2018 Honda Accord Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Completed the first oil change on my 18 2.0 Touring. Guess I am just programmed to check all fluid levels when changing the oil and for the life of me could not locate the dipstick for the auto tranny. So that leads me to a few questions. How does one check the tranny fluid level and even more importantly, is the fluid serviceable? I checked the owners manual and the only reference to a transmission fluid change was the 1.5 model.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Do you have the 10 speed auto, or the CVT trans? Honda did away with dip sticks for the transmissions. Both require the car being on a level surface, because you now remove a bolt and check for the transmission fluid dripping out the bolt hold. The two images show the level check procedure for both CVT and AT.

Attachments

·
Administrator
2,559 Posts
Do you have the 10 speed auto, or the CVT trans? Honda did away with dip sticks for the transmissions. Both require the car being on a level surface, because you now remove a bolt and check for the transmission fluid dripping out the bolt hold. The two images show the level check procedure for both CVT and AT.
With there not being a dipstick are there any warnings to indicate fluid level is low? I couldn't find anything in the manual that specifically states "low transmission fluid"... there is a "transmission warning" light but manual doesn't say that the display of the light could indicate low fluid as one of the reasons it would illuminate (see attachments). Also in the maintenance minder it speaks of changing transmission fluid in the CVT transmission does the fluid need servicing in the 10 speed automatic's too?

I'm not one to check transmission fluid as part of owner maintenance unless I see signs of it leaking... my experience is that unless you see some type of leak the fluid doesn't get low, and as long as you follow the recommended maintenance (changing fluid) its not a big deal.

Attachments

·
Administrator
2,559 Posts
Touring has the 10 speed. Is the transmission fluid serviceable?
That was my question too...
.... Also in the maintenance minder it speaks of changing transmission fluid in the CVT transmission does the fluid need servicing in the 10 speed automatic's too?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Touring has the 10 speed. Is the transmission fluid serviceable?
That was my question too...
Its servicable you can drain and fill the transmission like any other honda. But it does not have a dip stick, and it does not have a level sensor. I dont like not having dip sticks but thats the direction honda went with the new designs.

·
Administrator
2,559 Posts
Its servicable you can drain and fill the transmission like any other honda. But it does not have a dip stick, and it does not have a level sensor. I dont like not having dip sticks but thats the direction honda went with the new designs.
Thanks for the info... is that service interval the same as the CVT?

·
Registered
71 Posts
While I had my Touring 1.5 in for service I heard the Service Tech tell a customer the CVT fluid change is due at 30K miles and cost $149. I asked him about the 10 speed and he said that costs much more but does not have to be changed as often. I think he said $350 at 60K miles. I did not ask why the big difference since I have the CVT. Hard to believe you need to change it at 60K miles when other vehicles suggest 100K but I guess it depends on what fluid Honda uses.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Completed the first oil change on my 18 2.0 Touring. Guess I am just programmed to check all fluid levels when changing the oil and for the life of me could not locate the dipstick for the auto tranny. So that leads me to a few questions. How does one check the tranny fluid level and even more importantly, is the fluid serviceable? I checked the owners manual and the only reference to a transmission fluid change was the 1.5 model.
There is not dipstick. Its a plug on the casting and a closed system.
Their service recommends the dealer check it at the later maintenance dates.

·
Registered
8 Posts
While I had my Touring 1.5 in for service I heard the Service Tech tell a customer the CVT fluid change is due at 30K miles and cost $149. I asked him about the 10 speed and he said that costs much more but does not have to be changed as often. I think he said $350 at 60K miles. I did not ask why the big difference since I have the CVT. Hard to believe you need to change it at 60K miles when other vehicles suggest 100K but I guess it depends on what fluid Honda uses.
wrong wrong wrong

the maintenance minder tells you when the cvt fluid is due, not just at 30k

also wrong about the 10 speed trans

service techs say all kinds of things, go to another dealer, they say something else

·
Administrator
2,559 Posts
wrong wrong wrong

service techs say all kinds of things, go to another dealer, they say something else
Better yet go to Honda Owner website and download the "Maintenance Main Items" and "Maintenance Sub Items" to see exactly what should be done when the maintenance minder is showing a service due.

·
Registered
71 Posts
wrong wrong wrong

Thanks. Yes, you are correct. I did not know transmission fluid change was included in the maintenance minder. I have read the entire 600+ pages and that doesn't include the 300+ Nav System manual and it's just to much for me to remember all this stuff. I just checked the manual and it's code 3 (transmission fluid change) with the exception of this note:

Driving in mountainous areas at very low vehicle speeds results in higher transmission temperatures.
This requires transmission fluid changes more frequently than recommended by the Maintenance
Minder. If you regularly drive your vehicle under these conditions, have the transmission fluid changed
every 25,000 miles (40,000 km).

But we don't live in the mountains or drive at very low speeds so I will wait for the computer to tell me when to service it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I just went to to Honda Dealer in NJ for oil change for 2018 EX-L 2.0 and they told me I should change transmission fluid. I have 34K miles in a year of driving it. Price for it is $119... I thought I need to do it at around 60K but I drive a lot as you can tell so what should I do? Please advise. Thank you ?

·
Administrator
2,559 Posts
I just went to to Honda Dealer in NJ for oil change for 2018 EX-L 2.0 and they told me I should change transmission fluid. I have 34K miles in a year of driving it. Price for it is $119... I thought I need to do it at around 60K but I drive a lot as you can tell so what should I do? Please advise. Thank you ?
What is your Maint. Minder indicating?... If it's showing sub item "3" than that would indicate the trans fluid needs changing.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have been pretty handy, on my previous cars, I have been able to change all the fluids! Bought my new accord, and so far so Good until this transmission dipstick failure on honda!! I feel its all about going to the service department and them trying to real in your money! It was recommended I get new tires, "which btw i did prior to going there", I was recommended i do an oil change, brake fluid flush, air cabin filter, and air filter, and they came out with a ridiculous price! Upon telling them All i needed was my trunk to open, they tried all the sales tactics. Soooo if your rear trunk does not open look for a button under the glove compartment, I accidentally pressed it changing the air cabin filter. Mind you the owners manual makes no mention of that button. But I am caught up with this transmission fluid change, Just want to find the dam filler hole, and I am afraid of over filling the fluid! I guess they got my by the nutsack here, since I cant find nothing on line where to locate it. The last place i checked was under the air filter, in the front engine compartment, and all i found was a mice nest! LOL!! Guess I am going to tell them, Change the transmission fluid only, and I am going to ask the mechanice where is this dam refill hole! BTW I have a touring 2.0 CVT engine, which is slightly different then the other models!

·
Registered
1 Posts
@TheAsian
Thank you for posting these. Where did you find them? I couldn't find this at techinfo honda.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts