2018 Honda Accord Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to change the manual gear shift knob in my '18 Accord Sport. I can unscrew the knob but the boot is still attached at the collar.

Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
318 Posts
What sort of aftermarket knobs are you looking at? I don't think there is going to be a way to easily remove the stock boot.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I've got a few different ones and have some inserts to match the threads. I've never had a problem before but this boot is attached at the collar and it isn't obvious how to separate it without wrecking it.

·
Registered
151 Posts
You might have to pop off the whole plate/boot in order to slide it off. Usually there are just a couple of clips that hold it into the center console that need to be compressed with a screwdriver.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I'm interested in how to get the trim around the shift boot off also.. I've got a TWM knob from my Si that I'd like to put on the accord.. I know that you can push down on the trim ring right under the knob to remove the boot. But I would like to remove the shift boot also. That way I can secure it from underneath to the bottom of the new knob for a oem look.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Getting my black Sport 2.0T out in the heat for the first time this week, I notice something I hadn't experienced since by 2002 Civic - the "loose" gear shift knob. When it gets hot, it turns so easily that you need to reposition it later in the day.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I experienced the same thing on mine. It was still tight enough to hold the position but any torque I applied would easily turn the knob. That was on a 90 deg day. I worried about the full summer heat living in Florida.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Getting my black Sport 2.0T out in the heat for the first time this week, I notice something I hadn't experienced since by 2002 Civic - the "loose" gear shift knob. When it gets hot, it turns so easily that you need to reposition it later in the day.
This among many other downsides to parking outdoors all the time is why I'm glad my cars mostly stay in garages. Sun can do a lot of damage over time that is irreversible

·
Registered
13 Posts
Well I figured it out , remove the two trim pieces that are the outer most part of the center console. They are long so start prying where they start under the dash. Then the entire center part around the shifter will pop up. Removing the trim around the push button start and opposite side helps also. Here is a pic.. sorry it's sideways.. Iphone giving me fits..

Attachments

·
Registered
3 Posts
I'm trying to access the head unit but I need to take off the shifter to remove console. Trying to push the collar down to access the screws, but can't seem to get it to release. Don't want to scratch/break it, is there a trick to it that I'm missing?

Thanks!

·
Registered
3 Posts
I never could get the trim collar to release. Called the dealership but they never got back to me.

Wound up unclipping the console without removing the shifter knob, releasing the boot, and maneuvered the console away from where the receiver was so I could make all my connections to the stereo.

Doesn't really fit with the OPs goal, but might be of use if someone else stumbles here out of desperation haha.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I figured out how to do it without removing the console trim. Pull down on the boot/trim ring to reveal the white clips, use something on both sides at the same time and push the clips in and the boot will come loose. No more removing the whole console for a simple shifter knob LoL!

Attachments

·
Registered
6 Posts
I just picked up my Accord MT on Thursday and the stock knob rotates very easily with minimal effort. Is this normal or do I need to pop off the trim, disengage the collar from the boot and tighten the knob down?

·
Registered
44 Posts
I just picked up my Accord MT on Thursday and the stock knob rotates very easily with minimal effort. Is this normal or do I need to pop off the trim, disengage the collar from the boot and tighten the knob down?

Mine was the same way. The dealership tightened it easily at my first service many months ago. It has not loosened since.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts