2018 Honda Accord Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought my accord 1.5 touring in March
So it was in cold weather before and climate control was working properly.

This cold season it started to blow cold air after 20-30 min driving. Sure it takes some time to warm up after engine start but it is 3-7 mins.

So how it happens:
- engine turn on and set the temp control to Hi or more than 75
- in 2 min set temp to 69-70
- in 5 min set temp to 62
- comfort in car cabin for 10-20 min
- cold air is blowing and it becomes really colder than should be
- I have to set 69-70 to get comfort temp

How it used to be:

I visited a dealer today - they found nothing.
Any idea how to fix it?

·
Registered
163 Posts
I bought my accord 1.5 touring in March
So it was in cold weather before and climate control was working properly.

This cold season it started to blow cold air after 20-30 min driving. Sure it takes some time to warm up after engine start but it is 3-7 mins.

So how it happens:
- comfort in car cabin for 10-20 min
- cold air is blowing and it becomes really colder than should be
- I have to set 69-70 to get comfort temp

How it used to be:

I visited a dealer today - they found nothing.
Any idea how to fix it?
I have always approached climate control in the same way I approach my home thermostat. Just set and forget. It is called automatic climate control for a reason. On a cold morning the coolant is at ambient so the system will shut off the fan and outside air flow. As the car warms it will direct warm air to the cabin targeting your setting. As it continues to warm toward the max engine coolant temp, the warm air to the cabin will be adjusted downward to maintain your setting. If working correctly, the cabin temp should not change during your drive.

Not clear why you use this method. I just turn to 71 or 72 degrees and not touch it again. I do the same with the a/c on only I set at 73 degrees for the summer weather. Had several cars with auto climate control. They all function pretty much the same way. There is a solar sensor in the system as well, located on top the dash on the passenger side. It recognizes direct sunlight through the windshield and adjusts the system accordingly, winter or summer.

·
Registered
200 Posts
I agree with @Ghawkins. Just set your ideal temperature, make sure the AUTO button is lit, and leave it alone. The Climate Control System will keep things comfortable for you automatically (summer and winter).

·
Registered
163 Posts
I agree with @Ghawkins. Just set your ideal temperature, make sure the AUTO button is lit, and leave it alone. The Climate Control System will keep things comfortable for you automatically (summer and winter).
Actually, the AUTO button does not need to be lit. All that does is bring the a/c compressor into the picture. The automatic temperature control is maintained through the heat range as in colder weather. Running in AUTO in moderate or cold weather might have the a/c running as the heater is working against it. Not good for gas mileage or compressor wear. I just use the AUTO setting during warmer weather. I also dislike the parasitic drag that becomes obvious with low hp engines, although this is not an issue with our 2.0T.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Actually, the AUTO button does not need to be lit. All that does is bring the a/c compressor into the picture. The automatic temperature control is maintained through the heat range as in colder weather. Running in AUTO in moderate or cold weather might have the a/c running as the heater is working against it. Not good for gas mileage or compressor wear. I just use the AUTO setting during warmer weather. I also dislike the parasitic drag that becomes obvious with low hp engines, although this is not an issue with our 2.0T.
I'm not sure what you state (in bold) is totally true. The AUTO button is not just for activating the A/C. It is to allow the system to decide whether to use either the heater or A/C to maintain your cabin temperature, as well as fan speed.

On page 239 of the Owner's Manual it says:
"The automatic climate control system maintains the interior temperature you select. The system also selects the proper mix of heated or cooled air that raises or lowers the interior temperature to your preference as quickly as possible."
I interpret that to mean it brings in heat when needed or cool air when needed, but not both at the same time.

I leave my AUTO button on all year long (i.e., lit), and have done this on all the cars that I've had with Automatic Climate Control. My cabin temperature is set to 74° year round, and it automatically fires up the A/C in hot weather and the heater in cold weather.

My gas mileage and compressor wear haven't been noticeably impacted either. However, other than this 2.0T, my other Accords with Automatic Climate Control have been V6's. So, I can't speak to the affects on I4's and 1.5T's.

·
Registered
163 Posts
I'm not sure what you state (in bold) is totally true. The AUTO button is not just for activating the A/C. It is to allow the system to decide whether to use either the heater or A/C to maintain your cabin temperature, as well as fan speed.

On page 239 of the Owner's Manual it says:
"The automatic climate control system maintains the interior temperature you select. The system also selects the proper mix of heated or cooled air that raises or lowers the interior temperature to your preference as quickly as possible."
I interpret that to mean it brings in heat when needed or cool air when needed, but not both at the same time.

I leave my AUTO button on all year long (i.e., lit), and have done this on all the cars that I've had with Automatic Climate Control. My cabin temperature is set to 74° year round, and it automatically fires up the A/C in hot weather and the heater in cold weather.

My gas mileage and compressor wear haven't been noticeably impacted either. However, other than this 2.0T, my other Accords with Automatic Climate Control have been V6's. So, I can't speak to the affects on I4's and 1.5T's.
Like you I had previous Accords with auto climate control. Not certain how any of the manuals address this, but the reality of the operation that climate temp is maintained on the heat side only with the AUTO off. Just check it yourself. This means no parasitic drag from the a/c compressor during colder weather. I had and have three VWs that operated in the same manner. The compressor will work (above about 38 F) if you are using either of the defrost settings. Lowering humidity speeds defrosting. Always used these settings on my earlier 4 cyl Accords and VWs to minimize the drag on performance and gas mileage for these slower cars. Anytime a/c is not needed I make certain to kill the AUTO control. In winter interior temp remains at my setting.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Like you I had previous Accords with auto climate control. Not certain how any of the manuals address this, but the reality of the operation that climate temp is maintained on the heat side only with the AUTO off. Just check it yourself. This means no parasitic drag from the a/c compressor during colder weather. I had and have three VWs that operated in the same manner. The compressor will work (above about 38 F) if you are using either of the defrost settings. Lowering humidity speeds defrosting. Always used these settings on my earlier 4 cyl Accords and VWs to minimize the drag on performance and gas mileage for these slower cars. Anytime a/c is not needed I make certain to kill the AUTO control. In winter interior temp remains at my setting.
OK. I was just going by what the Owner's Manual said and my usage. Since I always kept AUTO on all year, I never noticed how it worked otherwise.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Hello all,

Question on the topic: I do leave mine on auto as well, all year long, same temperature, "computer" deals with it :) What I had in the summer tho, was the re-circulation of air. Which I like because it makes me feel like I'm keeping the bad smells and pollution out (one can dream). I don't know if it's because it's "colder" (I live in SoCal - so not cold per say), but now, when I press the re-circulation button, it de-activates the AUTO function

Thoughts?

·
Registered
200 Posts
Hello all,

Question on the topic: I do leave mine on auto as well, all year long, same temperature, "computer" deals with it :) What I had in the summer tho, was the re-circulation of air. Which I like because it makes me feel like I'm keeping the bad smells and pollution out (one can dream). I don't know if it's because it's "colder" (I live in SoCal - so not cold per say), but now, when I press the re-circulation button, it de-activates the AUTO function

Thoughts?
The system is working properly; however, it seems that you misunderstand the function of the recirculate button.

The recirculate button is used to select whether to let fresh air into the cabin (button unlit) or to recirculate the cabin air (button lit, no fresh air). Normally, the button is unlit to allow fresh air to come into the cabin.

Think of it this way ... If there is fowl air in the cabin, then if the recirculate button is lit (active), then it will keep the fowl air in the car. I.e., it is recirculating the fowl air. However, if the recirculate button is not lit (off), then the fowl air is gradually replaced with fresh, clean air.

When in AUTO mode, the recirculate button comes on and off automatically as needed. In AUTO mode it may initially be lit to help quickly cool down or warm up the current cabin air to reach your preferred temperature. Once your preferred temperature is reached the, the recirculate light goes out and fresh air then flows into the cabin. If you press the recirculate button, then the AUTO button light goes out, in which case you are overriding the auto function and telling the system that you will decide when to let fresh air into the cabin.

·
Registered
200 Posts
One other use of the recirculate button ...
I will activate the function when driving through a dusty area, smoky area, or behind a vehicle spewing fowl exhausts. This helps stop the fowl outside air from entering the cabin until I clear the area.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I found this in the manual on page 492 talking about the Econ button (2019 model)..

"ECON Button
While in ECON mode, the climate control system has
greater temperature fluctuations."

I drive in Econ mode 90% of the time and have experienced issues with the system still putting out a lot of heat when set at 64 degrees, even though it is well above 70 in the car.
I will try turning off Econ mode the next time I experience this.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts