura keeping cassette players in their 2008 TL. Makes little sense.
Just take 278 Cd" with 10-14 Songs = 3336 Individual Songs & Clip Art - Personal Labels . Spend 42 Hours with Your Computer .
In this Day & Age - It should be a $39.00 Service Fee to have all You Music Swapped out to be able to be Used - for the Lack of Equipment . . Through Honda - what does Dealers Customer Service Fee
$395-$595 do anyway ?:surprise:

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hundreds of CDs

Since I HAVE hundreds of CDs, mostly Classical, ripping to MP3 would only DISORGANIZE my music. Lumping them into any thumb drive would not only take precious time, but it would create a GLOB where I want to listen to complete symphonies or specific, CD-sized collections. So, CONNECTION of a CD player is HIGHLY preferable.

IS there a way to connect a CD player???

Honda SHOULD have provided for 3-6 CD changer option!

How many owners of the 10-speed Touring Edition are under 50? And AREN'T Baby Boomers STILL the largest segment of the population????

·
Registered
143 Posts
Agree with all the above, plus the infotainment's USB interface is pretty fast unlike other older units that take forever to read large directories/TOC's. Just be aware that not all formats are supported - mp3's are the safest way to go.

·
Super Moderator
826 Posts
Since I HAVE hundreds of CDs, mostly Classical, ripping to MP3 would only DISORGANIZE my music. Lumping them into any thumb drive would not only take precious time, but it would create a GLOB where I want to listen to complete symphonies or specific, CD-sized collections. So, CONNECTION of a CD player is HIGHLY preferable.

IS there a way to connect a CD player???

Honda SHOULD have provided for 3-6 CD changer option!

How many owners of the 10-speed Touring Edition are under 50? And AREN'T Baby Boomers STILL the largest segment of the population????
Unfortunately CD's have become dinosaurs such as 8 tracks, albums, & cassettes... I would suggest if you want to "listen to complete symphonies, or specific, CD-sized collections" you get thumb drives specific to the size you will need to rip those collections to MP3's on and use them to listen to what you want. As much of a PITA as it will be I don't see the (auto) industry going backwards... at least they haven't as far as offering cassettes, or 8 tracks.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Short answer: No
Long answer: I doubt you can connect a CD player to the car via USB. Why? Think of the "infotainment" center as a stripped down tablet. Now, doubtfully, this unit has drivers that can recognize a USB device that works on anything except fat32 partition types. CD/DVD/BlueRay are IS09660 format. Also, if it did have drivers for the CD player, you got to think the external CD player is also dealing with bumpy roads so you may damage your media and/or CD player vs the design of an in-dash cd player with extra absorption (I don't know). Thirdly, are you really wanting to keep 100's of cd's in your car? Computer CD players/burners are 48x or 56x speeds. So a 60 minute cd would take approximately 5 minutes to rip ( actually less but lets say you got a low end pc, thats including conversion to mp3 and adding album art and placing it in folders in a neat organized way).
Alternatively, you could also download your music from the internet. You do own it so you are not stealing it.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts